PDA

View Full Version : Bearing failure on Angle Gear

mcbalagtas
10-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm being told by my mech that Volvo is telling him the bearing can't be replaced. The whole Angle Gear has to be replaced. Is this true? BTW it is the bearing that goes to the right side wheel. We were both surprised to find out that a 'bearing' couldn't be replaced. This was the first time my mechanic actually had to replace one on the "Angle gear"...lots of seals, but no bearings. He is trying to find a used one.

When I found out the cost of a new one, I almost fell over, but I started asking him for alternative. How hard would it be to convert this XC to just FWD? Get a axle shaft from a V70 and remove the DS. Would there be software ramifications? My mechanic felt it might cost just as much to replace the Angle Gear.

I live in Southern California, so no 'real' need for AWD.

If I can source a used 'Angle gear' on my own how hard would it be to replace?

Aviator
10-20-2008, 07:36 PM
AWD or FWD, you're still going to need the angle gear fixed....you still need a working right axle shaft to accomplish FWD.

Dave.

mcbalagtas
10-20-2008, 08:03 PM
How is the V70 configured? I'm sure they don't have a need for an 'angle gear. I've never seen underneath one, but I would think it just have a longer axle from the xmission output.

I was more concerned about if there was some type of sensor input on the 'angle gear' or in the rear diff that would screw up the computer.

AWD or FWD, you're still going to need the angle gear fixed....you still need a working right axle shaft to accomplish FWD.

Dave.

Aviator
10-21-2008, 01:43 PM
I think it's just a normal diff that's part of the trans; it would require a longer axle, but I think it would be better to repair what you have rather than try to configure something that resembles a V70. That would be like replacing one of your femurs with one from a gorilla or hedgehog.

Dave.

mcbalagtas
10-21-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm less panicked now....my mechanic found an Angle Gear for $750 vs $1700 from the dealer.

My mech came to same conclusion and would not have done the work. However for 2+k, I would have converted it.