PDA

View Full Version : Recent mpg data

wgriswold
06-30-2008, 10:46 AM
On a recent trip to southern Calif. I filled up three times and got 28.5, 28.4, and 35 mpg. These numbers are from the DIC computer but were checked by hand and the two calcs agreed within about 5% with the hand calcs being lower. The 35 mpg figure was from a mountain community in the eastern Sierras at about 6500 feet to Carson City Nevada at about 3500 feet. The high mpg must have been from going downhill 3000 feet overall.

It is hard to understand why some people get in the low twenties and even some below twenty. I used to attribute it to differences in driver behavior but the numbers above were at mostly 70-75 mph with the cruise control on, so my particular driving style was not much in play. I wonder if there are differences from one model year to another that would explain the differences?

BillAileo
06-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Stop signs and stop lights wreck havoc with mpg. I generally get mpg similar to what you've posted (except for the 35 figure) but my figures drop significantly when I have to go into the District of Columbia or other urban settings for any length of time.

funglenn
06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
why the heck would my 01 only get about 18 mpg? I feel like we truly need to step on the gas for the thing to move...it has 71K miles and has always been dealer serviced!!!! Plugs and filter were done at 60k per the manual. trans was also flushed at like 50 or so.

any thoughts?

wgriswold
06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
18 mpg is a mystery to me. On the trip I averaged 55 mph or so. Around my home I average about 34 and still get 25-27 mpg depending on I don't know what.

TheDarkKnightt
06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I bought my 05 XC over a week ago, and have logged nearly 2K miles on it in trips... What a way to break it in, eh? :p

Anyway, on the trips here in Georgia and Florida, so for I'm averaging anywhere from 24-30 MPG's- depending on whether I'm in city or Interstate driving.

My worst MPG average was about 22.5 driving at 80MPH on I-75 going north- which was over a 200 miles stretch non-stop.

The best I had was 30.6 at 70mph- and that was trailing a big rig over the same distance south- at night with no A/C on.

From watching it, the A/C deducts about 2-3 MPG. I always knew the A/C took quite a bit to run...but for business, you can't live without it! (Who wants to do business with a stinky or sweaty person?)

luvmy2chis
07-01-2008, 04:26 AM
I consistently get 20.1-20.2 mpg in Northern VA Suburbs. I definately see the stop lights but regularly get the car to over 60 on some stretches. However, if my DH drives the car wil drop down to as low as 16.7mpg. On the highway I don't think I've ever seen about 27mpg. However, my 2001 I believe is coming due for a transmission, turbochargers, as well as I know it needs some front end work and the 105,000 service is coming up soon. I've got 99000 miles on it, so I guess it is time. It's just breaking the bank ever since I got it, but soon it's going to be a brand new car again with all the parts that need replacing.:D

TheDarkKnightt
07-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Oh, and ethanol 10% blended gasoline will deduct 2-3 MPG off of your average also.
I've noticed this and do my best to stay away from the stations that have it blended.

littlewaywelt
07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
On a recent trip to southern Calif. I filled up three times and got 28.5, 28.4, and 35 mpg. These numbers are from the DIC computer but were checked by hand and the two calcs agreed within about 5% with the hand calcs being lower. The 35 mpg figure was from a mountain community in the eastern Sierras at about 6500 feet to Carson City Nevada at about 3500 feet. The high mpg must have been from going downhill 3000 feet overall.

It is hard to understand why some people get in the low twenties and even some below twenty. I used to attribute it to differences in driver behavior but the numbers above were at mostly 70-75 mph with the cruise control on, so my particular driving style was not much in play. I wonder if there are differences from one model year to another that would explain the differences?

On a recent trip to capecod, I got 21 mpg in our 05 xc70.
We had 2 bikes on the roof, 2 adults, 2 kids and probably 200 lbs in luggage.
I use an incredibly light foot and rarely hit the turbo. I border on hypermilling. We averaged ~55mph for the trip up with some traffic, but mostly on the highway we were cruising at 65-70mph. I run normal unleaded gas at 87 octane and mobil 1 oil.

I frankly don't see how ppl can get 28mpg in this car. The only time I can ever do that is at 60mph on the highway with no one else in the car, no roofbox, no weight.

My wife drives it around town with a leadfoot. Our around town mpg is usually 17.

wgriswold
07-01-2008, 05:54 PM
littlewaywelt,

The much lower mileage that you and others that report is what motivated me to start this thread. I would like to understand why we experience such a great difference in mileage. I thought it might be due to most of my driving being done at altitude but the recent numbers are at sea level. I also confirmed the computer numbers by hand calculations. On this trip it was me and my wife and about 100 lbs of luggage. I also use only 87 octane, but it is the California blend and I don't know what that does to the mileage. Usually California considers only emissions when mandating these formulations and mileage suffers.

I understand that the new XC has lower mileage with the V6. That is very disappointing. I hope my 2003 will last until the next generation of cars is developed, probably a plug in hybrid, hopefully a Volvo.

ORGramps
07-01-2008, 09:52 PM
On two recent trips (1-Bend, OR at 3500 feet to San Diego and then again 2-Bend to Oakland returning on the highway 101 through Brookings on the coast and then back over the cascades to Bend our computer averages were just over 28 (trip one) and 27.4 (trip 2). We are retired so just my wife and myself with a hundred lbs. of luggage or so. I find that if I drive under 60 I improve the mileage by a mile or so/gal. On a level road I can get close to 30 at that speed. Increasing speed to California limits (65 and 75) drops our mileage as our trip records show. I am also finding that ethanol lowers my mileage. The effect of the air conditioner is not really noticeable, but I sure it lowers the average. I are just turning over 80,000 miles on our 2004

Forkster
07-02-2008, 07:08 AM
On a recent trip to capecod, I got 21 mpg in our 05 xc70.
We had 2 bikes on the roof, 2 adults, 2 kids and probably 200 lbs in luggage.
llw - anything on the roof can/will reduce your fuel economy 20-40%. Additionally, acceleration style accounts for 30% of your fuel economy. If you had a trailer hitch bike rack - I'd be willing to bet a Starclucks latte that your fuel economy would greatly be improved, especially at sea-level driving. Was the 200lbs in luggage on the top too (top luggage carrier)?

And here's the kicker - if your wife has lead foot, and if she drives it more than you, your car's computers have adjusted the fuel mapping for higher-end performance driving to match her driving style. :eek:

Light acceleration, and bikes in the back. You could see your fuel economy go up. Maybe get your computers reset? (Now, where's that reset procedure? :) )

Heidster
07-02-2008, 08:00 AM
I'll reiterate what I posted on the "Mileage" Thread with a few more comments.

Wife gets ~ 23 MPG ave. mostly shorter running around. Just did a 600 mi round trip from CT to PA and nursed the readout up to a 30.2 MPG average (never reset it and this could be +or- .5 MPG in reality) No real "hyper-mile-ing" techniques were used We just maintained ~65 MPH sometimes a bit lower and sometimes higher. Just used light throttle when accelerating (watching the instantaneous read-out). Lots of rolling hills so I could rarely get a grasp of the instantaneous mileage.

I'm quite pleased with that considering the EPA #'s of 24 Hwy. Oh yeah...the A/C was on 99% of the time. Also we'd vary the use of cruise control. With hills it's better to build up a little more speed going down and avoid throttle and gear-kick-down going up. I think cruise can hurt MPG in this scenario.

I'm guessing the newer XC's have some engine and drive-line advances to get better mileage but the real variable is how often and how far down you press your right foot!

Mechanical notes:
Load: 2 adults, one 4 y/o and one big dog. Light luggage.
Fuel - Premium 93 Oct. (ran some Jectron through a tank or 2 ago)
Oil unknown probably 10w-30 Dino.
Plugs look rather new.
Tires Hankook Optimo's @ 36 psi cold.
Transmission flushed w/Toyota T-IV.
Bevel gears & rear Diff...just changed w/Redline 75w-90
Air filter is clean.

TheDarkKnightt
07-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Does anyone actually think the rear spoiler accessory adds to the gas mileage on longer trips? I really doubt that it can...any proof otherwise?

Omega5
07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Woo good point. I wanted to mention here since we are speaking of spoilers. Ever since i have installed my trailer hitch, my back window has been getting a lot less dirty! i assume that a spoiler would have a similar effect. So if you can judge the coefficient of friction or drag by how much eddies your car produces, then you can expect to have similar effect from your trailer hitch as you would from a spoiler.

does it increase mileage? i don't know.

PGI007
07-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Very interesting to read these comments and experiences. With so many variables it is hard to make direct comparisons but general trends and therefore expectations can be derived.
Since getting my 05 a few months ago I have been doing mostly short distance commuting with A LOT of stops, gentle accelerating and rarely exceeding 2000 rpm . It has averaged 16 l/100km (15 mpg) with this driving and I was getting worried there was something wrong with the car. On a short trip down the highway to gas up recently I reset the monitor and got about 25 mpg. We just did a holiday trip, 300km return, mostly 90 kmh on rolling hills, keeping cruise off because of said hills, a/c on, fully loaded cargo area and got 8.8 l/100 km (27 mpg)! Boy was I glad to see that number. Not the best, but I no longer worry about the car's fuel economy. I just have the most expensive type of daily driving. No doubt if I did more mixed driving I would be in the 21-23 mpg range.

Forkster
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Woo good point. I wanted to mention here since we are speaking of spoilers. Ever since i have installed my trailer hitch, my back window has been getting a lot less dirty! i assume that a spoiler would have a similar effect. So if you can judge the coefficient of friction or drag by how much eddies your car produces, then you can expect to have similar effect from your trailer hitch as you would from a spoiler.

does it increase mileage? i don't know.
Since it adds anywhere from 50-100lbs of weight (depending on the hitch) I would have to say yes. Towing does impact our fuel economy - I get around 12L/100km (19mpg) when towing my tent trailer.

Mind you, my wife's uncle who has a newer Chevy Silverado V8 truck (a $35,000 model), when he tows a 5th-wheel trailer he get 7-9MPG. Without he gets 15-18MPG on the highway in 2WD mode. In 4WD mode, he gets around 7-9MPG highway in the winter.

goldxc70
07-03-2008, 12:35 PM
(snip to)It has averaged 16 l/100km (15 mpg) with this driving and I was getting worried there was something wrong with the car. On a short trip down the highway to gas up recently I reset the monitor and got about 25 mpg. We just did a holiday trip, 300km return, mostly 90 kmh on rolling hills, keeping cruise off because of said hills, a/c on, fully loaded cargo area and got 8.8 l/100 km (27 mpg)! Boy was I glad to see that number. Not the best, but I no longer worry about the car's fuel economy. I just have the most expensive type of daily driving. No doubt if I did more mixed driving I would be in the 21-23 mpg range.

16l/100km is really, really bad. The worst consumption I have ever had in my 04, with short journeys in the city, has been 13l/100km. With changed habits (rolling stops, easy acceleration, anticipated braking, etc.), 11l/100km is relatively easy.

goldxc70
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Does anyone actually think the rear spoiler accessory adds to the gas mileage on longer trips? I really doubt that it can...any proof otherwise?

While I dont believe the spoiler would help at all with fuel consumption, I think a bicycle rack would do some good. Wagons and hatchbacks always have poorer fuel consumption than the sedan versions of the same vehicle (Golf/Rabbit vs. Jetta, Yaris vs. Echo, etc.). The tail of the hatch or wagon causes a mass of rolling disturbed air behind the tailgate rather than the more laminar airflow of the sedan body. In other words, the sedan slips through the air more easily than the wagon or hatchback. Also, hatchbacks are better than wagons for the same reason.

tgwillard
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Finally had a chance to go on an extended trip in the XC70 (2000 miles). Average MPG for the trip was about 31 and this was calculated dividing miles driven by gallons added for each tank. Averaged about 60 mph while on the turnpike and interstate.

PGI007
07-04-2008, 08:42 AM
16l/100km is really, really bad. The worst consumption I have ever had in my 04, with short journeys in the city, has been 13l/100km. With changed habits (rolling stops, easy acceleration, anticipated braking, etc.), 11l/100km is relatively easy.

Hmmm:confused:. As I mentioned, my daily trip is about 7km each way (stopping at the daycare halfway) with lots of stops in between, and on a cold engine for most of it. When I do get the opportunity to drive a longer stretch in town the economy improves remarkably, maybe 9 l/100km. I do drive conservatively, with easy braking and accelerating. Is there something I should be getting checked out? This was bought as a CPO in March, the 48k service was done about a year ago. I plan to have my regular service in the fall, changing to synthetic as well.

starnetman
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
If it helps, I get 37mpg from my XC70 2007 D5 at about 75mph.

I did get it RICA chippped which gave me an extra 10%

David

Forkster
07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
If it helps, I get 37mpg from my XC70 2007 D5 at about 75mph.

I did get it RICA chippped which gave me an extra 10%

DavidIs that UK MPG? If so, that's 30mpg USA. At 75mph... which is fantastic. David - is your a 5 speed or an automatic? (Sigh) Wish they would sell the diesel version over here with a manual transmission... tiptronics suck. :)

sonny67
07-16-2008, 04:43 AM
My 2001 XC gets 26.5MPG on a flat highway @ 72MPH. I take trips from VT. to Ct. frequently. If I set the cruise slower the MPG is better. Around home which is very hilly I get 22-23MPG.

Mink
07-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Great thread! After more than ten months and 30,000 km in my '04, and quite a bit of experimentation with gas mileage, my conclusion is that what we fondly refer to as 'spirited driving' is a VERY expensive pastime in the XC70. This is particularly true around cities, with any stopping and starting pushing average mileage way down. Like others I've often seen sub-20 mpg figures with 'normal' driving.

But the flip-side is that my car handsomely rewards conservative (ie: boring) driving. When I stay out of cities and keep my cruising speed down to ~60 mph I can expect 30 mpg - better if I let the speed fall a little on the uphills. But the curse of the stop sign is so strong that passing through a few urban areas on a journey brings overall economy down to 27-28.

From the gas-mileage poll and many other posts on this forum, my sense is that driving style is overwhelmingly the key factor in gas mileage - and that anything else is almost irrelevant. What would be really interesting is to put a car which has given its owner bad mileage into the hands of our OP, Wait Griswold, who gets good figures. I feel sure it's the man, much more than the machine, that decides fuel consumption.

I've enjoyed driving the XC70 so much since I bought it that our second car has seen very little use, but in future I'm going to keep the Volvo for what it does best - longer trips and bigger loads - without trying any more hyper-miling (too frustrating!) while we use our '97 Honda Civic 1.5 around town.

TiredGeek
07-16-2008, 07:32 AM
Another 2007 D5 here, this time a manual 6 speeder.

On a recent trip of 500 miles doing roughly 90mph on cruise (averaged speed was 74mph according to computer) the thing got 40.1 UK mpg. That was loaded with luggage for two on holiday, nothing on the roof.

The best I've seen was 48.6 while trundling around at 40 - 60 mph looking at the scenery in northern Scotland.

We get roughly 34 on the daily commute in stop-start traffic and the run is about 6 miles each way.

Never heard of RICA, I'm gonna have to Google that.........

Mink
07-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Another 2007 D5 here, this time a manual 6 speeder. On a recent trip of 500 miles doing roughly 90mph on cruise (averaged speed was 74mph according to computer) the thing got 40.1 UK mpg. That was loaded with luggage for two on holiday, nothing on the roof. The best I've seen was 48.6 while trundling around at 40 - 60 mph looking at the scenery in northern Scotland. We get roughly 34 on the daily commute in stop-start traffic and the run is about 6 miles each way.

So... in American money... 33.4 mpg for high speed cruising, 40.5 tooling around Scotland, 28 for the daily commute. Isn't there a separate forum for oil-burners, so you don't have to come in here and upset the petrol-heads? [mad2]

Forkster
07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
So... in American money... 33.4 mpg for high speed cruising, 40.5 tooling around Scotland, 28 for the daily commute. Isn't there a separate forum for oil-burners, so you don't have to come in here and upset the petrol-heads? [mad2]
LOL. Even better - they get a Manual Transmission option over there too...
[cussing]

acuhealth
07-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I recently purchased a Black 2005 XC70. I have been very happy with the car so far. I average 22-23 MPG in mixed driving. The stop lights and stop signs do kill the mileage. I average 25-26 on the highway. My best tank was a drive from Winter Park CO back to denver, I showed 29.5 for the last part of the drive and avg 27 MPG. I was hammering it up Berthoud pass and saw it drop to 14 MPG

JD

brick8
07-23-2008, 02:19 PM
LOL. Even better - they get a Manual Transmission option over there too...
[cussing]

Just got back from a trip to France. I was pissed to see that Volvo and various other makes sell diesels with 5 speeds over there while they will only sell crappy over-sized gas motors with slushboxes in the States. Why?

Forkster
07-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Just got back from a trip to France. I was pissed to see that Volvo and various other makes sell diesels with 5 speeds over there while they will only sell crappy over-sized gas motors with slushboxes in the States. Why?

Because that is the big-three's mentality - not European. You could at one time get most Volvo's in North America in 5 speed up until Ford took them over. Then all of a sudden, the XC70 in North America comes out without a 5 speed option.
[cussing]

Then the XC90 comes out - again, no MT.
[cussing]

It's that closed-minded thinking that got the big-three into this mess in the first place becuase all the did was build beautiful looking cars, not reliable vehicles. Which as you all know is why they're in trouble.

Maybe as us Gen-X'ers and other younger folks get into the management of these companies, we'll see more MT options in North America? Dare to dream I suppose.

Curt Door
07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
We returned this week from a 1200 mile round trip to Jackson Hole with two, 16 foot sea kayaks on the roof of our '03 that has 67k on the odometer. Our on board computer said we averaged 57 mph and 24.9 mpg for the trip. I'm quite please as on the interstate portions of the trip I ran a steady 75mph. We typically see 27-28 mpg without the kayaks and rack.

Curt