PDA

View Full Version : Heated seats- joke...or mine not working right.

XC70forme
08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
The heated seats in my recently purchased 04 seem to put out so little heat that I think they may not be working at all. The light comes on when I press the button, but it's hard to tell if the seat is heating at all. If it is, it's awfully weak. Could there be a fuse or something that is separate from the indicator light? Thanks, Dan.

Brave855
08-21-2008, 09:30 PM
hi, the heated seats have two settings (see user manual)

press once, high heat, both LEDs in the switch light up

press twice, low heat, one LED in the switch light up

press 3 times, heating off, no LEDs in the switch light up

Temperatures per setting, can be adjusted by your Volvo dealer if too low. Guess default factory settings should be OK normally for 90% of conditions, unless you live in Artic areas.

Your fuse ('s) can still be dead, check the fuse box within the soundbarrier (under the steering wheel) and verify fuses #1 + 2

gibbons
08-21-2008, 09:34 PM
They are thermostatically controlled, if it's summer where you are, chances are that ambient is keeping them near their max. They just warm the seats, not bake them. Do you have another car with h seats for a comparison?

JRL
08-22-2008, 04:57 AM
All of the above is correct but they come from the factory with so so heat serttings.
Have your dealer turn them to full hot (at the same time have them set the mirror to full dark).
They work just fine in this setting

brianc2112
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
JRL,
I spoke with the service manager down in Olympia about the mirror darkness. He said it wasn't adjustable for my 01. Then again, he says the clunk into drive when warm is normal, but that's another thread.

Should I go up to Bellevue to get mine darkened? Also, mine has just a little blob in the middle that darkens, almost like the LCD or whatever is failing. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

MoeB
08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Mine make my butt sweat on high. Yeah OK, so I've had some Friday night wine, LOL.

JRL
08-22-2008, 06:26 PM
JRL,
I spoke with the service manager down in Olympia about the mirror darkness. He said it wasn't adjustable for my 01. Then again, he says the clunk into drive when warm is normal, but that's another thread.

That service manager has no right to be a service manager.
Just go to a Volvo dealer who will reset them, of course they can, every 01 to current has three settigns in the computer.

I assume you now already know what to do about your transmission

XC70forme
08-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely stop at the dealer next time I get to Minneapolis. That's one of the bummers I accepted when we got this vehicle. Our nearest dealer is 240 miles away. Oh well, we don't need the heaters yet. Although you can already tell that nights are getting cooler around here- fall is not too far away. Thanks again, Dan.

gpaul3
08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
In a couple of my previous Volvos (1998), the wiring for the seater heater got pulled by the feet of passengers in the backseat. It was a matter of reaching down, making sure everything was plugged in and pushing it back up to the seat. Might worth taking a peek.

JRL
08-23-2008, 02:51 PM
In a couple of my previous Volvos (1998), the wiring for the seater heater got pulled by the feet of passengers in the backseat. It was a matter of reaching down, making sure everything was plugged in and pushing it back up to the seat. Might worth taking a peek.

No, he said they're pushing a "little heat" which would mean the switch is connected and unlke Gen 1 cars it's pretty hard for that to become disconnected

Jorge-789995
08-24-2008, 03:57 PM
No, he said they're pushing a "little heat" which would mean the switch is connected and unlke Gen 1 cars it's pretty hard for that to become disconnected

No, he said that they may not be working at all. He questioned whether they were heating because it was so hard to tell. He went on to mentioned the possibility of a fuse which would mean that it had crossed his mind that the seats were not heating.

Since wires that had been pulled off by back seat passengers would make the seats not heat, gpaul3's suggestion is valid. Like he said, it's worth a peek.

gpaul3
08-24-2008, 07:42 PM
For what it's worth. I had seats (in previous cars) that pushed barely any heat at all. The wires had not become unplugged but things did get pulled "out of place". Feeling under there and puting back where they belonged worked 2 or 3 times for me.