View Full Version : Decisions, decisions...

bonneville
04-16-2002, 07:11 AM
It's time to make THE decision! My wife and I have looked at the 3 cars listed above and need some prodding, if you will, in the right direction. We've come to these conclusions:
325XI - Sporty as heck, fits my small wife beautifully, great handling, price close to the Volvo, good looking...but small and perhaps a bit low for the dirt road I live on.
Audi Allroad - Different looking ( to me ) All sorts of neat gadgets, height adjustments, lots of horses, a bit small and quite spendy - haven't found one for less than &#3648,000.
Volvo - The most room, yet less sporty than the others. Fits the big husband better, better clearance than the BMW, can't seem to find a green one to look at. BTW - the tiny picture Volvo's website provides is pathetic in determining color -

Any other salient issue's? Honestly, it's between the Volvo and the BMW...just need a kick in the pants

Great site, thanks in advance

John

edjike
04-16-2002, 07:35 AM
John,

You are in the exact same position I was in a few months ago.  The Allroad is great looking by not worth 12-15k more than the XC.  The BMW is sporty, more than the others.  However here is why I bought the XC:

1. Car insurace in NJ for the BMW is crazy!
2. Take a trip to Home Depot and try filling the BMW
3. If you have a dog, you will panic everytime you put it on the seats in the back of the bimmer!
4. Try going out with four adults.
5. Kids?
6. Everyone has a 3 series

I have always loved BMW and have onwed one for several years.  If you are looking for a sports car, buy the BMW. If you are looking for a car that can do everything, plus be some what sporty, but the XC.  

ed

leonberger
04-16-2002, 07:41 AM
I don't think you can go wrong here.  Both are excellent vehicles.  But they are really different in a lot of ways.  My Dad's got a 330i and it's a blast to drive.  I have a 100lb dog and need cargo room for it to travel. With the Xi, you'll get better bad weather handling that the rear-wheel drive 325i/330i.

The question is...what do you need?  Space? light-off-roading capability? On-road handling? Also where do you live? Is snow/sleet an issue?

By the way, I was looking for Green with light tan interior, but I think the Green only comes with the darker interior colours.  Ended up going with the Blue with a sand interior.

Good luck!

coastal
04-16-2002, 10:07 AM
My decision was relatively easy.

1. The BMW was not available in wagon format last year in Canada. Too small for me anyways, but would have been close to the top of the list for sure.

2. allroad is really the most comparable to the XC, but among other things, pricing was a little steep for us closing in on the 70K range. :o

Perhaps this special report over at 4car.co.uk (http://www.4car.co.uk/special/videozone/main.jsp?pg=2&make=Audi&model=allroad&title=Audi%20allroad%20V6%20Auto&type=Driven%20100) will help the decision.

Or maybe not, since the XC and allroad tie. :biggrin:

Craig
04-22-2002, 04:34 PM
John ...

You've summarized the comparison between the cars very well - and I agree with your analysis.  Audi too expensive.  BMW small and lack of ground clearance.

I have a BMW 325 (not X series) and its a great car, but not really in same category as the Volvo XC.  My wife has a 2002 XC in the dark green with sand leather interior, and its a GREAT car.   Actually pretty good performance with the turbo, and lots of room.  And the 8 inches + of ground clearance is really the ticket for the back roads.  I think you'd like the Volvo.

Craig in Colorado