PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter removal and some other questions

Rexx
06-20-2008, 09:23 PM
I just got my 99 XC a few weeks ago and have been lurking around these forums ever since. It's got 143k on it at the moment and it's already gone about 2k with me in under a month (not sure where all of that went!). I'm going to be honest that I've read some things that have really turned me off of this car and I will probably be looking to sell or trade it in for fear that I won't be able to afford a repair. I'm sure I can break even at the very least. But I've got it for now and I really enjoy driving it (especially for an automatic) so I want to give it a little tune up while it's mine and I've got a few questions to ask:

Do I really need to spend $20 on a tool to get my oil filter out? If it's necessary I'll probably just get it done at a shop for convenience, especially if I need to order online, as I wanted to do it tomorrow before driving a few hours around. Do the major chain stores (Autozone, etc.) sell the tool?

Spark Plugs. I've heard good and bad things about straying from the OEM plugs, which don't come very cheap. I know this is still a debate out there but what plugs have people had good luck with that I can get a bit cheaper? I already have the torx bit to get the cover off but I'm clueless as to whats under there. I've searched and found instructions before so I can just do that again.

I think I'm going to change the fuel filter too. Once again I don't know how common it is to find these in the usual stores, why do I get the feeling that everything is hard to find?

I already replaced the air filter, after visiting three stores to find it, and I ran some fuel injector cleaner through the last tank of gas I used.

Are there any other simple tasks I can do for this tuneup? Thanks for the help everyone.

PaperToast
06-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Do I really need to spend $20 on a tool to get my oil filter out? If it's necessary I'll probably just get it done at a shop for convenience, especially if I need to order online, as I wanted to do it tomorrow before driving a few hours around. Do the major chain stores (Autozone, etc.) sell the tool?.

You might have to if you cant get it off by hand. Your filter is a cartridge type and you need a special filter found here
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S70V70-1998-2000/Filters-&-Tune-Up/Oil-Filters/p-128-367-390/

Spark Plugs. I've heard good and bad things about straying from the OEM plugs, which don't come very cheap. I know this is still a debate out there but what plugs have people had good luck with that I can get a bit cheaper? I already have the torx bit to get the cover off but I'm clueless as to whats under there. I've searched and found instructions before so I can just do that again..

For those I used NGK Iridium plugs. I've been running those for about 30,000 miles +/- and have had no issues. If anything i get a little more umph out of it. Check ebay for plugs.

While your at it replace the spark plug wires, cap, and rotor if not done already. those will fail eventually and the car will run like crap.

this stuff can be found here http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Engine/Filters-&-Tune-Up/Ignition-Tune-Up-Parts/c-1-72-153-167-242/
might also try napa for those

I think I'm going to change the fuel filter too. Once again I don't know how common it is to find these in the usual stores, why do I get the feeling that everything is hard to find?

That is an easy one. go to napa. its a bosch filter and it cost about $17

Hope this helps[thumbup]

Rexx
06-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the help! It's kind of annoying that I'm going to have to order tings online and wait for them to come in but I guess thats just how it is. For the oil filter, I don't want to drain the oil and find out I can't get the filter off by hand afterwards. Also, I don't know if I should expect a local shop to have the filter/tool and am sure a dealership is going to be way overpriced for an oil change!

As for the plugs, the gap is .03, right? I'll have a look at the manual. I was going to do the wires and distributor but being a 99, it has ignition coils, which I know nothing about.

I'm going to shop around ebay and see what I can find and pick up whatever I can at the NAPA.

PaperToast
06-21-2008, 09:16 AM
I hear ya with the oild filter removal. maybe someone else on the forum in your area knows of an indie shop that could do it.
also check here. its a list of volvo shops around the us
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?showforum=33

as regards the plug gap, i think in most cases its pre set, at least mine were, but im not sure what the exact measurement is.

try searching here and on VS http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php? (http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php)? lots of info and knowledgable folks

JRL
06-21-2008, 11:45 AM
While your at it replace the spark plug wires, cap, and rotor if not done already. those will fail eventually and the car will run like crap.

Umm, he has a 99, no wires, no cap and rotor
All he needs is plugs if his coils are OK
Fuel filter is VERY Volvo specific
I would stick with OEM plugs with a stock XC with those miles

Rexx
06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Umm, he has a 99, no wires, no cap and rotor
All he needs is plugs if his coils are OK
Fuel filter is VERY Volvo specific
I would stick with OEM plugs with a stock XC with those miles

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I know some plugs can be an upgrade, but the OEMs have got to be a safe bet. And if I've got to order a bunch of stuff online I might as well get those somewhere too.

As for the filter removal, I found an ebay store selling all kinds of those tools for different cars and he just happens to be located about 10 minutes from me! It's only $10 so that seams to be the way to go there. I'm going to get on ordering the rest of the stuff and I'll give it a little tuneup next weekend probably.

PaperToast
06-21-2008, 10:50 PM
sorry my bad about the no rotor, cap thing i forgot 99+ didnt have those
he is right about that fact
will try to remember next time [cool2]

mrscullini
06-23-2008, 01:25 PM
just go to autozone. they will have everything you need. use the clamp style oil filter wrench to remove the housing.

get the el cheapo bosch plug. try plats if you want but people complain about misfires.

db130
06-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Spend the extra $ for the correct oil filter tool made by Assenmacher:

http://www.nationalonlinetools.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=28240

instarx
07-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes, get the oil filter tool. I tried every tool, wrench and widget I and my neighbor had between us and couldn't get my filter off without one.

I tried Bosch platinum plugs and the car would barely run. The Volvo plugs are worth it.

Remember, the people who post on these boards are by definition the ones who are having problems. Given the number of older Volvos I see driving around they can't be that unreliable!

mosearch
04-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Funny the Bosch Platinum didn't work for you...I am running the Bosch Platinum FR7DP, #4228 which Groton FCP sells specifically for the 2000 V70XC...$3.00 each...runs like a top. They also have the OEM which say "volvo" on them...but unless and until I have a problem with the Platinum, I'm liking the price.

instarx
04-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Funny the Bosch Platinum didn't work for you...I am running the Bosch Platinum FR7DP, #4228 which Groton FCP sells specifically for the 2000 V70XC...$3.00 each...runs like a top. They also have the OEM which say "volvo" on them...but unless and until I have a problem with the Platinum, I'm liking the price.
I'm glad they are working for you, but I did not have that experience. There must be different types of Bosch Platinums. Mine were the dual electrode type that were recommended by Autozone's computer. There was nothing subtle about how badly the car ran with them and I took them out immediately. I'm not the kind of person who believes I need the best and most expensive of everything for the car (which is why I tried the Platinums in the first place) but for me, I'm back to OEM.

mosearch
04-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Different version I guess...these are single prong.

But I agree, whatever works for whatever price is better than what does not...:)