PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Portable Nav System

nwxc70
06-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Anyone checked out one of these? I'm wondering if I can just buy the install kit without the Nuvi 760 and install my own 700 series (or 800 for that matter, same case) Garmin Nuvi? Local dealer says they do have just the install kit for around $85.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/Documents/PDF/Portable%20Navigation-Consumer%20(3).pdf

Anyone know if I'm sacrificing anything if I buy just the install kit and use my own independently purchased Nuvi?

Thanks!

JRL
06-24-2008, 02:43 PM
If you read that link you posted, at the bottom right......
"

" The Volvo holder included with the unit only fits the
Garmin nüvi 760."

Crazy Harry
06-25-2008, 04:29 AM
All the Garmin 700 series units have the same basic dimensions. Therefore they may fit the "760 only bracket" Volvo is offering. The 800 series dimensions are a little different, 0.1" greater in Width, Height and Depth. A test fit would probably be the only way to tell for sure!

Harold.

JRL
06-25-2008, 04:48 AM
I will let you know.
I just bought a Garmin 350 and will take it to the dealer later today

Crazy Harry
06-25-2008, 04:57 AM
The 350 is significantly different than the 760 in dimensions. I'm betting the Volvo bracket will only accept 700 series units. The 760 was probably a package that Garmin and Volvo negotiated for promotion!

Harold.

nwxc70
06-25-2008, 05:33 AM
Thanks guys. I didn't notice the note on the bottom right of the second page that says it only fits the 760. I was at Circuit City yesterday checking them out and they didn't even have the 760 in stock, just a 750 and a 780. An inspection of the literature for all the 700 series at Garmin's website indicates they are all identical except for a few minor features, which I don't really need.

Also wondering if anyone had installed themselves for verification that the install kit merely provides power to the unit and isn't integrated with the stereo. I'll head to the dealer myself and check it out and report back. Let me know what you find out, too, JRL!

Be safe...

JRL
06-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Forget it (probably)
You are going to have to bring whatever unit you have to a dealer and see if it fits.
The pins on the back are a totally different size on mine (350) so they may be correct in saying that only the 760 will work with this adaptor
Possibly all the 7 series will work but again, you will have to try it to see if it actually can plug in,
(Sorry, I tried)!

Art
06-25-2008, 08:45 AM
Anyone checked out one of these? I'm wondering if I can just buy the install kit without the Nuvi 760 and install my own 700 series (or 800 for that matter, same case) Garmin Nuvi? Local dealer says they do have just the install kit for around $85.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/Documents/PDF/Portable%20Navigation-Consumer%20(3).pdf

Anyone know if I'm sacrificing anything if I buy just the install kit and use my own independently purchased Nuvi?

Thanks!

Just make sure that your dealer will sell you the bracket separate from the base kit. The dealer up here will only sell the base kit (Nuvi and bracket) as a package, separate from the install kit (mounting hardware/wire harness). I believe that some dealers are willing to split the base kit and sell the bracket as a stand-alone item. More details here. (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=99997)

I've opted to install my Nuvi 760 on a custom fit foam mount which get inserted into dashboard cubby beside the HU.

pdk
06-25-2008, 01:58 PM
I have the 750 and was looking at it and the 760 before I got the 750, they are the exactly the same only the 760 comes with bluetooth, I didn't think the extra $$$ was worth the bluetooth... So my point is this probably will work with it. I recently got a mount that goes into the vents and I'm pretty happy with it...if you look at the specs, all of the 700 series are the exact same dimensions

Crazy Harry
06-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I think these may be the correct installation instructions:

http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/Details.aspx?uid=df491f84-da74-45b7-bbc0-6bb51525e422

Open the pdf file. I was going to paste it in this message but the file size is over the limit.

If these are the correct instructions the install kit only provides power to the Nuvi 760, no connection to the radio. The Nuvi's internal speaker is used for the instructions and the bluetooth interface. The Nuvi 760 also has an FM Transmitter so it's audio info can be sent to your radio (or anyone elses close enough and set to the correct frequency) if you want to use the car speakers.

I've seen many caution notes and bad news stories on this forum about installing things that require battery disconnection, radio removal and environment panel removal.

Hope this helps,

Harold.

JRL
06-25-2008, 04:39 PM
I was told at the dealer that it utilizes the car's speakers
(Maybe they lied to me)

dcandmc
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I was told at the dealer that it utilizes the car's speakers
(Maybe they lied to me)

I think that they lied to you. I read through the installation instructions, and there is no connection that is made between the GPS unit and the radio/speakers.

pdk
06-25-2008, 07:37 PM
All of the 700 series have the option to "transmit" to an FM station (limited to the number) just like most of the XM or Sirus raidos. I'm not sure if this actually interfaces with the radio with the "supplied" cables or not. But here is a quick compare of the 700 series.

Garmin 700 Compare (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=134&compare=compare&compareProduct=10625&compareProduct=10624&compareProduct=10623&compareProduct=13479)

Crazy Harry
06-25-2008, 07:44 PM
The Nuvi 760 also has an FM Transmitter so it's audio info can be sent to your radio (or anyone elses close enough and set to the correct frequency) if you want to use the car speakers.

If you buy the complete package with the Nuvi 760 then it will play through the car speakers, via the FM Transmitter, so the dealer isn't really lying;)

The Nuvi 700 series units have an SD card slot and an MP3 player, so I guess you can store music and play it through the system as well. Quality???

Harold.

R & K
06-26-2008, 08:20 AM
They just sold me the plastic that clips onto the body
Rich

nwxc70
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
R&K,
So you were able to just buy the "clip"? Did you also buy the "kit" whichs includes the wires for supply of power to the unit or are you just using a standard external connection to the 12V oulet (cig lighter)?

Would you care to share the cost of the "clip" and the part number?

Thanks!