PDA

View Full Version : i have ordered a XC 60 D5

Halle
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi, US folks!

I am a swedish guy that have ordered my first XC 60, and i am worried!
I work very close to Volvo, i live in gothenburg, and the rumour is that Volvo is going to quit selling in the US.

The reason is obvious, they are doing something like 7000 USD loss on every vehicle delivered to the states!

Believe me, this is going to crash!!

Sorry for you guys living in the states, maybe i will start exporting these lovely cars to you...

I have driven the ´XC 60, and i love it, just waiting to put the keys in my own in november this year!

MLPVT
10-16-2008, 12:41 AM
:eek: Boy o boy, I certainly hope THAT doesn't happen. Lets just hope that Volvo/Ford can turn the company around before it comes to that.

You Might want to read this article published in Forbes two days ago.

Unsafe Times for Volvo (http://www.forbes.com/business/2008/10/14/volvo-ford-sweden-oped-cx_jf_1014flint.html)

tgwillard
10-16-2008, 05:57 AM
My dealer was scheduled to have an XC60 on display this weekend, but just notified me that the event has been cancelled. I hope that Volvo and my local dealer can ride out the depressed market.

MLPVT
10-16-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm planning on ordering one the second it hits the marketplace so I hope this isn't a sign of whats to come.

Anyway, there are two new XC60 video's out if you are unaware: one is a car review in the UK and the other was taped a few days ago in Scarbourough, Massachusetts, on the XC60 tour.

Enjoy

Lars
So. Burlington, VT.

CARDOMAIN.COM REVIEW (U.K.) (http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/xc60/)

XC60 tour (Scarbourough, MA on 10/13/2008) (http://www.tauntongazette.com/news/business_news/x282372680/Video-New-feature-stops-car-before-low-speed-collision)

brissim
03-27-2010, 02:14 PM
I think is a classic "rumours of my death" story. The only thing that has been confirmed is that the V70 is being pulled from the US market. See over at Swedespeed for more info and discussion on this and changes to other Volvo models. However having said this, if the sale of Volvo to Geely is completed and sales in the US dive as some people are suggesting, then who knows.

Tony

brissim
03-27-2010, 02:51 PM
And I apoligise - I've just noted the date of the original thread. I should not have replied to it.

Tony

Manuel_de_Vol
04-08-2010, 01:40 PM
And I apoligise - I've just noted the date of the original thread. I should not have replied to it.

Tony

I think is a classic "rumours of my death" story. The only thing that has been confirmed is that the V70 is being pulled from the US market. See over at Swedespeed for more info and discussion on this and changes to other Volvo models. However having said this, if the sale of Volvo to Geely is completed and sales in the US dive as some people are suggesting, then who knows.

Tony

Well I'll bite, Tony (I'm a newbie on this forum.;))

I'm surprised (and perhaps a little disappointed) that the V70 is to be discontinued in the US ... not too smart, IMO.

As for the discussion about Geely taking over Volvo, there are a number of different viewpoints. I'm hardly a Sino expert, but I'm well aware that the Chinese tend to take long-term approaches.

If you consider the Saab buyout by GM, then that (IMO) is the sort of thing the Chinese are extremely unlikely to do. GM bought the Saab name, but appeared to think that once they'd bought the name, they'd bought a ticket to unrivalled wealth.

Really? How much money did GM pour into R&D for Saab?
What were the differences (other than a Subaru engine) between a 1999 Saab and a 2009 Saab? - For that matter, what were the differences between a 1989 Saab and a 2009 Saab? - Obviously not enough to keep people buying Saab cars.

What did Ford do with Volvo? (Apart from lose money.)

When Volvo bought out Daf back in the early 80's they produced one or two amazingly crappy cars ... I had a Volvo 340. Daf gearbox (rubber bands ... in cold weather, it was a variable noise, constant speed box :eek::eek:) A Renault engine (nothing wrong with that) inferior bodywork, lightweight suspension (McPherson struts which bend if you hit a pothole) and a Volvo badge on the front.

A rubbish car.

BUT: Volvo did buy some very advanced gearbox technology (let's ignore the truck division) and they incorporated that technology into today's cars. Volvo automatic transmissions are hard to beat.

Ford bought Volvo, didn't they? So Ford made good use of the technology they'd bought, did they? - No they did not! - I was stupid enough to buy a Ford Ranger truck with an automatic gearbox in 2007. I paid a load of money and bought 1957 technology. Ford didn't migrate the technology they owned to their bread-and-butter products. My Ford Ranger truck could carry far less than my V50, could tow far less than my V50, went slower than my V50 and burnt half as much fuel again. - I got rid of it.

The market for cars in China is big and it's getting bigger. What if:

1. Geely pump money (for R&D) into Volvo.
2. Geely allow Volvo to do their own thing and to serve their own market.
3. Geely take the technology developed by Volvo and move it into the (potentially huge) Chinese market.
4. Geely set up 'Geely' factories to manufacture (mass produced) Geely autos - using Volvo technology - in China.
5. Geely set up 'Volvo' factories (just one or two) to make high-class, high-priced 'up-market' Volvo (geelys) for those who wouldn't be seen dead in a Toyota but are more than happy to drive a Lexus;))
6. Geely set up factories which make spare parts for both Geelys and Volvos.

Do the Chinese have any experience or expertise in making after-market parts (or OEM parts, for that matter) for sale to the rest of the world?

Do you have (for instance) an Apple Ipod? Where was it made? is it cheaper (or more expensive) than an American-made Ipod?

Consider European cars:

Skoda, Volkswagen, Audi, NSU, Porsche.

Some cost rather more than others. Some are remarkably similar to others.

What's the difference between a Skoda Fabia and a VW Polo? - Apart from the price?

I don't think for one moment that Geely are going to damage Volvo. They're in business to make money nad the best way ro make money is to provide a product which your customers wish to buy at a price they are prepared to pay.

Ford couldn't do it.

I suspect Geely will show them what they should have done ... and make bit more through their other outlets.