PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights staying on...

mrshollysXC
08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Interesting thing I noticed today.

My brakes lights are staying on. Very strange! I'm guessing this is not a part of the safety feature? *LOL* I tried turning the lights on and off, etc., but they remain on.

Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

OK...I'm editing this post to say...went back outside (in all my disbelief) and read the owners manual. I know, I know...probably should have done this before I went into a panic.

From what I understand, when the driving lights are on, the front lights, and parking lights (front and rear) will illuminate as well as will the license plate lights. I read that you can have your dealer turn this feature off...has anyone done THAT? I think this might cut down on the number of shot bulbs, but that's just me thinking out loud.

Any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks again and sorry for jumping to conclusions!

Mink
08-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Out of curiosity, how often do bulbs burn out these days - even with full-time use? My own experience is that it's pretty rare, but I may have been lucky.

mrshollysXC
08-12-2008, 08:30 AM
My first wagon loved to blow bulbs. So far, my latest Volvo has yet to blow any.

I'm hoping it's better. :D

colin
08-12-2008, 11:44 AM
I have replaced both left and right side rear "marker" lights. I think that is the bulbs you were referring to as brake lights.
At least the message center tells me when a bulb is burned out and they are very easy to change.

They are part of the daytime running light system and there is a way to turn that off via the VADIS interface. Most DRL systems only have the headlights on but the Volvo also has the rear marker lights. It is illegal to turn off DRL in Canada but you can in USA I think.

mrshollysXC
08-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Correct...when I first noticed the marker lights, I could have sworn they were the actual "brake" lights staying on, so of course, I went into panic mode. This is the first car I have owned where the back lights stay on like the front when the running lights are on. I guess it just blew my mind. :eek: I'm good with it now though. [thumbup]

I have replaced both left and right side rear "marker" lights. I think that is the bulbs you were referring to as brake lights.
At least the message center tells me when a bulb is burned out and they are very easy to change.

They are part of the daytime running light system and there is a way to turn that off via the VADIS interface. Most DRL systems only have the headlights on but the Volvo also has the rear marker lights. It is illegal to turn off DRL in Canada but you can in USA I think.