PDA

View Full Version : 2000 v70 XC with some electrical quirks

mohydej1
09-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I just purchased my first XC today, looking forward to it! After I got it home, i found a few odd electrical things...
1)The battery keeps going dead. We had to jump it when I picked the car up, let it run for 30 minutes, drove it, turned it off, turned on again fine and drove it to the gas station down the street, wouldn't restart. Jumped it, drove it for 3 hours, restarted a couple times since home but now again it is dead. I thought maybe its an old battery? This issue isn't as much as a concern to me.
2)The lights don't come on when the doors get opened-all of the doors are the same way. I thought maybe it was a sensor in just one of the doors but I am dumbfounded with all the doors in-op.
3)When I turn the car off, there is a "ping" noise that comes from the passenger seat switches. I can feel the noise if i touch the passenger side seat switch and turn the car off at the same time. Faulty switch maybe?
Any suggestions on what these issues could be and what to do would be really helpful. I am not new to Volvo products, but these issues I have never seen before. I hope I didn't buy a lemon! Thanks!

JRL
09-29-2008, 04:16 AM
I just purchased my first XC today, looking forward to it! After I got it home, i found a few odd electrical things...
1)The battery keeps going dead. We had to jump it when I picked the car up, let it run for 30 minutes, drove it, turned it off, turned on again fine and drove it to the gas station down the street, wouldn't restart. Jumped it, drove it for 3 hours, restarted a couple times since home but now again it is dead. I thought maybe its an old battery? This issue isn't as much as a concern to me.

LIKE ANYONE SHOULD DO, HAVE THE BATTERY AND CHARGING SYSTEM LOAD TESTED.
IT'S PROBABLY A BAD "B" CABLE AND NOW POSSIBLY THE BATTERY AS IT MAY NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE A CHARGE ANYMORE.

2)The lights don't come on when the doors get opened-all of the doors are the same way. I thought maybe it was a sensor in just one of the doors but I am dumbfounded with all the doors in-op.

COULD BE ONE OF SEVERAL THINGS

3)When I turn the car off, there is a "ping" noise that comes from the passenger seat switches. I can feel the noise if i touch the passenger side seat switch and turn the car off at the same time. Faulty switch maybe?
Any suggestions on what these issues could be and what to do would be really helpful. I am not new to Volvo products, but these issues I have never seen before. I hope I didn't buy a lemon! Thanks!

SEAT SWITCHES DO GO BAD QUITE OFTEN ON THESE CARS

Big Guy
10-01-2008, 07:27 AM

Definetely have the charging system checked. If it's not the charging system or battery then something is draining the battery. I've had this problem with my 1995 850 but only when there is heavy rain.

I've had the problem where the lights don't go off.

I've had that same pinging noise for some time now, seat works. I wouldnlt do anything.

Would have investigated before buying a 1998-2000 Cross Country. I have a '95 850, 2000XC and a 2005XC. The 2000 has been a problem from day one. To many problems. Have one now with a fuse blowing that no one can seem to diagnose. GOOD LUCK!

db130
10-01-2008, 08:15 AM

2)The lights don't come on when the doors get opened-all of the doors are the same way. I thought maybe it was a sensor in just one of the doors but

check the switch on the overhead console between the 2 map lights. it could be in the "always off position" - it is a 3-position switch. leave the switch it in the "middle" position for normal operation.

JRL
10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
If the overhead switch is in the correct position, you may need a new door lock.
The locks also control the interior lights.
If you can switch them on manually, (from above) then look at the lock

instarx
10-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Would have investigated before buying a 1998-2000 Cross Country. I have a '95 850, 2000XC and a 2005XC. The 2000 has been a problem from day one. To many problems. Have one now with a fuse blowing that no one can seem to diagnose. GOOD LUCK!
Sorry aboput your issues. On the other hand my used 2000 XC bought about a year ago with 131,000 miles has needed a grand total of $105 in repairs (diagnose and replace one ignition coil).

As for the electrical problems - replace the battery before trying to fix any of them. A bad battery can cause many odd electrical problems.