PDA

View Full Version : Removing seatbelts

gary
08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
I have a 2003 XC70 with the third/rear seat. My kids have long outgrown the seat and thus it seldom gets used. I recently bought the steel barrier without realizing that it can't be used on vehicles equipped with the third seat because the seatbelt brackets for the third seat are in the way. Does anyone know how difficult removing the seatbelts is? Is it a DIY job? I don't envision selling the car and I don't envision ever using that third seat again, so I'm thinking just to remove the seatbelts, IF it's not too much of a PITA. If it is a PITA, expect to see an oak (taupe) colored steel cargo barrier for sale in the Classified Ads forum in the not too distant future. :)

Art
08-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Gary,

Judging from the PDF procedure, it doesn't appear too difficult to tackle.

gary
08-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Art,

Thanks very much! Looks easy enough even for a NOT mechanically inclined guy like me! :D

gary
08-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Art,

Thanks again for the pdf's. I removed the seatbelts/brackets from the roof and it took all of about 20 minutes! I decided not to remove the seatbelts entirely just in case I do ever need to use that seat again; it will be just a simple matter of removing the steel cargo barrier and reattaching the brackets. [thumbup]

Ocean Racer
07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
I also have a similar problem.

As a result of my passenger window being smashed by a vandal, some broken glass fragments landed perfectly in the locking mechanism of the front seat belt.
How can I remove this to try and fix?

Art
07-30-2010, 09:55 PM
It sounding more like you'll need to remove the seat in order to appropriately access the buckle.

More here. (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16602)