PDA

View Full Version : Can I install a third row on a 5 seater XC90?

cambridge1
09-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi,

I am thinking on retro-fitting my just acquired 2004 XC90 with a third row. Is it possible? Does Volvo sell the the kits? or could the seat be bought used? Has anybody done the transformation?

I read on another forum that it was impossible.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=60864

But, I also remember I read something about finding the seats on Ebay, and that installation takes a 2-3 hours, but, I havent found the post again.

I also would like to buy the rear middle seat booster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

tato_c
09-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi

The answers posted on the other forum are correct. (I asked the same question a couple of years ago)
A new leveling suspension kit, seatbelts additions & floor modification are the three more critical components. You will also have to consider to modify the 2nd row for easy access.
More over, your engine has a small A/C unit not strong enough to send air back there (plus you should add the C-pilar vents, etc). Believe me: in Miami you are required to use you A/C almost all year long.
Finally you might have to deal with warranty (and insurance) issues.
I have a 03 5-seater, and a couple of years ago I run quick numbers about the conversion. The result: it was cheaper to sell it and get a 7 seater

Nevertheless, if you do it, please share your comments. I always wanted to see someone who could do it.

Good Luck!

Tato_c

boon4376
09-21-2008, 10:44 AM
I would just sell and get a 7 seater. I wouldnt think the side curtain air-bags would extend to the trunk on a 5 seater model.

dmd
09-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Poor planning indeed.... We have the 7-seater, rarely use the back ones. When
we do need them they are a VERY good thing to have. Probably 5-6 times a year.
Sure beats having to take 2 cars.