PDA

View Full Version : ABS problems

raftinallday
10-12-2008, 06:18 PM
howdy y'all
Just bought a 99 XC 3 months ago. My ABS light and Traction Control lights are now on in my vehicle. The Brake light comes on every now and then. Today for the first time when i turn the wheel it sounds like something is rubbing. Any ideas what the problem might be? Trying to avoid costly repairs if at all possible. Thanks

lookforjoe
10-12-2008, 07:00 PM
The ABS/Tracs/Brake lights coming on usually indicates a ABS Module failure; very common. You can often repair it yourself, if you are handy with a soldering iron. If not, they are available rebuilt for around 100bucks - just don't go to the dealer, they're over 500 new.

The rubbing has nothing to do with the ABS. You should have the suspension/steering/wheels/tires checked.

raftinallday
10-12-2008, 07:58 PM
thanks, i've been doing a bunch of reading on the abs module. think im gonna have it looked at just to be sure.

konwinski
11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
If you haven't solved your problem yet. Send your ABS module to Vic Rocha. The dealers will get you for about $1200 or you can send it off to vic and he will repair it better and stronger than new for $140. Here is his website with the info. http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

He has a very good reputation among volvo enthusiasts!

Ken

8pack
11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
I had Vic Rocha do my abs unit. super easy to remove, a little tricky getting the harness to release, but take it out send it to Vic and reinstall it. Save you all the stealer cost and it works great....

Good luck...

JRL
11-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Or www.modulemaster.com cheaper than Victor, same result

zman
11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I am picking up my first 2000 Volvo XC V70 with 218K miles tomorrow, I took it for test drive and I have noticed ABS and Trac lights were on. Thanks to this forum I can't wait to start digging into this problem :)