PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fluid Change vs. Flush

duncan
08-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 XC, 84k miles on it.

I just took it in for an overdue servicing and everything checked out fine. Not a single problem. I did, however, ask them to check the trans fluid, as that's something I'm cautious of on this model. The car shifts perfectly, and I want to keep it that way.

The mechanic said the fluid was "quite dark" and did a change. The records show they replaced 3.5L worth. It was replaced with Maxlife ATF.

Their suggestion was the trans fluid probably now won't have to be changed for quite a while (30k). That may be true for most cars, but given this is the notorious 01 transmission, I wonder if I should be a bit more proactive? I'm slightly worried about the remaining 4L of old ATF still floating around in there.

Should I:

1) Do nothing for another 30k
2) Do another trans fluid change
3) Do a complete flush

Thoughts appreciated!

JRL
08-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Well, since they replaced it with the WRONG fluid (and now you have a mixture of two different fluids in there) you have no choice except to flush it NOW, I mean ASAP, like this week, unless it's already f**ked up!

Aviator
08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
http://www.valvoline.com/products/Maxlife%20ATF.pdf

Read under approvals/performance levels.......
Suitable for use in Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV applications.

Five minutes of research says this oil is okay to use. I know the shop Duncan took his car too.....the owner has been at Volvos for decades. I trained under him during my apprenticeship for becoming an automotive tech. The man knows his ****tt !!!

Dave.

Capt. Canuck
08-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I too have been contemplating on changing my tranny fluid on my 03' however I'd like to also know any suggestions to Duncan's question.

Complete flush or just a simple change? Also any suggestions on tranny fluid recommendation.

JRL
08-09-2008, 01:58 PM
http://www.valvoline.com/products/Maxlife%20ATF.pdf

Read under approvals/performance levels........

Five minutes of research says this oil is okay to use. I know the shop Duncan took his car too.....the owner has been at Volvos for decades. I trained under him during my apprenticeship for becoming an automotive tech. The man knows his ****tt !!!

Dave.
This has been discussed to death so I'm not gooing to continue any fluid discussions...
Use at your own risk