PDA

View Full Version : Interior trim "skin peeling", common?

TiredGeek
09-03-2008, 06:20 AM
I have noticed a patch on the centre console lift up lid that is peeling, much like after a sunburn your skin peels, it looks the same. I'm assuming this area is fake leather and what is coming off is a protective coating.

My stealer reckons something has been rubbing it and so doesn't think it's gonna be covered under warranty ('07 car). I disagree as it's on the front corner and wifey and I have tried our best to rub this area while driving, putting belt on and going in the cubby, but it's just not somewhere that we touch or rub. I would have expected the trim to be a bit tougher than this even if it was subject to a bit of rubbing, it's supposed to be a quality car :rolleyes:

So, is this common? If it's not gonna be covered (which I'm sure they're gonna say) is there anything I can do to stop it spreading any further?

boon4376
09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
hmmm, can you take a picture of this? Possibility of it being caused by the sun.. but you live in the UK so probably not [sly] I'd look at some others and see if its a defect in the trim's manufacturing. Make them prove it is being caused by "wear and tear"... See if other lids in other cars on the lot also rub (when closed), your's could very well be defective.

.. And i'm assuming the dealer meant rub because where it closes and the two pieces of plastic touch, they rub over bumps and such? Are they supposed to touch close enough to rub?

BIGGUYNE
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I've got the same problem on the drivers' side door handle. I's peeling like a bad case of sunburn...and yes, it's due to my knee rubbing against it. I haven't bitched about it yet. Is it a manufacturing defect? All I know is that it didn't happen on my MY 04.

Skid_o
09-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Having the same problem on my 2007 XC passanger door handle.

TiredGeek
09-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Ah ha, so at least I now know it's not just mine ;)

I can't get any pictures as my digital camera has died, waiting for stock of Canon 450D so I can still use my lenses......

The stealer took some pictures and promised to send 'em off to Volvo UK to get their opinion. Don't know if I can trust 'em though, I get the feeling they are a bit dodgy, and I've spoken to other owners who have had issues with them.

I'll give them a week or so and see what they have to say. If it's a no, then I'll write to Volvo UK direct and see where that get's me :rolleyes:

eastcoaster
09-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I also have this happening on the driver's door handle, on the rubbery-feeling part. This was a demo we bought with 10K miles on it, and it was already happening when we got it. Absolutely agree about not expecting it in a car of this quality, but then, I didn't expect a wheel bearing to go at 11K miles, either...

old850
09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Same experience on the door handle. It looks like a sunburn with the outer layer peeling off. I'm curious, what color interior is this occurring in? I have the tan.

Skid_o
09-05-2008, 06:52 AM
tan interior

TiredGeek
09-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Black interior.....

eastcoaster
09-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Mine's black.

SkagSig40
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
My 2004 seems to be ok at 47,000 miles. It has a couple discolored areas but not bad.

My 2006 is also fine too. Both are tan interior colors.

TiredGeek
09-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Was near my stealer today........

So after showing my stealer this thread their story has changed from "we've NEVER seen this sort of thing before, must be miss-use" to "well, we've never seen it on an XC, but we have seen this on some S60's". Odd that it's never affected an XC70, as fundamentally it's the same damn interior :rolleyes:

They say they're still awaiting a response from Volvo, though from the furtive and embarrassed looks they were giving each other I have the feeling they planned to fob me off with some story and hope I'd bend over and pay for new part myself.
When they read on here I was gonna write to Volvo myself they seemed to have a sudden change of attitude and promised to "chase it up asap". I took that to mean they'd actually get in touch with Volvo first thing Monday hoping that I would not find out they hadn't bothered last week.....

I may well write to Volvo UK anyway and see what they have to say both about the problem with the car and my experience with the dealer. I'm not a happy bunny :mad:

SkagSig40
09-08-2008, 01:04 AM
OK,
I looked really clost to my 2006 XC70 and it does have a couple tiny areas that appear to be the start of this peeling problem. I'll look at my 2004 XC70 this week and report back. I'm thinking even if they replace the door handles they new one will do the same in short time........

I'm thinking of having a local upholstry shop wrap the door handles in leather to pretect and prevent this. Also may have them wrap leather around the metal center grip because it gets so cold in the winter!

I'll post pictures when I have it done soon!

funglenn
09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
strange, i have an s60 and an 01 XC and don't have this. ALthough on my door handles I do have the silver paint scratched off behind the door pull latch--and the fake wood is exposed, looks terrible. I assume the previous owner had lots of jewelry on their hands. [cussing]

Ducatista
09-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Mine too, 04 model and 95k kms.
Charcoal door handle paint is this smooth touch-friendly type some mobile phones use.

Passenger side peeling. Driver side just pitting. Black plastic has raised its ugly head...

Agh bummer.

TiredGeek
09-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Result!

While I was down in Yorkshire I went to the big stealers in Leeds, no fuss, no hassle, guy took one look and booked it straight in for doing under warranty :D

The other dealer will never see my wallet again........

Skid_o
11-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Just got my 2006 back from the dealer with the new interior door handle no problems. They looked at it and said yes it is peeling we will order a new one for you under warranty. It was the passenger door handle.

thegruffalo
11-29-2008, 12:04 AM
We, too, had this issue with the interior door handle area. It was replaced without question by the dealer.