PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wheels/winter tires

afree
10-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I am located in Quebec, and I'm looking for a good place to buy winter tires and wheels. The wheels do not need to be factory, some decent looking aftermarket would be fine (17") - any source recommendations for Quebec/Ontario? What do others recommend for snow tires.

My local volvo dealer wants nearly $2500 for 4 tires and Sargas 17" wheels. Adive on lower cost options would be appreciated.

Cape Cod Bound
10-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Google it and you'll find many after market suppliers in your area - Montreal especially..

I run 17" Pirelli SottoZeros on ROH rims.

All in was less than $2K.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i91/AudiAdvocate/IMG_0317.jpg

MT71
10-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Afree, where about are you in Montreal? I have a place in Deux Montagnes. If you can go to the north shore, let me know, I'll give you details.

Marc

afree
10-25-2008, 07:08 AM
MT71, I'm downtown, no problem going anywhere in the Mtl region, let me know what you recommend.

beavenx5
10-25-2008, 10:12 AM
My neighbour at the office imports RWC (replica Wheels Canada). I beleive he only has 16" wheels currently for our XC70 but the price is quite good. He also imports and sells Marangoni tires (they have a very good winter tire).
I did not buy from him this time for the XC70 but did get a very nice set of Brabus replicas for my C class with Marangoni Mythos. I have been driving them for a little more than a year now and am very satisfied with them.
Send me a PM if you want a contact there.

For my XC70 T6, I wanted 17" wheels so I looked on e-bay and got really lucky ($175 + $80 shipping for a set of 4 almost new mags). I bought a set of 4 Neptune rims 17"X7 ET49 (original equipment on the 2008 XC90)Here (http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/en-GB/XC90/styling/alu/VCC-245891.htm). The dealer told me they would not fit as the offset is different. As per the offset calculator Here (http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp) the inner clearance is 12mm better and the outer is the same. I beleive the dealer was .... and wanted to sell me new mags. I took a chance and will be able to test them on my new T6 next week when I get the car. Worst come to worst , I will sell them back in lespac.
As for my winter tires, I got them in the US. They are Nokian Hakkapillita R for $144us each. Hell of a deal...

P.S. here is a pic of my RWC Brabus Replica

Art
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Beavenx5,

You might also want to check into the wheel hub spec for your '09 XC and if it will, in fact, accommodate the Neptunes without the use of hubcentric rings or other modifications.

Does anyone know what the wheel hub diameter is for the 2008/2009 MY XC70 and is it safe to assume that it is the same as on the previous MY?

beavenx5
10-27-2008, 06:58 AM
The guy in California who sold me the Neptune told me there should not be any problem there. The Neptune were aslo tested by him on the new S80 and the old XC70 and fitted. The dealer had told me the only wheel for our new XC70 are the ones made for the new V70/XC70 and the new S80...

Art:
Check with Cape Cod Bound: I could be wrong but I believe his 17" winter mags were on his old 2002 XC70 before.
I should get my new car tomorrow and am anxious to see how the Neptune fits on it. Since I will test them in 2-3 days, I will take my digital caliper and measure exactly the hubs on the car and the center holes in both the Sargas and Neptune wheels and report back. If you can wait a few days...

Art
10-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks Bx5,

The reason why I asked is that the hub diameter of the XC90 (67.1 mm) is larger than that of the previous MY XC70s (65.6 mm). Hubcentric rings would allow the larger bore size of the Neptunes to fit properly on the smaller wheel hub of the 70 without causing any undue vibration.

Look forward to your findings.

ifnt420
10-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know what the wheel hub diameter is for the 2008/2009 MY XC70 and is it safe to assume that it is the same as on the previous MY?

IIRC, it should be 63mm, same as P1 C30/S40/V50/C70 and new S80. [thumbup]

beavenx5
10-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks Bx5,

The reason why I asked is that the hub diameter of the XC90 (67.1 mm) is larger than that of the previous MY XC70s (65.6 mm). Hubcentric rings would allow the larger bore size of the Neptunes to fit properly on the smaller wheel hub of the 70 without causing any undue vibration.

Look forward to your findings.

I got my new XC70 this morning:D My wife took it and I did not even get a ride in it yet...
I removed one wheel and measured the hub: 63.3 mm. It does sound on the low side if you tell me the XC90 hub is 67.1. My digital caliper did not have the clearance needed to measure the interior of the wheel but once installed on the car, the Neptune wheel had a 1 to 2mm gap all a round the hub (about 3mm difference in diameter). This would give me about 66 mm of Hub ID for the Neptune. Does this make sense? I don't know if you can see it well enough on the picture.

I found some rings: 66.06mm O.D. / 63.9 I.D. or another 67 O.D. / 63.4 I.D. in plastic. Which one should I get?

Thanks Art for pointing out the need for hubcentric rings.

ifnt420
10-29-2008, 08:21 PM
I found some rings: 66.06mm O.D. / 63.9 I.D. or another 67 O.D. / 63.4 I.D. in plastic. Which one should I get?

Use the 67 O.D / 63.4 I.D., and also you should try to see if you can find rings made out of aluminum/stainless steel. Otherwise plastic ones tend to shrink due to high heat from the brake rotor after a while.

Heres a MY08 XC70 with XC90 19" Vulcanis wheel. [thumbup]

http://www1.garaget.org/archive/22/21065/88763/88763-999375.jpg
http://www1.garaget.org/archive/22/21065/88763/88763-999362.jpg

beavenx5
10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Use the 67 O.D / 63.4 I.D., and also you should try to see if you can find rings made out of aluminum/stainless steel. Otherwise plastic ones tend to shrink due to high heat from the brake rotor after a while.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about going with the plastic ones even if I have to change them every couple of year. They are for my winter wheels and since our winters here are pretty bad and the salt they put on our roads will make the hubs rust with the aluminium rings. They will be quite hard to remove in the spring with some aluminium rings. SS could be OK but expensive.

Nice 19" wheels [thumbup]

beavenx5
10-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Another question out of topic: why is it that some XC70 have the chrome trims around the side window (like the pictures above of the MYXC70 with the Vulcanis 19" wheels) and most others have the black trims.

2nd question: what is that "turbo" emblem instead of the "volvo" under the rear whiper?

Lotus99
10-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Another question out of topic: why is it that some XC70 have the chrome trims around the side window (like the pictures above of the MYXC70 with the Vulcanis 19" wheels) and most others have the black trims.

2nd question: what is that "turbo" emblem instead of the "volvo" under the rear whiper?

Congrats on the car first of all! Take some pics tomorrow! Can't wait to see how the rear spoiler looks like on the car. I'm curious as to its proportions, so can you please take a side pic of the car, with the whole car in the pic. From the brochure, it looks like the spoiler would stick out quite a bit from the rear, so I'm hesitant to get it.

About your questions... I believe the chrome trim is in Europe, but we get black here in NA. Which is fine by me, as I prefer it understated. Funny, on the BMW forums, everyone tries to cover up the chrome either with black vinyl or by buying the black trim pieces (which are an option in Europe). Guess it looks a bit more stealth too, especially on darker cars.

The turbo badge I'm guessing is from the Porsche. I'm personally thinking of debadging the car by taking off the XC70, T6 and AWD emblems. I grin to myself when I beat someone at a light and they think to themselves... "what was that station wagon?" :D

OK, so maybe the low 7's for 0-100 isn't that fast, but still! Leaves them guessing though!

Lotus99
10-29-2008, 09:55 PM

Fan va fräckt med turbo där bak... Älskar nya xc70!

Northern Rider
10-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Will be receiving my 11XC70 around the 18-20 of November. replaces the 02XC
Question is about the hubcentric rings. I read in this tread some mention Generation 2 XC70 have a centre hub of 65.6mm. Was under the impression that the size was 65.1mm. I want to fit my 02 Telus wheels on the new car for winter use using a hubcentric ring and am about to order the inner 63.5mm and 65.1mm outer rings for that.
Am I wrong in thinking 65.1 or is it really 65.6?

Other considerations are not an issue since the 16 inch 215mm is narrower by 20mm over the 17 inch Sargas offset differs by only 6mm (Telus 49mm Sargas 55mm) giving an extra 4mm clearance.

Mike

Art
10-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Will be receiving my 11XC70 around the 18-20 of November. replaces the 02XC
Question is about the hubcentric rings. I read in this tread some mention Generation 2 XC70 have a centre hub of 65.6mm. Was under the impression that the size was 65.1mm. I want to fit my 02 Telus wheels on the new car for winter use using a hubcentric ring and am about to order the inner 63.5mm and 65.1mm outer rings for that.
Am I wrong in thinking 65.1 or is it really 65.6?

Mike

I stand corrected. Hub bore diameter for the P2 XC70 is, in fact, 65.1 mm. and not 65.6 as I previously mentioned.

Northern Rider
10-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the answer Art,
Believe I found some hubcentric rings at Just for wheels. com that will do the job. Size 63.5mm inner and 65.1mm outer. They carry both aluminum and plastic. Will go with plastic due to the amount of calcium used on the roads. Will post some photos once I have the wheels on.

Mike

budrichard
10-30-2010, 07:28 AM
I am located in Quebec, and I'm looking for a good place to buy winter tires and wheels. The wheels do not need to be factory, some decent looking aftermarket would be fine (17") - any source recommendations for Quebec/Ontario? What do others recommend for snow tires.

My local volvo dealer wants nearly $2500 for 4 tires and Sargas 17" wheels. Adive on lower cost options would be appreciated.

What year is your XC70 and what wheels and tires are on it presently?
Do you want 'dedicated' snows or 4-season with the 'Snowflake'?
Any good all season tire with 'Snowflake' should handle your conditions with the XC70 AWD system. Both mine wear Nokian WR's all year round now after having Gislaved's, Blizzack's and P-ST's with no problems. Frankly the Hakka's and Blizzack's wear fast on dry roads and dedicated snows are not needed in most environments today. If you drive on constantly snow/ice covered roads then Hakka's are the way to go but at a cost.
If you plan to go off road like I do on snowmobile trails, you really need a dedicated on/off road tire for best grip.
If your XC70 is new to you, i would just try the tires that it came with before making a decision and trying to solve a problem that may not exist.-Dick