PDA

View Full Version : Overhead Console Unused Space

CrazyCanuck
09-15-2008, 12:19 PM
In my '04 XC70 there is a rectangular plastic cover on my overhead console just in front of the courtesy/reading light buttons.

I do not have an alarm motion sensor which is where this is rumoured to go if it were installed.
So... I'm guessing this is unused space.
Does this plastic cover come off easily, and might there be
an easily accessible 12v source therein without without having to remove the entire overhead console ?

I'm thinking about installing my TomTom GPS up there.

Many thanx in advance.

Crazy Harry
09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I agree that this would be useful space if you can get at it. There is power there since the Upper Electronic Module (UEM) is around there, fed from fuse 28 in the fuse box in the dash on the driver's side. This fuse is for the UEM, ceiling lights, front and rear reading lights, cargo compartment ceiling light, vanity mirror lights, remote controlled garage door opener and rain sensor module if you have them. Unfortunately, I can't help you figure out how to open the unit. The owner's manual doesn't help either: Under replacing bulbs for the front courtesy lights it says, "These bulbs may be difficult for you to replace yourself. We recommend that you let an authorized Volvo retailer replace these bulbs if necessary." [cussing] I did manage to pull down the rear of the entire assembly a bit, but not enough to get into it to see what's holding the front, probably fixed with the mirror and sunroof switch unit. There is space there and that cover you mentioned moves separately, but I can't tell how it is clipped in. Art posted instructions for the sun roof module (also tucked up in there) replacement under the resources tab, but the part about removing the ceiling light fixture with all the switches wasn't covered. Anyone have a DIY for removing the front courtesy lights/overhead console?

Harold.

Crazy Harry
09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I was looking through some Volvo installation instructions I had downloaded from:

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx

The Volvo Bluetooth Adaptor requires the installation of a microphone on the overhead console, so there is a step showing how to open up the overhead console. See step 15 below:

This starts at the front, the part I couldn't figure out in my previous post!

Hope this helps,

Harold.

MoeB
09-18-2008, 05:38 PM
I didn't realize what you guys were talking about. Now I see you're talking about the front overhead module. I don't know how big a TomTom GPS is, but there isn't much room in there. Looks like this inside:

Crazy Harry
09-18-2008, 08:18 PM
MoeB, you've got the right console, but the '04 version seems bigger than yours. In the photo below, you can see the rectangular bulge between the lights and switches that CrazyCanuck is referring to:

I checked the owner's manual again, but can't figure out if there is/was some option that wasn't installed in our cars?

Harold.

MoeB
09-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah, you're right, I didn't realize they changed the shape on them.

dsb
09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
MoeB, you've got the right console, but the '04 version seems bigger than yours. In the photo below, you can see the rectangular bulge between the lights and switches that CrazyCanuck is referring to:

I checked the owner's manual again, but can't figure out if there is/was some option that wasn't installed in our cars?

Harold.

My '04 has a vent there, like a larger version of the small vent on the radio/climate unit. Anyone know what that's for?

wgriswold
09-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't know if anything can be stored there, but I traced down a squeak to that about 6" x 4" rectangular bulge that is at the back of the overhead console. There was a squeak that had driven me crazy for years. It seemed to come from the dash but I could not find it. One day I touched the bulge thingy and applied a little pressure and the squeak went away. If I could get it off I would apply some teflon tape and reinstall in an attempt to stop the squeak. So I will follow this thread. So far it is not clear to me how to remove the bulgey cover.