PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Interval

Mitch
11-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey guys...I searched around but couldn't seem to find the answer...

What's the recommended timiring bell replacement interval?

Thanks!

BillAileo
11-01-2008, 11:58 AM
105,000 miles on your 2.5T. Some folks recommend doing it earlier than that schedule.

JRL
11-01-2008, 04:05 PM
READ THIS POST,
There are NO VOLVO'S with a 120K miles timing belt interval
105K for all cars after 1999

BillAileo
11-01-2008, 04:31 PM
JRL is absolutely correct. However, something must be amiss with the 2004 VADIS data CD. It designates 105k for the B5244s and B52x4T engines but designates 120k for the B5254T2, which is what I believe is in the 2003 XC70. However, the schedule of maintenance in the US warranty booklet specifies 105k miles or 10 years. So I'd suggest following JRL lead and replacing it by 105k.

dcandmc
11-01-2008, 06:36 PM
READ THIS POST,
There are NO VOLVO'S with a 120K miles timing belt interval
105K for all cars after 1999

Wrong. I have a 2004 XC70 that was purchased from a local Volvo dealer in April 2006 with 54,000 miles and a Volvo CPO warranty. The car had one previous (original) owner, with whom I have spoken. The glove box pubs are what originally came with the car; they have the first owner's name in them and at the time of my purchase the warranty and service booklet had all the dealer stamps for the 7,500 through 45,000 mile service intervals.

On page 61 of the 2004 U.S.A./Canada Warranty and Service Records Information booklet, in the maintenance schedule section and under the heading All 2004 Models, there is an X in the 120,000 mile column for "Timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley replace *****"

In the notes below, it states:
"***** Service interval for C70/S40/V40 and S80 6 cylinder models only is 105,000 miles or 168,000 kilometers. Maximum replacement time interval for all engines except engine VIN code #64 is 10 years"

Mitch
11-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys...looks like I still have a way to go so I'm good for now and will probably do it somewhere around 100,000 miles.

John@CdnRockies
11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
I checked my Canadian owners manual (page 134) for our '04 XC-70. It reads:

"For proper functioning of the engine and emission control system, the timing belt and belt tensioner must be replaced every 105,000 miles (168,000 km) or at 120,000 miles (193,000 km) for the 2.5T engine on AWD models. Engine damage will occur if the belt fails."

Given the stresses caused by Canadian winters, I can't imagine it being shorter anywhere else.

John

JRL
11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Wrong. I have a 2004 XC70 that was purchased from a local Volvo dealer in April 2006 with 54,000 miles and a Volvo CPO warranty. The car had one previous (original) owner, with whom I have spoken. The glove box pubs are what originally came with the car; they have the first owner's name in them and at the time of my purchase the warranty and service booklet had all the dealer stamps for the 7,500 through 45,000 mile service intervals.

On page 61 of the 2004 U.S.A./Canada Warranty and Service Records Information booklet, in the maintenance schedule section and under the heading All 2004 Models, there is an X in the 120,000 mile column for "Timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley replace *****"

In the notes below, it states:
"***** Service interval for C70/S40/V40 and S80 6 cylinder models only is 105,000 miles or 168,000 kilometers. Maximum replacement time interval for all engines except engine VIN code #64 is 10 years"

I don't give a crap what it says, they made a misprint that year
Ask your service manager, better yet ask Volvo. There is NO TIMING BELT CHANGE AT 120K on any Volvo and you're playing with fire and a blown engine!

howardc64
11-07-2008, 12:52 PM
FYI. I found out the hard way that Volvo misprinted PS fluid type for my 01 V70 T5. I have since then learned it was a misprint until model year 2005 for all V/XC70 S60s! Manual says ATF, original fluid and what they use at the service department is CHF-11S. Totally different stuff.

Do what JRL said and ask the maintenance department. Don't trust the owner's manual.

dcandmc
11-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Ask your service manager, better yet ask Volvo. There is NO TIMING BELT CHANGE AT 120K on any Volvo and you're playing with fire and a blown engine!

Look, I'm just telling you what my manual says. Go to Volvo Owners Info at Volvo's U.S. website and look up the maintenance charts for the XC70 for MY '04 through '08; they all indicate timing belt changes at 120k miles. Could it be a misprint for all of those five years? Absolutely, but if so, then why hasn't Volvo corrected it on the website, or put out a written correction that's made available to owners?

JRL, I know that you have years of experience with Volvo- can you find something to confirm your assertion that the information I have presented is incorrect? Perhaps a notice from Volvo to service shops that there's a misprint in the maintenance schedules for the XC70 for MY '04 through '08?

JRL
11-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Asked service manager about this 2 weeks ago
HE said 105K
He's the HEAD service manager (tech) on the east coast, he heads Volvo tech sessions.
He said there's no Volvo 5 cylinder with a 120K timing belt change

John@CdnRockies
11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
They make the cars as well as hand out the owners manual. It specifically states that the 2.5T with Turbo is at a particular mileage. If the manual is wrong then it is Volvo's responsibility to notify us. If my engine blows I will sue them and I don't see how Volvo would win as I'm doing much of the maintenance myself and not inclined to double check what they have printed.

JRL, realize you are just passing the info along but what a bunch of fruitcakes run this company.

And if the manual is wrong in this area (which you feel could blow our engines) what else is mis-stated in the owner's manual?

John

dcandmc
11-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Asked service manager about this 2 weeks ago
HE said 105K
He's the HEAD service manager (tech) on the east coast, he heads Volvo tech sessions.
He said there's no Volvo 5 cylinder with a 120K timing belt change

Well, what he's saying is in direct contradiction to multiple Volvo-produced documents that I've seen, including (as I stated in my previous post) documents covering a range of five model years that Volvo currently makes available through its web site. Is it possible that he's mistaken?

I believe you when you tell us what you've been told. However, a 15,000 mile error (in the wrong direction) on when to change the timing belt, as you have pointed out, could have catastrophic consequences for the engine. If Volvo has indeed made an error, I'm sure they realize it by now and have distributed an errata sheet or in some manner have provided written notification of their mistake. Right?

JRL
11-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Please copy and send me that page, I will present it and report on the response I get.
As for the 105K v 120K, why would they UP the mileage on the exact same engine when we all know (and they know) if a timing belt or tensioner breaks, goodbye engine?

Even if it IS a misprint and you have a problem, you're WAY over in time and mileage for any chance of any warranty or goodwill from Volvo, take that to the bank.

dcandmc
11-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Please copy and send me that page, I will present it and report on the response I get.
As for the 105K v 120K, why would they UP the mileage on the exact same engine when we all know (and they know) if a timing belt or tensioner breaks, goodbye engine?

Even if it IS a misprint and you have a problem, you're WAY over in time and mileage for any chance of any warranty or goodwill from Volvo, take that to the bank.

I thought that these were in .pdf format, but they're not. The link to the 2006 maintenance schedule is missing the page with the timing belt information, and therefore I have not included it here.

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2004/2004_maintenance_charts/2004_maintenance.html

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_maintenance/2005_maintenance.html

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2007/2007_maintenance/2007_maintenance.html

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2008/2008_maintenance/2008_maintenance.html

As to why the replacement interval for the timing belt might have changed beginning with MY 2004, I would only be making uneducated guesses. Materials and manufacturing processes get improved, experience is acquired and applied, etc.

Re: your final sentence. You talkin' to me?

dcandmc
11-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Wow you'd think that someone would have done this already and put this post to bed.....

Go Here (http://www.volvocars.com/us/tools/OwnersInfo/Pages/VolvoOwners.aspx) and sign up.

then pick your model year and then scheduled maint...

Incase your lazy. GoHere for 2004 (http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2004/2004_maintenance_charts/2004_maintenance.html)

Or Here for 2005 (http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2005_maintenance/2005_maintenance.html). According to this there was a service interval of 120 unless you have a sepcific engine which was 150. But we're only talking about 15,000 miles here and a pretty cheap service. It can't hurt to do it before the 120 to be safe, I remember when they used need changed at 60K (not necessarily Volvos). If you insist on waiting, I suggest that you still do as recommended here and ask your service manager and go with what he recommends, which I'm sure will match what you've been told here, 105. (which is what the 2004 maintenance schedule says in the link above)

Two things:
First of all, I'm not insisting on anything, other than that all the documentation I've seen for my '04 XC70 indicates a timing belt change at 120,000 miles. My first post in this thread was in response to JRL's unequivocal statement that "there are no Volvo's with a 120k miles timing belt interval... after 1999." I'm not and never have debated the merits of when a timing belt should be changed. Obviously if you want to be on the safe side, you do it sooner rather than later. I am throwing the BS flag on JRL's statement, and will continue to do so until I see something in writing from Volvo that corrects any "misprint" in their maintenance schedules.

Secondly, the 2004 maintenance schedule that you've linked to DOES NOT say that 105k miles is the correct interval for my car. See the seven asterisks? My car has an engine VIN code of 59, which means that the timing belt service interval is 120k miles.

ETA: Oops, I guess he deleted his post.

JRL
11-08-2008, 05:22 AM
I thought that these were in .pdf format, but they're not. The link to the 2006 maintenance schedule is missing the page with the timing belt information, and therefore I have not included it here.

Re: your final sentence. You talkin' to me?

No.
I will print this and present it to Volvo and listen to their interesting answer.

pdk
11-08-2008, 05:49 AM
T

ETA: Oops, I guess he deleted his post.

Yes, I deleted it, after I posted it, I saw yours. And for the 2006, it's there, it in the ***** basically it says that 15 years or 150K depending on engine code.

So I'm not sure what it would be if your engine code is something other that the ones listed.

VICIII
11-10-2008, 06:03 AM
what is the approx cost for the time belt?? I have an 01xc70 and have 104578 miles.

howardc64
11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
what is the approx cost for the time belt?? I have an 01xc70 and have 104578 miles.

You need this kit. I hear the pulley can seize and is the more common failure point than a broken belt.

Here is fcpgroton's sale on ebay for cheap. It doesn't say for 01 XC70 but look at the following fcp website link. Parts are identical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-S70-V70-S80-S60-C70-XC-Timing-Belt-Tensioner-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2 Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2e c0Q2em14QQhashZitem350120765655QQitemZ350120765655 QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht _3674wt_0

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/27309/nm/Volvo_XC70_AWD_Turbo_Timing_Belt_Kit_/category_id/203

mbsl98
11-11-2008, 07:42 AM
You need this kit. I hear the pulley can seize and is the more common failure point than a broken belt.

Here is fcpgroton's sale on ebay for cheap. It doesn't say for 01 XC70 but look at the following fcp website link. Parts are identical.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo-S70-V70-S80-S60-C70-XC-Timing-Belt-Tensioner-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2 Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2e c0Q2em14QQhashZitem350120765655QQitemZ350120765655 QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht _3674wt_0

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/27309/nm/Volvo_XC70_AWD_Turbo_Timing_Belt_Kit_/category_id/203

-------------------
Any idea where FCP came up with an 80k mile change interval for the post-mid-98 cars? I thought it had jumped from 70k to 105k, and have never seen an 80k reference except in the FCP write-up. Note that the same write-up in the supplied link says new interval is only for cars wirh mechanical tensioner and direct ignition (5 coils) with the engine serial number of the changeover suplied. We just bought a '98 V70M with a later series engine number that clearly has the single coil system as I believe that all '98 70's do - point is that there may be at least one or two errors in the FCP info in that link.

howardc64
11-11-2008, 08:35 PM
-------------------
Any idea where FCP came up with an 80k mile change interval for the post-mid-98 cars? I thought it had jumped from 70k to 105k, and have never seen an 80k reference except in the FCP write-up.

You should ask fcpgroton but I'm guessing they made it up. Given timing belt failure is a high damage event on these interference engines, people change them depending on varying degree of personal paranoia. I've read some Volvo techs change them prior to 105k because of seeing some cracks on the belt and lubrication leaks on the pulleys.

Certainly, I'm sure there are at least some cases of timing belt/pulley failures under 105k miles. For those people that had failure, they probably wished they had done it earlier.

At 105k, I'd change them :)

dcandmc
11-12-2008, 08:22 AM

So I asked Volvo, and I've pasted below a series of email exchanges that I had with Betty at "Volvo Customer Care." If there is a misprint over five years of Volvo maintenance schedules, the good folks at Volvo haven't caught on to it yet.

Hello dc,

Please forgive me to be honest I was reading one line and and typing another line. The answer to your question is 120000 miles the maximum replacement time is still 10 years.

Again please forgive me. I am sorry for any confusion I caused.

Sincerely,

Betty
Volvo Customer Care

---- Original Message ----
To : Volvo Customer Service
Subject : Re: Re: Volvo Contact Us Feedback
Date : Mon, 10 Nov 2008, 12:59:13 PM EST

Hi Betty,
Here's a link to the maintenance schedule for my car that is available online through the web site that you provided in your last email:

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2004/2004_maintenance_charts/2004_maintenance.html

As indicated by the VIN for my car that I provided in my original inquiry, my engine code is 59. Doesn't the maintenance chart say that the timing belt service interval is 120,000 miles for that engine code? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks,
dc

----- Original Message -----
To: dc
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 12:22 PM
Subject: RE: Re: Volvo Contact Us Feedback

Hi dc,

I took this from our warranty and services records information. You can view this information on line as well if you don't have your manual at www.volvocars.com. You can also contact your local Volvo retailer and speak to someone in the service department.

Sincerely,

Betty
Volvo customer Care

Subject : Re: Volvo Contact Us Feedback
Date : Mon, 10 Nov 2008, 11:27:02 AM EST

Hi Betty-
Thank you for the speedy reply to my inquiry. Everything I have seen regarding the timing belt replacement interval for my car indicates an interval of 120,000 miles. Can you please confirm the assertion in your reply email that Volvo's recommendation is that my timing belt be changed at 150,000 miles? And if this is in fact accurate, please provide a reference for me.

Thank you,
dc

----- Original Message -----
To: dc
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:06 AM
Subject: RE: Volvo Contact Us Feedback

Hello dc,

Thank you for contacting Volvo Cars of North America.

Specifically for your vehicle identification number Volvo recommends the timing belt be changed at 150000 miles. The maximum replacement time is ten years.

Please keep in mind these are only recommendations. Your Volvo service technician is the best person to evaluate your vehicle to determine if your timing belt might need to be changed sooner.

Drive Safely

Betty

Volvo Customer Care

Subject : Volvo Contact Us Feedback
Date : Fri, 07 Nov 2008, 05:16:47 PM EST

Volvo Contact feedback:
Name: dc
Address:
Apt/Unit:
City:
State:
Zip:
E-mail:
Daytime Phone Number: -
Vin: YV1SZ59HXXXXXXXXX
Volvo Model: XC70
Volvo Model Year: 2004
Original Owner: No
Comments: Please confirm that the timing belt change interval for my 2004 XC70 is 120,000 miles, as per the maintenance booklet that came with my car and information provided on Volvo's U.S. web site. An individual who I know to be reasonably informed about all things Volvo insists that these documents contain a misprint, and that the actual timing belt change interval for my car is 105,000 miles. Thank you, dc

mbsl98
11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
You should ask fcpgroton but I'm guessing they made it up. Given timing belt failure is a high damage event on these interference engines, people change them depending on varying degree of personal paranoia. I've read some Volvo techs change them prior to 105k because of seeing some cracks on the belt and lubrication leaks on the pulleys.

Certainly, I'm sure there are at least some cases of timing belt/pulley failures under 105k miles. For those people that had failure, they probably wished they had done it earlier.

At 105k, I'd change them :)

Thanks Howard,
I was asking more out of interest and for future knowledge for when the next change should be. The '98 V70M just acquired has had both the belt and tensioner changed at 72k. I was thinking that this was just another way that the service shop (a "highly regarded" Indie) had scammed the PO, ie: changing on old schedule, not the new style schedule. This same shop got over $20k from PO over a 7 year/70k ownership period (from 30k through 101k miles). Upside is that I expect to have quite a few trouble free miles given that virtually everything significant with teh P1 cars has already been taken care of.

JRL
11-12-2008, 02:12 PM
We (service manager and I) looked at some maintenance books today)
and YES, from 2004 it seems that they WROTE 120K as a T-belt interval change.
SM says this has been discussed at tech conferences and all agree that it's a poor idea to let it go this long.
Apparantly this was done to pacify some CA regs but do this at your own risk.

Personally to bet on a piece of rubber and /or a piece of plastic lasting for
120K with the alternative being a new engine installed is completely up to you. However, they (the master techs and head S/managers) advise customers 105K (or earlier) and I do not believe it's a money thing (this time)!
The person (s) NEVER to ask, is the person at the end of the Volvo 800 phone line (or email).
All they are is a bunch of pencil pushing robots who know absolutely NOTHING technical about a car and just read what's printed in front of them.
THAT IS the truth

dcandmc
11-12-2008, 03:48 PM
The person (s) NEVER to ask, is the person at the end of the Volvo 800 phone line (or email).
All they are is a bunch of pencil pushing robots who know absolutely NOTHING technical about a car and just read what's printed in front of them.
THAT IS the truth

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I'm not making any argument one way or the other about the wisdom of Volvo extending the timing belt replacement interval from 105k miles to 120k miles. All I was doing was responding to your assertion that Volvo's recommendation for new timing belts was 105k miles for all cars after 1999.

You suggested that I ask my service manager, "better yet ask Volvo." Given your words above, who did you have in mind when you suggested that I "ask Volvo"?

JRL
11-12-2008, 05:37 PM
... who did you have in mind when you suggested that I "ask Volvo"?

Well, I'm sorry I said that as YOU cannot get to them, but I can.
Mostly a few of the engineers at Rockleigh who I became familiar with over the years.

BillAileo
11-17-2008, 05:02 PM
I went ahead and replaced the timing belt and its tensioner on my '03 XC70 today (99,700 miles). I was glad I did it early, the timing belt tensioner was way off specification, it was at the loosest setting. I replaced the serpentine belt and its tensioner at the same time. I was very glad to have access to a T60 torx socket to relieve the tension on the tensioner in order to install the new serpentine belt.