PDA

View Full Version : A note on Nokians

tbowie
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Hey all, I just wanted share an experiance I had recently with my i3's. I purchased my i3's in Chicago from Suburban Tire back in November of '06 while I was on a road trip. Last month I had a blowout (but still well within warranty mileage), but sadly there isn't a Nokian dealer in Atlanta and I think a total of 3 in the state. Needless to say, I wouldn't have been able to get to any of them on my donut. I called Nokian's HQ in Tennessee and were very helpful, took my information and called me back the next day. I explained the situation CSrep, and they put me in touch with the regional sales mgr (actually I think they gave me his home #:eek:). After I briefly explained the situation to him, he agreed to ship me a free i3 with no strings attached! The new tire was on my doorstep by midweek and I had my local mechanic put it on the wheel the next day. This is what customer service is supposed to be about folks, and I thought I should share it with everyone.

db130
08-14-2008, 05:21 AM
Very nice of Nokian but I'd look into buying at least one more new tire so that you are not running 1 new tire and 3 used tires(mismatching tread depth) to preserve your AWD.

huntro
08-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I blew out a rear dunlop a few years back. Never liked the tires, and they were pretty close to shot thank goodness, because the advice I received from Volvo was that all tires would need to be replaced. These AWD cars are expensive no matter how you slice it wrt to tires, and you are never supposed to run any of the tires at a different level of tread wear.

On another note, I have heard Nokian is a good tire, especially for those driving in the snow a lot. I just purchased BFG Radial T/As in a non factory size of 225/50/R16. The extra width looks great and also feels great in corners. Just don't blow out on me please!!!!

tbowie
08-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Very nice of Nokian but I'd look into buying at least one more new tire so that you are not running 1 new tire and 3 used tires(mismatching tread depth) to preserve your AWD.

I asked my mechanic about this and he said "If you had a subaru I would suggest it." :cool: What's the part that wears, the viscous coupling?

JRL
08-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I asked my mechanic about this and he said "If you had a subaru I would suggest it." :cool: What's the part that wears, the viscous coupling?
The driveshaft (propshaft, $1000) and the bevel gear ($2000) are the two parts that fail first, VC's seem to be much less common although they can fail too

tbowie
08-17-2008, 04:12 PM
great - anyone know where I can order 1 nokian online?

Josh775
08-21-2008, 04:52 PM
great - anyone know where I can order 1 nokian online?

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/

They are also aces at customer service!

instarx
08-22-2008, 09:01 AM
You could also have the tread on that one new Nokian shaved so that it matches the others. Seems a shame, but....

tbowie
08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm going to be up in Middle TN soon so I will just swing by the co-op and get and new one thrown on there. I recently had to have a strut repaired on the same wheel as the one that blew out. That shouldn't cause any bevel gear, right?