PDA

View Full Version : 2002 v70xc viscous coupler

johnny c
07-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I have looked throughout this forum and I wasn't quite able to find out if there was "preventative maintenance" on a viscous coupling. Is this located in the transmission of the vehicle? Changing any of the fluids help??? Just want to know if there is anything I can do to prevent a failure. I've got 154000 km on mine with no major issues. The previous owner had it Volvo serviced regularly. Thanks again for the info, I'm new with volvos so hopefully I can be more of a help once I learn my way around them.[happy]

JRL
07-05-2008, 02:48 PM
It's right in front of the rear end and not servicable.
Most last the life of the car, (unfortunately some do not):(

gary
07-05-2008, 02:53 PM
The best thing, I think, you can do in terms of preventative maintenance is to ensure that all of your tires wear evenly and that they are inflated to within the proper tire pressure ranges. Also, if you need to replace tires, I've heard you SHOULD replace all four with the same tires. I don't think it is good to mix tires. Again, I don't have VC system, I have Haldex, so I'm only recanting what I've read about on this forum.

TrueBlue
07-06-2008, 02:13 AM
There were major issues with earlier models, but by 2002 the coupling had been dumbed down so much that in effect if didn't work so well.

That said, if you follow the recommendations in the owner handbook (can you still download a copy from Volvo), i.e. keep the tyres to the same diameter all round, you should be OK.