PDA

View Full Version : wheel removal

skibo
07-08-2008, 01:24 PM
OK, this is a really basic issue - hardly worthy of this forum, I know, but, I attempted to replace my rear brake pads this afternoon, and with the right rear wheel off the ground and the 5 lugs out, I could not get the wheel off the hub. It spun freely, but even after several good wacks on the inside lip with a sledge and wood block, I could not break it free.

Any thoughts? Don't want to damage the aluminum wheel.

KCsXC
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
I have had a few stuck wheels on my 2002 V70XC however usually a few good kicks they break free. It is only corrosion holding it on so you might want to try removing the plastic Volvo center cap on the rim and spray some liquid penetrant inside where the wheel surface is against the rotor then kick and repeat if necessary. You may also want on hand some brake cleaner because the liquid pen makes a mess of your rotors but they have to come off.

Good luck.

BillAileo
07-08-2008, 05:06 PM
The last time I had that problem I took a relatively short piece of two by four maybe 10 inches long and placed the end grain of it against the lip of the wheel and hit the other end with a heavy mallet. I rotated the wheel about a half turn between whacks and it finally sprung free. Had to do it to both wheels. To prevent a repeat I now lightly coat the mating surfaces with anti-seize compound when putting the wheels back on.

gibbons
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
What Bill says x2. Anti-seize is preventative medicine.

Forkster
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
The last time I had that problem I took a relatively short piece of two by four maybe 10 inches long and placed the end grain of it against the lip of the wheel and hit the other end with a heavy mallet. I rotated the wheel about a half turn between whacks and it finally sprung free. Had to do it to both wheels. To prevent a repeat I now lightly coat the mating surfaces with anti-seize compound when putting the wheels back on.
[thumbup]

Heidster
07-10-2008, 05:53 AM
OK, this is a really basic issue - hardly worthy of this forum, I know, but, I attempted to replace my rear brake pads this afternoon, and with the right rear wheel off the ground and the 5 lugs out, I could not get the wheel off the hub. It spun freely, but even after several good wacks on the inside lip with a sledge and wood block, I could not break it free.

Any thoughts? Don't want to damage the aluminum wheel.

Try backing out the lugs a bit and dropping the car back onto the offending wheel.

billr99
07-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Try backing out the lugs a bit and dropping the car back onto the offending wheel.

.......And if the offending wheel still does not break loose; with the lugs still backed off, put the car in gear and move it a couple of feet. That should do it at that point.

As a reinforcement of note, if you have to do the above you should remove all the wheels and put a bit of anti-seize on all the hubs to prevent this kind of seizure from re-occurring. In all my years and with all my cars, I have only had to do this procedure once and I was living by the sea that time with its corrosive environment.

Cheers,

Bill

Forkster
07-10-2008, 07:45 AM
For future reference, if you put a new rotor on, spray the centre hub with BBQ or engine spraypaint. That will prevent a) rusting, and b) seizing onto the wheel. My rotor's haven't stuck in 10 years. :)

JRL
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
For future reference, if you put a new rotor on, spray the centre hub with BBQ or engine spraypaint. That will prevent a) rusting, and b) seizing onto the wheel. My rotor's haven't stuck in 10 years. :)

Anti sieze is a better idea

Aviator
07-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Anti sieze is a better idea

It's seize....not sieze.:D

Dave.

skibo
07-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks all. We'll see what happens.

TheDarkKnightt
07-14-2008, 07:08 AM
For future reference, if you put a new rotor on, spray the centre hub with BBQ...

Pork or Beef BBQ?!?!
I think the mustard based sauces would be more corrosion resistant.
The tomato based sauces could possibly corrode the wheel! :D

In all seriousness, I did coat the lip on my rear wheels with anti-seize.
+1 on that!