PDA

View Full Version : 2002 xc rear axle fill location

johnny c
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Does anybody have a picture of the rear axle with the fill plug in view? Just curious. Does anybody else with an xc feel the a/c compressor cycle on and off while they are driving? is this normal with these cars??

Aviator
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Does anybody else with an xc feel the a/c compressor cycle on and off while they are driving? is this normal with these cars??

Yes, you will notice the compressor cycling as you drive.....normal condition, depending on speed. Usually not noticeable at highway speeds though, but car will feel a tad bit lethargic......normal. You have to remember that the AC compressor cutting in immediately robs about 10% of your horsepower each time.

Dave.

johnny c
07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
I've never felt it so pronounced as in this car, My other vehicles you wouldn't even hardly know the air was on, just something I've noticed with this car, anything over 120km and you don't feel it, but certainly at any speed under.

jmoser
07-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Does anybody have a picture of the rear axle with the fill plug in view?

No pix but you get at the fill plug from the front, very close to the drive shaft. Almost impossible to fill cleanly without spilling a bunch as it runs down the front of the case. Tight quarters for the lube bottle. If I remember correctly it is just above the shaft and I went in from the driver's side [US] I did not drain - just topped off with Mobil 1 75W-90.

Heidster
07-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Rear Differential: Requires the use of an oil pump. I put the car onto ramps to allow easier access. The rear differential only has a fill plug, it is located on the rear side of the differential and can be viewed from the area around the muffler. Remove it, insert the small hose of your oil pump (make sure it is clean) and start pumping. Once you are done, pump a few squirts of fresh oil through the pump and into the waste oil container (to clear out the old fluid in the hoses of your oil pump, and ensure only fresh fluid will be used to fill the rear diff). Then pump the new fluid into the rear diff until it begins to seap out of the fill plug. Install the plug. Capacity is ~.7L.

wgriswold
07-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Can this fluid change be done satisfactorily with the rear end elevated with ramps and the front wheels on the ground? I don't know if the level of oil is critical and must be adjusted with the car level?

johnny c
07-18-2008, 12:19 PM
One of you says front and one says rear, I'll find out sooner or later

johnny c
07-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, the fill hole is on the front side of the diff, and it was a simple change with a mighty-vac.