PDA

View Full Version : ABS failure

Teachrz
10-11-2008, 07:10 PM
I had the tell-tale "brake failure stop safely" message with the other dash lights and the loss of odometer and cruise control on my 02 xc70 so I ordered a used controller from Erie Vovo. After installing it I still have the same error, but my ABS seems to work (I hit the brakes on a gravel road). Any suggestions?

JRL
10-11-2008, 07:18 PM
I had the tell-tale "brake failure stop safely" message with the other dash lights and the loss of odometer and cruise control on my 02 xc70 so I ordered a used controller from Erie Vovo. After installing it I still have the same error, but my ABS seems to work (I hit the brakes on a gravel road). Any suggestions?

Why would you do that?
1st, you REBUILD them, (for $115) you do not buy a used one and (2nd), brake failure message has NOTHING to do with the ABS system....
you totally wasted your money and you also have a much bigger issue, take it to a Volvo dealer and let them READ the codes, don't assume you know what this is, you don't

Teachrz
10-12-2008, 12:07 PM
First, I would LOVE to have my ABS controller rebuilt at any cost less than the $997 for a new, but no one currently rebuilds my controller (pn 8671224). Second, I thought it would be a fair assumption, based on a copious amount of internet research, that the "brake failure stop safely" with the ABS, brake, traction control and yellow triangle accompanied by dashes in the trip odometer and loss of cruise contol would in some way be related to the ABS controller.

Is there someone else out there who is a little more collegial and less superior from whom I might get advice?

JRL
10-12-2008, 12:27 PM
02 ABS modules rarely fail, you probably have another issue.
Probably just the brake sensor SWITCH that will trigger the light and message.
(I had the SAME THING fail on my 02 S60AWD)

Teachrz
10-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Thank you.

BrownXC70
10-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I had the same symptoms as you and found that a mouse had chewed through the leads to the RF wheel speed sensor.

CO8200
07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I just started getting the intermittent ABS failure light as well. BBA reman will rebuild the ABS controller, even though it is not one they usually fix for less than $100. The part number of the ABS unit is 4221768. It is on a 2002 XC 70.

CEL codes of P0504, P0571, and then an intermittent code of P2111 w/ limp home.

How do I determine if it is the ABS unit or one of the wheel sensors? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

RockitShip
07-02-2010, 02:02 PM
...How do I determine if it is the ABS unit or one of the wheel sensors? Suggestions?

I would ask one of the vendors such as Module Masters or BBA, and let them know the codes. They should have a good idea.

Forkster
07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
CO8200 - if you read my story from my adventrues last weekend, running low on Voltage in an XC70 will throw a lot of weird codes, including the dashboard failing, limp mode, brake booster failure, ECU failure, ABS failure..etc. Your situation sounds like my trip last week when my car was running out of power because my alternator wasn't strong enough to run my car, and charge the tent trailer I was towing including its battery and fridge. I know you weren't towing anything, but it does sound like its a weird issue.

I would strongly suggest you:
1. Ensure your battery is charging at 100% capacity.
2. Ensure your alternator is working correctly.

Eliminate the simple explainations first, then you're off to figuring out the real issue. Chances are, it's a simple reason.

CO8200
07-02-2010, 05:41 PM
I thought a similar thing. The battery with no load registered 12.54v. With the car started and charging it read 14.25v. Seems to be in the acceptable range. I didn't load test the battery, but it appears that the charging and battery are ok.

I reset codes and test drove the car several times today. I have a kiwi wifi setup and the REV app for my iphone so I was able to monitor codes.

Removed the ABS controller. Easy job. Removed the air intake, disonnected the battery, took apart the fuse box, and the three torx E-5 bolts. Covered the valves with plastic and tape.

With the ABS controller removed I was getting P0504, Brake Switch A/B correlation, and P0571 Cruise Control / Brake Switch A Circuit Malfunction, codes on the computer. The ABS and brake lights are on.

Local independent shop indicated that car is fine to drive in this state. No ABS or brake-assisted traction control so be safe on the gravel. Quote from the local shop was that the volume of codes that they pulled with the Volvo tool is typical of a 'zonkie' ABS module. They pulled about 35 codes including CEM-6C46 - Antenna/Light ring Internal Fault and lots of others that don't make any sense. I though low voltage initially, but three techs thought that this pointed to the ABS module. They have done 10 ABS modules on 2002 XC in Boulder Colorado in the past year or so.

BBA Reman indicates that they may be able to fix the ABS module. I will take a $100 bet on BBA. If they can fit the module I can avoid the $1495 price tag on a new one installed.

Will update this when I get news back from BBA.

CO8200
07-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Sent my BCM into BBA re manufacturing. They determined that the unit was not rebuildable. (At least not by them.)

Spent the $500 and ordered a replacement from http://xemodex.com. Super easy to deal with. They sent the unit via UPS and I got it here in Colorado within three days. 1/2 hour to re-install it in the car this weekend. The only tricky thing was that the unit on the car had a different number on it than the Volvo part number! Figures. The part number on the unit was 8671224 where the actual Volvo part # is 8671457.

From the web site:
2002-2004 Volvo OEM# 8671457 Number on the module is 8671224

My wife took the car into our local independent for the 'BCM Software Reload'. The independent Volvo dealer had never heard of replacing a BCM with a unit from another car or one that had been re manufactured. They said that as far as they knew it was impossible....

With a little phone coaching from XeMODeX they updated the software, married the unit to the car, and my wife drove away with the problem resolved within 1/2 hour.

So far so good. All CEL, warning lights, and strange car behavior appeared to be gone today. I just have to package the core up and ship it back with the pre-paid UPS label.

vailpass
07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Whoops, I don't have a 3003 XC70, I'm not from the future I'm just a bad proof reader.

Dealer tells me my ABS module has failed on my 03 XC70. ModuleMaster says "Your vehicle uses AteMark25e which we cannot repair"

BBA says they may have just updated to be able to fix my unit but they need the VM No. or O.E. Ref No.

The Volvo is 30 miles away right now but I want to find out if they can work on my module. I searched online but can't find anywhere that can tell me my part number.

Anyone know if there is a way to determine my ABS Module Part Number without access to the part?

jda2000
07-30-2010, 11:40 AM
just give ModuleMaster the car's VIN and they should be able to figure out if your unit is fixable.

vailpass
07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
just give ModuleMaster the car's VIN and they should be able to figure out if your unit is fixable.

Thank you.

vailpass
08-02-2010, 05:10 PM
For any of you who have a 2003 or newer XC70: ModuleMaster cannot work on the ABS module (it's an AteMark25e), neither can MattyMoo. Matty was very helpful, sent me to xemodex.

ljones123
11-03-2010, 12:33 PM
how is your xemodex abs brake working so far. I am thinking of sending mine to them to fix as well.

paco_in_id
11-13-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm having the same issues on a 2002 V70 XC.
Trying the XeMODeX.com route.
Tried to rebuild (basically re-solder) the control unit pins to no avail :(

Module master can not repair/rebuild this type either.

Will Post how it goes!

Sorry about the late post.
Got the ABS unit back from XeMODeX...(Super-easy people to deal with)
Worked like a charm! -No more lights/errors.
I'd recommend them anytime for abs rebuild.
Good luck!

ljones123
11-24-2010, 09:31 PM
I am at my wits end and everything that we did so far has not completely fix the problem.

The ABS Warning light is on with "Brake Failure Stop Safely" message on my 2004 XC70. This failure took over control of most of the car's computer - mileage, cruise control, front seat heater, and of course ABS control - to name a few. I took the car to the dealer and was told that this is a simple fix - change the ABS sensor and swtich. The dealer did and I as drove off the car 1 1/2 miles from the dealer's lot, the ABS warning light came back on. I returned to the dealer and the dealer diagnosed one more time; then, I was told that this issue has to do with a bad ABS Brake Control Module (BCM) and will cost a lot of money to replace. I opted to have the BCM replaced with a used unit - bad decision. This did not work - can't reload software on a 2004 model. Then, I had my original unit sent to Xemodex (got the idea from this forum) to download the software into a retrofitted BCM. Received the retrofitted BCM from Xemodex and installed this morning. The warning light did not go away. My mechanic and Xemodex diagnosed over the phone, and they came into a conclusion that there is some wiring/electrical problem that will take a lot of time to troubleshoot.

Has anyone out have an idea on how to fix this ABS Brake issue.

Thanks!

goldxc70
11-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Started car this morning and had the same set of messages and warning lights:
"Brake Failure Stop Safely" message, yellow triangle with exclamation mark, brake warning light, ABS warning light.

Checked brakes and everything seemed to be OK so drove home, switched off and restarted - no messages. Continued as usual throughout the day started and stopped four or six times through the day. Was driving somehow home tonight, told them the story and up pop the same set of messages and warnings again.

The only other thing to mention is that this was the first morning this season that I saw the frost warning on.

Will check battery, alternator, etc. tomorrow.

ljones123
11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
the mesage and abs light warning were intermittent at first then they stayed on all the time. Let me know what you find out.

beaveringaway
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Started car this morning and had the same set of messages and warning lights:
"Brake Failure Stop Safely" message, yellow triangle with exclamation mark, brake warning light, ABS warning light.

Checked brakes and everything seemed to be OK so drove home, switched off and restarted - no messages. Continued as usual throughout the day started and stopped four or six times through the day. Was driving somehow home tonight, told them the story and up pop the same set of messages and warnings again.

The only other thing to mention is that this was the first morning this season that I saw the frost warning on.

Will check battery, alternator, etc. tomorrow.

How did the story end? I'm a few hundred into 'diagnosing' (not to mention my own valuable time!) and I've been told to get the ABS Control Module repaired. Just spoke to BBA reman and they say $500-ish plus shipping. I'm having all sorts of transmission issues as well. Co-morbidity or does it all come back to the ABS control module?

dpaton
01-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Beaver - is your battery and charging system OK?

goldxc70
01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
How did the story end? I'm a few hundred into 'diagnosing' (not to mention my own valuable time!) and I've been told to get the ABS Control Module repaired. Just spoke to BBA reman and they say $500-ish plus shipping. I'm having all sorts of transmission issues as well. Co-morbidity or does it all come back to the ABS control module?

My issue continues intermittently. It rarely comes on immediately on start up but comes on when brake pedal is depressed at some point. I am reluctant to spend more time on it or say more until I get the codes pulled. I don't experience any serious issues like limp home mode and have driven thousands of miles since this first occured last summer. It's more of an irritation to me rather than a real problem but I don't like it.