PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone - Proud New Owner

duncan
08-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been snooping here for a few days and thought I would come out of the woodwork and say hello. So, hi!

I’m excited to say that I just bought my very first Volvo XC – and actually, it’s my very first car. I’m a 25yr old single guy, so the XC might seem like an unusual choice – but I have always loved and driven Volvos, and am looking forward to loading it up with kayaks on the roof and bikes in the back.

XC’s have always been one of my dream cars, probably since 1999. I have always driven a 1995 Volvo 850 and loved the way it drove, looked, and felt. The XC always seemed like a sexier, more capable version of that.

I think ironically I first became hooked on Volvos when our 850 engine blew. I had noticed a ticking noise at idle for a few days, but didn’t think anything of it. Then one day on the highway I noticed the car felt funny. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I knew something was wrong. I turned off the radio and listened for any sign of the problem. About 5 minutes later, BOOM! The car was wildly shaking, heavily smoking, and generally not looking very good. I pull over as fast as I can and get it towed to the dealer. We then were informed that one of our cylinders became clogged, overheated, and blew apart. (Maybe one of you technical people can explain this a bit better.) The dealer said they had never seen anything like it, and actually called Volvo Canada to let them know. However, at this point the car was WAY out of warranty and was already on its second owner. We thought we were completely screwed, and then the next day got a call from Volvo’s head office. They said “we know your car is not under warranty, but this should never happen to one of our vehicles” and shipped us a brand new engine – for FREE! We only had to pay for a rental car for a few weeks and they covered everything. Unbelievable. Volvo may take some heat with others, but they certainly won us over in that case.

Whoops, back to my car. It’s a 2001 with 84k miles on it, and is in exceptional shape. The inside is in immaculate condition, the outside looks great, and most importantly it runs flawlessly. It has always been dealer maintained and appears to bear testament to that. All in all I am very happy with it and think I got a great deal. It only has two slight problems: 1) the driver’s side curtain airbag does not work. I’m not sure the exact reason, but I expect to have to get that replaced, 2) the driver’s seat does not recline without blowing a fuse. I expect the motor is probably blown, which honestly does not bother me. If anyone has any advice about these two items, feel free to let me know :)

Before buying the car I checked out Consumer Reports and saw the rather bleak reliability rating. Then coming here and reading the array of apparent problems (ETM, AWD/uneven tires, transmissions, etc.) was a little unnerving – but I am hoping for the best and fully expecting something to go sooner than later. Although hopefully I am just a little spooked ;)

Does anyone have anything I should specifically watch out for, do, or otherwise be aware of? The car is a little past due on its 82.5k tuneup – anything I should specifically get them to review?

Looking forward to hanging around here.

Duncan

JRL
08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Timing belt would be a good idea, 7 years or 105K miles, your 7 years are way up.
While being done just get a full check out

Mink
08-02-2008, 03:44 AM
Welcome Duncan - may you have great times with your XC. There's nothing like the first!

And that's a very inspiring story about Volvo Canada! No wonder you stuck with Volvo.

It's clear the '01 has more than its fair share of problems, but quite a few members of this forum have said their '01s have given them great service. The trannie seems to be the achilles heel of that model but perhaps your trannie has been replaced already? Do you have access to the service record of the car - in your shoes I'd try to find out exactly what's been done to date.

duncan
08-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi Mink,

I checked the service records and all it shows is the usual stuff - oil change, filter change etc. The front struts were replaced a year ago, and it got all new breaks about a month ago. Aside from that it's all normal service stamps.

Mink
08-02-2008, 07:38 AM
I wonder if your trannie had been changed, whether it would appear in your service book? I have the impression that there's a central database which Volvo dealers/agents tap into using VIN numbers which allows them to look up the full service history of each car. Maybe someone else could clarify?