PDA

View Full Version : Lock, Unlock... Lock, Unlock... Lock..

coastal
12-17-2001, 10:43 PM
Haven't done much in the way of testing yet but my doors just don't feel like staying locked. I hit the lock button, they open one or two seconds later... hit lock again and they re-open again. After a few tries she finally locks up.

Anyone experience this before?

mox575
12-17-2001, 10:58 PM
Hi! Coastal
I haven't had that exact problem but, I have had a problem with the locks. The doors were locked and I depressed the unlock button on the door and nothing happened. I tried this several times with no luck. Finally I used the remote button, success.
The electronics worry me a little. Too many components.

saabstory
12-18-2001, 01:15 PM
coastal,

In my experience, it happened with my remote. I was struck with the same problem lots of other XC and non-XC owners seemed to have in 2000/2001 with faulty remotes. The dealer opened mine up and fixed some gaskets/spacers inside and everything's been great since.

I haven't had problems with the door locks from inside the car -- the button on the door.

--Adam

Art
12-18-2001, 01:29 PM
Ditto Adam. I had the same thing happen with the rubber spacers inside my keyless remote. In my case, the security system would trigger without warning. A quick fix (removal of the rubber spacers) by the dealer and voila, no more alarm problems.

GenXCer
12-19-2001, 02:07 AM
On a slight tangent...

Is there any way to set the channel in the car (I'm not talking the radio either) to automatically lock the doors when put in drive or accelerating over a certain speed?  I'm used to not HAVING to lock my doors, so I don't remember to do this.  Anyone have any experience with this?

saabstory
12-19-2001, 11:20 AM
Laura,

The auto-lock feature is almost legend now for the new S/V series cars. The owners manual mentions that your dealer can set the option, but there is no download available for it yet. I've heard of one or two people that got the download for their S80's during the 2-4 weeks it was available. It was supposedly pulled from VADIS (the Volvo computer system) for safety reasons (like the car wouldn't auto-unlock in an accident).

I'd check with your service department from time to time to see if they get a new bulletin about it.

--Adam

coastal
12-20-2001, 06:25 PM
My wife took the car in today to have that bulb replaced.. yes I know.. FINALLY!

While there, she asked about the unlock/lock situation, and she was told that:

1. The situation typically occurs when both sets of remotes are near the car. I seem to recall this being the case almost every time.
2. There is a download available to cure this.
3. Didn't ask about the gasket solution but will when I take it in next time.

mastiha
12-25-2001, 02:32 PM
I also started to get this exact same problem about 3 days ago. Think it's time to visit the dealer.

mox575
02-07-2002, 09:53 PM
Hi! All
Had to take the XC into the shop today. The five month old battery had to be replaced. The car wouldn't start after shutting it off and listening to the CD player for 10 minutes.
Turns out, the battery, had a bad cell and wasn't holding a charge. It's been this way since we purchased the vehicle but,has progressively gotten worse. This may explain some of the weird happenings
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from mox575 on 9:58 pm on Dec. 17, 2001
Hi! Coastal
I haven't had that exact problem but, I have had a problem with the locks. The doors were locked and I depressed the unlock button on the door and nothing happened. I tried this several times with no luck. Finally I used the remote button, success.
The electronics worry me a little. Too many components.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

edjike
02-08-2002, 06:25 AM
Costal, I have had an interesting problem with the locks. &nbsp;It seems that the tailgate does not want to shut correctly, or as easy, when you open from the door Vs. the remote. &nbsp;It is almost of is the lock on the tail gate did not completely &nbsp;reset. &nbsp;I really have to give it a slam to finally get it to commit. &nbsp;

PS is the auto lock avil. now, or did they pull it?

coastal
02-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Same thing here edjike, just started to happen on Monday..

Its an easy lock mechanism adjustment by your dealer but until you get it fixed, be careful as you don't want to loosen up the tailgates joints and start the dreaded rattles.

coastal
02-10-2002, 10:51 AM
had both the remotes fixed and the rear hatch adjusted. All is well. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Silver 2002
02-11-2002, 12:18 PM
edjike:
I've had the same problem with my '02. My wife and I almost had to cancel a weekend trip. We loaded up the car and then couldn't get the rear hatch door to catch. I couldn't believe the force I finally had to use to get it to catch. The car was only 2 weeks old at the time. Two months later it works a little better, but probably only closes on the second or third try.

(Edited by Silver 2002 at 2:20 pm on Feb. 11, 2002)

edjike
02-13-2002, 12:15 PM
[quote]Quote: from Silver 2002 on 11:18 am on Feb. 11, 2002
edjike:
I've had the same problem with my '02. My wife and I almost had to cancel a weekend trip. We loaded up the car and then couldn't get the rear hatch door to catch. I couldn't believe the force I finally had to use to get it to catch. The car was only 2 weeks old at the time. Two months later it works a little better, but probably only closes on the second or third try.

(Edited by Silver 2002 at 2:20 pm on Feb. 11, 2002)

Silver, exact same issue!!!!!

t_sheehan
05-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Lately, I have been having some difficulties with all five locks on my 02. Upon turning off the engine, stepping out of the car and locking the vehicle via door panel, it will lock for 1-2 sec. and then unlock. Mind you the fob does not work whatsoever in these scenarios. The cycle continues until I actually turn the car back on at which point functioning returns to normal once again. I have not seen any threads on this particular problem; any thoughts on the cause, remedies?

Thanks very much for the advice, I can't tell you how helpful this forum has been in helping to diagnose problems.

barrysharp
05-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I have '03 XC70 and my dealership was able to apply the auto door locking feature via a software download. The locks will auto lock at around 5 mph.

One has to press the driver's door lock button once before opening and exiting car to unlock all the doors otherwise it takes two presses once the driver's door has been opened. The a many people who do not like this feature of having to remember to press the door lock button before exiting. They consider it a real PITA. The dealership can program the car/remote to unlock all doors with a single button press on the remote if owners wants.