PDA

View Full Version : towing with a 2002 v70xc

rapidpony
07-25-2008, 08:59 AM
hi -

pls don't think I'm nuts...
but I have a 2 horse trailer that supposedly can be hauled (loaded) by the xcv70... couple of q's before I try this (used to haul w/my jeep which blew up on Monday)....

1 - does anyone know the 2002 xc70 toung weight limit? i've heard 330 and 160 - am not able to verify...

3 - has anyone put a class III hitch on a 02 xc70?
2- has anyone tried this?
4 - on the uk volvo site they list the max hauling at a higher rate than the us site - any ideas why?
5 - can a transmission cooler be added to my volvo?

I have a brenderup baron 2 h- supposedly due to the way it's balanced all I need is..
150+ hp and minimum wheel base of 93" - and a toung weight of 250 or better....
empty weight of trailer is 2100 - big horse is 1200 - junk 100-150 and 2 people - 250 lbs - possibly need to add a pony - under 700 lbs extra

i know in europe the v70xc is often used to haul similar trailers - any experience/suggestions guidance etc is greatly appreciated

i dont' want annother truck/jeep - if I can do this w/out killing the volvo it would be great-

distance- short distance- rolling gentle flat terrain - max distance is 60 miles...each way - and i'd only be hauling about 5-10 times/yr

TheDarkKnightt
07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
If I am correct, even thought I have a 2005 model, I just had to go through all this myself.
I am certain that the load weights and such are the same.
I'm no expert, but since I'm having my VIDA updated at the dealership right now on my '05 XC70...I'll give it a shot since I have nothing better to do.

1. Tongue weight...
I think this happens to depend on the type and brand of hitch that will be installed.
Either one of the 1 1/4" hitches or the Volvo 2" receiver Class II hitch.
I believe it is listed in the manual. Without reading/searching *I think* it's 200 pounds.

2. A Class 3 hitch?
No. The factory Volvo receiver is rated as a class 2 hitch. It is 2" so it will accept all 2" hitch accessories. The differences between a class 2 and class 3 are the weight ratings.

4. Differences between the UK site and US site for weight ratings.
Probably has to do with the US Department of Transportation and insurance companies.
I think I would stick with the lower of the two...various equipment reasons.

5. Can a transmission cooler be added?
Certainly. Either by yourself by buying one from your neighborhood parts store, or with the factory Volvo unit.

One word of caution...the weights for your trailer and load are at or just above the recommended maximum for the vehicle. Some will argue that this car wasn't designed for that kind of load.

You'd have to install trailer brakes, and I'd recommend a brake upgrade on the car too. Don't want that trailer to push you through a stop sign or light! ;)

That's my two cents.
Perhaps another member or two will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

TheDarkKnightt
07-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Maximum tongue weight: 165 lbs.
Trailer without brakes: 1650
With brakes: 3300

Also stated in the manual...

If air temperature is over 86 F, the max recommended weight for trailers is 2000 lbs.