PDA

View Full Version : studless Hakka 5 winter tires

chinapat
11-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi... this is perhaps a stupid question, but I have ordered a set of Nokian studless winter tires based on everyone's recommendations. Should get them installed in next 2 weeks. Dealer said they were "Hakkapeliitta 5", but now after a little research, I only find information on "Hakkapeliitta 5 - studded".

do they also come studless?

-chinapat

Ozzie
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Per Nokian web site:

Hakkapeliitta 5 - studded
Hakkapeliitta R - not studded

Hope this helps.
ozzie

Art
11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
You might want to get a second opinion. The tire shop (a nokian dealer) where I go refuses to stud tires unless they are new. From what I understand, small stones, grit, etc…will get lodged inside of the holes causing the studs to fall out.

wgriswold
11-04-2008, 05:31 PM
I've had snow tires for the last 34 years, some studded and some not. You cannot stud tires that have been used.

chinapat
11-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi - thanks for the replies. Tires are new - not used. I think I have my answer from another source, which is that Hakka 5's are shipped to dealers both studded and studless. The studless versions can be later studded by the dealer, or driven "as is".

I don't know much about winter tires (read: I don't know anything about winter tires), but running tires with lots of little holes doesn't sound optimal to me?

Art
11-04-2008, 10:31 PM
The studless versions can be later studded by the dealer

Hmmm…are you sure about that? Assuming that the studless versions of the Hakka 5's have the pre-drilled holes then they can't be brought back to the shop to be studded after they have been driven on.

I don't know much about winter tires (read: I don't know anything about winter tires), but running tires with lots of little holes doesn't sound optimal to me?

I'm no expert either. I have a set of Nokian winter LT's on my Ford Ranger and opted not to stud them so the tiny pre-shaped holes are still there. As far as I know, there's no downside to driving on them.

billr99
11-05-2008, 05:58 AM

I've driven on "studdable" snows, some with studs installed and some with the wee holes, and never had a problem. The holes do not have any more effect on handling than the already pretty open tread design inherent in snow tires. Frankly, I'm not much of a fan of studs in that you have a tendency to ride up on the studs unless you are on hard-pack snow or ice. Makes things a bit squirrelly in the dry, both in braking and cornering. Even in Northern Ontario, we didn't have hard-pack conditions often or severe enough to warrant the hassle. For me, a snow with a decent compound that is a good compromise between soft enough for cold-weather grip and hard enough to last on warmer dry pavement is a good setup. Over the years, the best snows I've run into have been Nokia, Gislaveds, and Pirelli. Good compromises with decent life and cold weather grip. I did the Blizzak and Yok things but found them to be too soft with poor handling. I even ran cheap 4 ply nylon Cooper snows when I rallied and even something that primitive can work when it part of the right setup (on an old Datsun 510).

In any case, your new Nokias will work good so don't worry about the holes.

Later,

Bill