PDA

View Full Version : 2000 XC Starts, then dies

theKAT
10-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Lately, I have had several instances where the engine dies immediately after it starts. I turn the key, it turns over, starts to run. I let go of the key, it runs for a second or so, then just quits as though I had turned off the ignition. No amount of gas pedal manipulation can save it.

Usually, a second or third attempt has the engine running and everything's fine afterwards. I have not as yet made any connection as to warm, cold engine etc. It seems random.

I was taking it in for service today and decided to use a spare set of keys that I don't usually use. I got the start/die behavior mentioned in the first paragraph. After that, nothing. I made numerous attempts, let it sit for about a half hour and tried again. After a while I could tell the battery was weakening, so I attached jumper cables. Still no help, many tries.

My wife commented that it always started for her. On a whim, I tried using her keys. The car started and ran immediately.

My question then is: Is there something in a key that would allow or prevent my car from starting? If not the key, the ignition switch. Was it just a fluke that it started at the time I got the different key?

Anyone encountered this before?

JRL
10-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Yes

gshadow325
10-06-2008, 06:29 PM
I just love JRL's useless response. sounds like you have a transponder key issue. one of the keys may not be programmed. go check all the keys and make sure they all start, if not the ones that do not start then its not programmed.

16Victor
10-19-2008, 07:47 AM
I agree, it's got to do with the security system and the chip in the key. Sometimes it seems as though a little pause between inserting the key and engaging the starter seems to help.

JRL
10-19-2008, 07:55 AM
I just love JRL's useless response. sounds like you have a transponder key issue. one of the keys may not be programmed. go check all the keys and make sure they all start, if not the ones that do not start then its not programmed.

He asked if his key could do this, I said yes. That's not useless and certainly not as useless as your nasty comment towards me.
OBVIOUSLY if one key starts the car all the time and the other does not, if you have 3rd grade reasoning it would be obvious that something's wrong with that key!
What you said is also useless, using your term. Hiis key was obviously programmed or it would NEVER have worked, ever, it's probably LOST its programming for whatever reason and that I cannot answer.

nistech414
10-24-2008, 05:57 AM
I hate those key transponders, I was a nissan tech for six years and we had nothing but trouble with the early ones. Seems like everyday there was a 2000 or 2001 Maxima getting towed in for a bad key. Sometimes having 2 keys for the same car on the same key ring can create issues, and also the Mobil speedpass was a big no-no, that acts just like a key transponder. I dont even know if anyone uses those anymore though. So yes, a start and stall defenitely sounds like a key problem. Get all your keys reprogrammed and hopefully you will be ok!

steed001
12-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I am having a similar issue . Had the turbo charger repaired and car ran well for a week or so. Yesterday morning, I pulled our to pass a truck and started losing power ....sputtering sort of. When I kept the RPM low, it drove more smoothly.
Went to pick my daughter up after work and it was continuing. I decided to use the manual shift feature and it performed much better however, I could hear a high pitch hum coming from dash area. I poped the hood to see where the sound was coming from. It seem to be heard more behind the front headlight on passenge side of the vehicle.
I made it home but was sure that something was going to happen. I parked the car and went inside. I came back out to run to the sore and the car would start and then turn on in 6 sec. I timed it. Also, the brake pedal when down to the floor and when I depressed the brake pedal, I could hear this electronic click as well as feel it in the gear shifter. My first instinct was that it was the fuel pump or a vaccum leak. Bought car 4 weeks ago . Replaced altenater and had trb chgr sealed for a leak(350.00).
2002 v70 xc ...