PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth paying extra for warranty on used XC70?

sharkey
08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Do you think it's worth about $3500 to buy 4yrs extra warranty on a used '04 or '06 X70 with under 40k miles? I'm not sure what kind of repairs and maintenance costs to expect in the next 4 years.

JRL
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM
IMO the simple aswer is yes

VICIII
08-07-2008, 08:48 AM
yes. If factory and not the after market bs warranties...

uscgc70
08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Totally worth it, i wish i would have gotten a warranty on mine.

mydogchuck
08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
for me, yes. Got an 03 with 29k and bought 4 more years. In the first year, it's had 2 warranty repair trips, and now the catalytic converter's toast! But it's all been covered. I'd be P.O'ed if I hadn't gotten it. Not to mention peace of mind!

Forkster
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Do you think it's worth about $3500 to buy 4yrs extra warranty on a used '04 or '06 X70 with under 40k miles? I'm not sure what kind of repairs and maintenance costs to expect in the next 4 years.Absolutely not. Save your money and take your family on a nice vacation.

uscgc70
08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
my new trans alone cost over $3300, so this would be a real deal.

mitchgat
08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I have an '03 and not a day goes by that I don't regret having passed on that opportunity. I love the car, but when something does go on one of these, the sticker shock is enough to make you question your purchase.....parts are more expensive than "other cars", and dealer labor is insane. IMO, it's worth potentially overpaying by getting the warranty than taking it out of your pocket when you really can't afford it....

And now we're at the point where I have a "bad" central computer ($1000) following a rear bearing ($500) following a window regulator ($400), not even considering the cost of my recent 60k maintenance ($350).

We're saying goodbye to ours, something I wouldn't be doing had I purchased the warranty.

howardc64
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Then you should buy it :)

Used European cars over 50k miles have problems beyond the factory maintenance schedule.

If you know about these cars mechanically, you would probably check it more often, can replace some things, and probably think the cost of ext warranty isn't worth it based on you self maintenance skills.

But if you don't know these cars mechanically and just follow factory maintenance schedule. Things will go wrong and they are expensive to fix.

I guess even for those of us that know a bit of these cars mechanically, big ticket stuff like transmission and angle gear is probably still beyond most of us. Replacing these easily go over $3500.

I guess it is the admission price of owning European cars :( BMW, Mercedes are the same if not worse.

So since you asked...

bbbuzzy
08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I, too, am interested in an extended warranty ('05 XC70 at 30K miles, 1 yr left). Looking at the Volvo corporate site I see two plans (Stated Component and Total Care). If you look at the bottom of the description, there is a reference that TotalCare is trademark of Automobile Protection Corporation. They have a website and they say:

"Our Award Winning Customer Service processes have helped us
build long term marketing and administrative relation ships with the following national companies:
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda Volvo"

It seems as if Volvo's extended warranty is actually a re-bundling of a 3rd party marketing product. Anyone have knowledge about this or insightful comments?
Has anyone bought the TotalCare warranty from a Vovlo dealer and had to use it? What was your experience like? Thanks in advance.

MoeB
08-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Do you think it's worth about $3500 to buy 4yrs extra warranty on a used '04 or '06 X70 with under 40k miles? I'm not sure what kind of repairs and maintenance costs to expect in the next 4 years.

I'd be surprised if you didn't spend close to that in repairs over 4 years. Question is, would that warranty cover it?