PDA

View Full Version : loud whining noise

TS01
07-19-2008, 06:22 PM
I am experiencing a loud high pitched whining noise when I am driving in a pouring rain. The noise will decrease in sound when I decelerate but when I accelerate, the noise will increase in sound. It only occurs during a heavy rain. The car is an 04 XC70... Any ideas? Thanks.

bbbuzzy
07-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Wow! I just logged on to ask the exact same thing. Just happened for the first time in my stock '05 XC70 during heavy, heavy rain a few hours ago. Exactly as you described it. Let's hope someone can help us out.

JRL
07-19-2008, 07:40 PM
This is called "rain squeal" .
It happens when the resonator expands in the heat (hitting the cold water) and rubs against the driveshaft.
The Volvo dealer has a fix, go to him or.... just remove the resonator and install a straight pipe. A little (neat) noise under full throttle but the squeal will be gone forever.
This is very common on R's but seemingly lately it's been happening to XC's, not sure why with the added road clearance

TS01
07-20-2008, 05:35 AM
JRL: Thanks for the info! My husband and I were suspicious that it was really nothing serious; however, the noise is quite bothersome when traveling. I'll check w/my trusted Volvo mechanic and ask him to take care of that for me.

Allen
05-20-2012, 07:35 PM
I experienced this the other day in a heavy rain on the freeway. It really freaked me out.

JRL
05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
JRL: Thanks for the info! My husband and I were suspicious that it was really nothing serious; however, the noise is quite bothersome when traveling. I'll check w/my trusted Volvo mechanic and ask him to take care of that for me.

You need to fix it, not good for the propshaft

Ocean Racer
05-20-2012, 10:27 PM
I am experiencing a loud high pitched whining noise when I am driving in a pouring rain..

What's my fiance doing over there?