PDA

View Full Version : dried film on dip stick?

dct115
07-26-2008, 11:50 PM
I recently purchased a 2005 xc70 used with about 25k miles. The car runs perfectly, but I replaced the oil/filter today and noticed a film (dried and brown) on part of the dip-stick. I have the service records from the previous owner and I can see that the car was serviced by Volvo at 15k miles and 21k miles. I dont have any service records from prior to that, but I was led to believe that the car had been serviced by Volvo 3 times (which was apparently included with the warranty) and had oil changes at other places. Upon further inspection, I also noticed a similar film on the inside of the oil cap (on top of the engine) and on the sceen inside of there.

My question is: has anyone else seen this? Of course, my worry is that at some point, the oil was not changed for a long time (possible between 0 and 15k miles) and sludge built up. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
-Damon

JRL
07-27-2008, 05:17 AM
Yes, it happens when the oil is changed at higher intervals and the car is just puttering around town.
Do an oil change and get the oil HOT. Drive it on the highway and for some distances then change the oil again in 2500 miles.
After that do 5000 mile oil changes and you will be fine, eventually it will go away (unless you do 3-7 miles trips only)
This also usually happens in winter when the oil never gets really hot becuse the car is just doing short trips

dlr97
07-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I suggest using synthetic oil also. Normally the Volvo paid services will not include synthetic, even though the manual recommends it. I supply my own for the paid services.

dct115
07-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Guys,

Thanks! You are correct, the previous owner didnt drive much and the car sat a lot. I will follow your suggestions. FYI, I have already switched to Mobil 1 synthetic.

Thanks!
-Damon