View Full Version : transmission issues-again

mountainfreak4465
07-22-2008, 08:51 AM
About 6 months ago I had my transmission replaced in my 2002 volvo xc. The dealership, and then the independent transmission shop I took it to said the gears were coming apart. Done, replaced, $3500 out of pocket.

1 month ago the "transmission service urgent" light, and "check engine" light came on. There was a pronounced hesitation and slow start off the line. Before I could get it back to the tranny shop the car locked me out of the drive position. I could only go into neutral or reverse. So I had it towed there. A couple days later the shop called said the tranny was fixed and that a couple of bolts came loose and blocked the car from engaging into drive.

Since then, the engine hesitation resumed and the "Urgent transmission service" light came on again. The "check engine" light remains on. Once again, I bring it back to the tranny shop. They call and tell me there's some sort of blockage "maybe the cadilidic converter", and they can't find anything wrong with the tranny.

So yesterday I go and pick up the volvo. I notice an extremely low hollow noise coming from the exhaust as I lethargicly pull away. 1 block later I'm stalled on the side of the road. Back to the shop.

The shop manager tells me that because the car could barely move itself, they couldn't get it up to speed to run a proper diagnostic. Only a "generic" transmission code was tripped and I have to get the intake problem fixed in order to get a proper diagnostic on the tranny.

So I tow it to another recommended family mechanic (not a shop). He calls this morning and says it's the "transmission sensor," and he can fix it, but it will cost. The original tranny shops warranty should cover it.

My situation is this. I'm a new father to be watching every penny. I'm leaning towards sucking it up and having it towed to the dealership for a proper diagnostic. But that obviously will be the most expensive route.

It seems that I have two mutually exclusive issues being looked at by two incompetent mechanics.

Sorry for the long winded story, but I need advice. Thanks.

Aviator
07-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm leaning towards sucking it up and having it towed to the dealership for a proper diagnostic. But that obviously will be the most expensive route.

Unfortunately, that would be your best option at this point. Right now, too many people have screwed your mind up and you need professional diagnostics. Ask for the best troubleshooter in the shop, and you should be alright. BTW, what's a transmission sensor ??? Does it sense if transmissions are around ?

Dave.

mountainfreak4465
07-24-2008, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I know..."transmission sensor." That's pretty funny. Anyway the tow truck is coming for the third time, and I'm taking it down to the dealership. It's not going to be pretty. :eek:I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.