PDA

View Full Version : MY2005 removing headlight assembly

MT71
09-13-2008, 03:48 AM
I've been searching here and on the net for a while but got nowhere. I'm looking at upgrading my headlight bulbs but doesn't feel like leaving the skin from my finger all over. There is not much space around the housing to access the bulbs.

I've read that on MY05+, you can remove the whole assembly. I think the V50can do that too?

Does anybody have the instruction and experience in removing the headlight.

thanks

Marc

ifnt420
09-13-2008, 06:40 AM
IIRC, the front bumper has to come off for the headlight assembly removal.
After removing bumper, there are 2 bolts on top, 2 bolts on bottom, and 1 on the side of each headlight assembly.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o12/ifnt420/IMG_5892Medium.jpg

Aviator
09-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Hey Marc....you don't need to take the headlamps assemblies out to change the bulbs. It actually takes longer to do that than it does to just change the bulbs. You just have to get your hand in there and be patient. I've replaced bulbs in my car about 4 times now and I've got it licked but it's still a pain in the ass!!

Dave.

Willy
09-13-2008, 07:18 AM
The connectors are known for being difficult to remove after some years, slightly lubricating the contact surfaces
of the new bulbs (with lube for electric contacts) can make the job a lot easier the next time.
As Aviator already mentioned, removing the whole assembly is not needed, apart from patience, good lighting also
helps a lot :D
Willy

MT71
09-13-2008, 04:59 PM
I guess I'll have to feel the pain of volvo's design :(

The high beam are easy to access, the low beam is a different story. The DRL are a nightmare.

I will check the aiming of the low beam, that was the main reason for upgrading the bulbs. I raised the beam pattern last week but it's still not enough.

Thanks for the reply guys

Marc

Willy
09-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Can you simply aim the lights the way you prefer?
Willy

MT71
09-14-2008, 02:21 AM
Yes Willy, that's exactly what I'll do this week. I was reading on the Toshiba HIR bulbs but I'm not sure if it works on the MY05. I have seen different info on the bulb type. My manual says H11 and H9, some website says H7.

I'll pull one out and see for sure.

Marc

pbmac
01-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I need to replace the entire headlight assembly on the passenger side. I purchased a new assembly from thevolvosite.com for my MY 2006 XC70. I have an instruction page for replacing the assembly on a MY 2001, but the instructions don't sync with the MY 2006. Any tips?