PDA

View Full Version : How to save on gas...

William
06-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Here's a timely article for motorists from US News & World Report:
"10 Easy Ways to Save Over a Grand on Gas"

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/10-Easy-Ways-to-Save-a-Grand-on-Gas/

And note...

the author drives a Volvo!!!

William

JRL
07-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Hypermileing is very interesting if you're a VERY good driver and have a feel for the automobile...
(most people do not).
I've been starting to do it in a very limited fashion, neutral down hills, etc.
Shutting it off at a long traffic light.
None of this in heavy traffic, (at least not yet)!

Jake529
07-04-2008, 08:12 AM
I leave the car in the driveway and use my Yamaha Maxim 550 motorcycle. It gets 50 mpg... I look like a dork driving such a small bike. I am 6 feet 2...... But I use a full face helmet so no one sees my face......

Jake

boon4376
09-05-2008, 05:20 PM
You just have to stay within the posted limits upon because the faster you drive, the more fuel you actually consume.

In some cases, its better to go above, such as really long stretched of 25 MPH of 35 MPH, going 10 MPH over the speed limit (the max in my area before cops will give tickets) can save a lot on gas at those speeds. Most cars get their best mileage at 45 - 55 MPH.

Next summer i'll be adding a 250CC Honda rebel to my garage to help cut down on fuel consumption

Ivanfbi
09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
i think that the driving habits are more important than that. When I drive spiritedly i used to get 17mpg average in my volvo 850 Plt ed, when i drove calmly, with no sudden accelerations and speedings, and keeping rpms low, i got all the way up to 22 average.

when fueling, the slower you fuel, the more gas you get. Caused by bubbles building up in the pump. Best time to fuel is early morning or late night, when it's coldest outside, the gas compresses, so you get more gas for same money. Never fuel when oil tanker is filling up the station.

In Volvos, and other cars, designed to work on high octane gas, fueling with cheap 87 octane does not save you money, you get far worse gas mileage, and the engine gets dirty faster, so in long run you are financially hurting yourself for saving 5-6 dollars at gas station.

Fuel about to half a tank, not full tank, unless you have to, because you have to carry all that extra fuel in your tank all the time, half a tank is enough if you just daily driving.

there are tons of ways to save some money on gas, and they are all pretty much logical.

Also, isn't it safer to save money on other stuff, like coffee?

goldxc70
09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
In Volvos, and other cars, designed to work on high octane gas, fueling with cheap 87 octane does not save you money, you get far worse gas mileage, and the engine gets dirty faster, so in long run you are financially hurting yourself for saving 5-6 dollars at gas station.

This is not my experience. When I first got my XC70, I tried all types of gas over a number of tankfuls and documented all my results. Bottom line, for mixed city/highway driving, there was absolutely no difference between different grades of gas.

BillAileo
09-30-2009, 12:47 PM
This is not my experience. When I first got my XC70, I tried all types of gas over a number of tankfuls and documented all my results. Bottom line, for mixed city/highway driving, there was absolutely no difference between different grades of gas.

I completely agree.

mrslomo
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
My husband and I just returned from a 2,324-mile road trip from San Francisco to Vancouver, BC (YES! The Winter Olympics festivities was our main destination!). We also included side trips to Victoria, BC and Mount St. Helens, WA. On the return trip, driving down the Oregon and California coast added to the ever changing driving conditions. Our two dogs as well as a loaded Yakima carrier were also added weight.

By trying to not push past 2000 rpm but rarely, our 1999 v70XC consumed fuel at the rate of 24.95 mpg for the entire trip. This also meant driving uphill in the truck lanes instead of tearing up the mountains like some SUVs. Ughhh... they must get 8-mpg going uphill.

vova
03-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I agree with the article..But another fact here-we all new what we were getting ourselves into.we saw the mpg ratings and safety ratings ,and decided to choose safety and comfort over the ecologically friendly Fiestas and TDI..On this forum i met plenty of people whose lives were saved by VOLVO.And as one of those few i would say-I agree to pay for gas a little more than others![thumbup]

Jbjs40
09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
I always get good gas mileage from my vehicles. I have never had to push them to go faster. I let the engine pull at the rate it wants to. You must drive the vehicle a lot to find the sweet spots. I drove a VW Golf 2002 and I got the same fuel mileage as some of my friends who drove Diesel engined golfs. 35-45MPG daily, consistently, and even got 52MPG driving cross country through Oklahoma once on a stretch with a tail wind! I drive a Volvo S40 now, 2002 model and I have gotten 42 MPG on a trip to Florida. Now I tested the different grades of gas theory and guess what anyone who says that gas grades do not make a difference is driving way too hard. Premium Fuel always gets me great results. I am willing to pay the little extra because you get out what you put in. I have used even mid grade and got this result; 23-33 MPG same car same roads. No thanks, I would rather use premium with these results; 32-42 MPG and cleaner fuel lines and less clogged fuel filters and lubricated fuel injectors and overall fuel system conditioning. The trick is to use only ONE source like Shell. Do not mix from one station from the other like one day using Shell gas and then at the end of the week using Texaco. They DO use different additives in their fuels.