PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my car start?

Cross Current
08-15-2008, 05:51 PM
On vacation of course and my '05 XC 70 won't start.

It started yesterday morning when I turned the ignition key 2 clicks so I could roll down the windows and forgot to remove the key. Came back that night and the battery is stone dead. Try to jump start the vehicle using the contacts under the hood and it turns over and at best would run for a couple of seconds before quickly dying out. Had AAA try to jump it this AM but same problem.

So I trickle charged the battery today and it charges full but again the starter turns her over but wont start. Never had a start problem on the vehicle before. Any thoughts?

tgwillard
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
For some reason the fuel pump might not be functioning. I hope there is not some anti theft device that got screwed up when the battery went dead. I have heard of strange things happening to the VADIS computer when the battery is removed or goes dead.

uscgc70
08-15-2008, 07:43 PM
If it is an anti theft device, you may be able to reset it by using the key and locking/unlocking the drivers door a few times (three I think).

Cross Current
08-16-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the thoughts.

It is not the anti-theft system- that prevents the starter from even turning ( I had that problem once as well). Since the starter whirls and the engine sometimes fires and runs for a couple of secs I am confused why she then konks out.

Broken Fuel pump-maybe. Is then computer confused on how to mix fuel and air?

Cross Current
08-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Got towed to the dealer in New London, CT. They diagnosed the problem as "clogged" spark plugs. Basically like the engine was flooded! Hadn't seen that since my 1970's vehicle with a carburetor. So much for sophisticated air-fuel mixing.

Anyway, all is well now.

billr99
08-26-2008, 02:09 PM
"Clogged sparkplugs"?? I've been around cars for nearly 40 years and that's one I've never heard of.

Beyond that I have noticed with all of my Volvos that while running mostly Ontario fuel, I need to replace plugs at about 20K kms. Anything too much greater than that, I can tell that the performance and starting "quickness" starts falling off. A few years ago it was stated that the fuel refined in Ontario had the highest sulphur content in the G7 so I don't know if that is the cause or if there is some other additive or impurity that causes the plugs to degrade when they do. I normally use Champions or NGKs with neither being much different from the other.

Cheers,

Bill

Aviator
08-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I think they mean fuel fouled. Are you using platinum or iridium plugs?

Dave.

Cross Current
08-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes, I'm sure they mean fuel fouled.

These are the original plugs, I believe they are due to get swapped out at the 60K mile maintenance.

Do you have preferance on type of plug- not sure what these origninal plugs are.

Aviator
08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I've used NGK in all my Volvos and I swear by them, especially in the 245 I had. Bosch plug.....will NOT fire the 245 at anything below -10C. NGK.....strong fire at low temps; - 37C mornings without windchill one year for about two weeks straight.......second revolution of that B21A and it was running EVERY morning. I've used NGK for years without issue. As for the XC, I will be installing NGK platinums soon. I don't think iridium is worth the extra expense. Champion??....run away!!! NOT a good plug for most imports.

Dave.

billr99
08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Yep, I use the NGK platinums on the XC even though basic Champions always seemed to work best on all my other Volvos, including my 850R. Have tried Bosch on all of them and all have exhibited a lack of "snap" with those. For the most part, I have never seen a huge difference between NGKs and Champions except on a SAAB I had (required plug due to engine management setup) and on my Range Rover which just seemed to like them best.

Cheers,

Bill

jimternet
04-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Did you ever figure out what happened? I am having the same problem.

jda2000
04-14-2010, 07:23 AM
yes, he said the problem was fuel soaked spark plugs.