PDA

View Full Version : RPM Sensor Fault - Poor Hot Starting

mercerwi
06-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I just recently aquired a beautiful '02 Ocean Race Edition. I have been eyeing this special edition since it came out - the right vehicle at the right price finially crossed my path.

I have found that it has a hot start issue. Its almost like vapor lock of old. I took it into the dealer to have it checked over and the service indicator reset (60K miles) and had this looked at. The code they traced is for an RPM sensor fault. Step one was to retorque the bolts between the transmission and the engine. This helped for a short time. They informed that step #2 if not corrected would be to drop the transmission and clean and/or resurface the mating surface between the engine and tranny. Not cheap I'm sure... Anyone had this condition and/or have a suggestion other than what is proposed above?

Also, the steering rack is leaking slightly. They quoted $2300 to replace. I will look elsewhere but I am not in a hurry. I am shocked to hear this on a low mileage vehicle. I didn't spend this much TOTAL on my 740 turbo over the mileage I owned it - 115K - 270K!

Thanks for any comments.

Chicho
06-23-2008, 09:37 PM
WTF!!

You have a fault at the RPM sensor and they suggest tightening the bolts at the bell-housing? That’s almost comical!!

Drop the box! Yeah why not..they wont be paying!

Remove the second bolt from the rear wheel that might also work.

Seems more like a airflow meter problem to me.

Aviator
06-24-2008, 03:12 PM
You have a code for RPM sensor/crank angle sensor........it most likely is the sensor itself (or connection problem). They can and do act up when it's hot and it's only a Hall effect sensor so it can crap anytime. As far as seperating the engine and trans ?......that's a crock of feces if I ever heard one !!! If you had an AMM problem, your car would be doing all sorts of other funky things !!

Dave.