PDA

View Full Version : Aviator - Question??

billr99
07-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Aviator - need some of your local "Maritime" expertise (others please add if you have any insight regardless of region).

I am over in Nova Scotia for the next couple of weeks looking for a house. Been driving all over putting on serious clicks and fueling up at Irving. I've had a bit of "fluttering" (not really a miss) when under full load and when the car should be under full boost before, but I changed out the plugs, the boost solenoid, air filter and it seemed to go away. Now with Irving in the tank, it seems to have come back. I'm figuring that I have full boost control issues, but damn if I can find any vacuum leaks in any of the control lines. Also no codes are showing, running is smooth all thru the rev range (full auto, or slap shift) as long as I 'm not under high boost and at cruise. Coil boots and wiring looks good. Any ideas?? Suppose I could do Wilson gas or something but Irvings are everywhere any more.

Thanks,

Bill

Aviator
07-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Well, if you're not getting any codes it might just be a dirty injector or even a coil breaking once in a while. Under full load is when you'd pick up a coil breaking down. For what it's worth.....as long as I've been working in car dealerships, it has been pounded into my brain....do not use Wilson's fuel !!!!! Time and time again, I've dealt with driveability issues that boil right down to crappy fuel......and it was Wilson's nine out of ten times. Now I haven't done any research to qualify that, but that's just how things turned out; especially in the winter. I prefer to use Shell myself, as well as PetroCan, and Esso. I have heard from several persons of late that Irving has been doing things with their fuel and a lot of people are having driveability issues. Don't know all the details...

Dave.

billr99
07-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks, Dave. Looks like I it would be a good start to try Petro or Esso and stay clear of Wilsons and Irving.

I didn't have any problems at all coming over from North Bay over the weekend but I used Esso all the way. Ran well up until I got Irving down in Shelburne. With all the rain over the last day or so, maybe I got hold of a bit of water in a near-empty tank or something.

Thanks again,

Bill

Forkster
07-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Well, if you're not getting any codes it might just be a dirty injector or even a coil breaking once in a while. Under full load is when you'd pick up a coil breaking down. For what it's worth.....as long as I've been working in car dealerships, it has been pounded into my brain....do not use Wilson's fuel !!!!! Time and time again, I've dealt with driveability issues that boil right down to crappy fuel......and it was Wilson's nine out of ten times. Now I haven't done any research to qualify that, but that's just how things turned out; especially in the winter. I prefer to use Shell myself, as well as PetroCan, and Esso. I have heard from several persons of late that Irving has been doing things with their fuel and a lot of people are having driveability issues. Don't know all the details...

Dave.Having lived in Maritime for a number of my military years, doesn't Irving use a high % of ethanol in their fuel? I thought it was higher than Husky?
:confused:

BLUEH20
07-22-2008, 11:04 PM
We had an issue with fuel used in areas that require higher levels of ethanol for smog control.

He is what we would see--a vehicle would run perfectly in the locality with the ethanol fuel--but as they with transverse the mountain range to come to centeral or eastern Washington State--the enigne would naturally run warmer thus the reciruclating fuel to the tank was and remained more areated. The fuel return and pump pickup point were fairly close to each other. The longer areated fuel was allowed to be piced up and sent to the injectors with excess returned to the tank starting the loop over again with greated areation the less fuel presented to the injectors and the poorer the performance. In the worst case--the fuel pump would fail due to no lubrication--virtually all air being pumped even though the tank had an adequate supply of fuel avaialbe for normal operations.

The first sympton the operator noted was loss of power and often desribed as an engine flutter and the more throttle applied only made the symtoms worst.

Never had this issue with any vehilce using only pure petrol based fuel--this is also one of the reasons may vehicles prohibit the use of E85 fuel.

billr99
07-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Having lived in Maritime for a number of my military years, doesn't Irving use a high % of ethanol in their fuel? I thought it was higher than Husky?
:confused:

I didn't see anything posted (its required in ON to post percentage if not "pure"); but Irving does formulate their fuel for the New England market, so perhaps they are using alcohol more to meet EPA regs. Something to considered especially in light of the comment about aerated fuel. I have had a lot of injected cars over the years and have run 10% ethanol quite a bit. Never heard of that one but these days seems anything is possible as the running parameters become tighter and tighter.

Aviator - is it still true that other than Irving, everybody else fuel is coming from imperial's Dartmouth refinery (i.e. its all the same)?

Thanks guys for the input

Bill

Aviator
07-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Aviator - is it still true that other than Irving, everybody else fuel is coming from imperial's Dartmouth refinery (i.e. its all the same)?

Yup....I work down that way and everyday you see all the different trucks filling up there. They each have their own "additives" mixed in with the same fuel.

Dave.

Forkster
07-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Yup....I work down that way and everyday you see all the different trucks filling up there. They each have their own "additives" mixed in with the same fuel.

Dave.Bill - Stick with Esso for a month and see if that helps resolve the issue. If not, then perhaps your MAF sensor/screen needs cleaning?