PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: K&N for 2007 D5

TiredGeek
06-22-2008, 09:52 AM
OK, I wanna change the filter element for one a bit more free flowing, and it'll probably give the engine a nice sound as well. Problem is, my car is different to the ones listed by K&N. I got the one they say fits, and it's nothing like.
My filter part number is 30636833 and is almost the same size as K&N 33-2400 which they say is the 3.2 XC90, and according to my measuring, it might fit, but at £60 ($100~) I don't want to take the risk.

Do any of you Volvo gods have the chance to compare the filter from mine (30636833) with the stock filter from the 3.2 XC90 (30680290).......if they are the same then I'm good to go :)

Thanks in advance :)

PDXXC
06-23-2008, 06:30 AM
After you have run the K&N for a few weeks remove it and swipe your finger on the inside of the intake manifold. You'll find a lot of very fine particulates-they are the penalty for the free flowing K&N. I ran them on my motorcycles and cars for a long time and noticed lot of crap and the sand blasting effect on the turbo and intakes.
Not trying to rain on your parade-just letting you know that there's a downside to them.

TiredGeek
06-23-2008, 07:30 AM
So in other words, they don't filter as well as standard paper filters?
Hmmmmm, maybe not the way to go on my expensive diesel engine........

I have run them in the past on various cars and never noticed this, but then I wasn't looking for it either ;)

billr99
06-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I've run K&Ns on any number of my cars (some of which I have put major miles on) and have not encountered any negative effects. These include turbos, turbo-diesels and a V-8 Range Rover. The comment about crud in the intake tract is also true of standard OEM filters if you check the pipes after the point where the various crankcase ventilation tubes, etc. enter the tract so I question the comparison. However with that said, I cannot say that on petrol engines I have seen a huge performance benefit even with a turbo. With the turbo-diesels (VWs) there was an impressive difference.

My motivation for using K&Ns was the maintenance interval. We have a lot of sand on the roads up here and I find that air filters clog way before the change cycle indicates. Also local availability of filters is dicey and at a high cost. So the K&Ns were a cost-effective option to allow me the ability to run a vehicle at a good unchoked performance level. If I lived in the civilized world, not sure I'd bother.

Cheers,

Bill

TiredGeek
06-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Billr99, that makes me happier to use one, if I can get one that fits ;)

I would love to live in northern Ontario, love the scenery in Canada, and all the people I have met when on hols in Toronto were great. Family ties me to the UK tho... :(

billr99
06-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey TiredGeek (I was one of those until just 3 months ago!), funny that, I would like to live in the UK, preferably Scotland or Wales. In fact, our house is up for sale and we are planning on getting out and moving back to Nova Scotia, but we could keep on going and head your way. Want to trade? :D

Cheers,

Bill

Forkster
06-23-2008, 01:01 PM
My sole purpose of a K&N is the fact that its a cleanable filter. Recharge kit does 2-3 + cleanings and it costs around $15 - the filter is designed to last a long time. Nothing to throw out but some soapy water which is in my opinion, a green solution. I haven't noticed any major power gains or fuel economy changes.

I think for large engines, there could be some benefits, but for our small 2.5L engines there isn't much.