PDA

View Full Version : New radio headunit with bluetooth installation questions

brick8
06-18-2008, 12:25 PM
I am looking to add bluetooth capability to my wife's 2002 XC70 wagon. Has anyone here replaced the headunit on a 2002 model with one of the Crutchfield units with their install kit? If so, was it plug and play or is it necessary to macgyver the harness?

Just went through this process installing a Dual brand headunit (HD radio and bluetooth) in my 1996 saab and I had to remove the passenger seat in order to splice/bypass the factory amp.

The other possibility that I am considering is the parrot bluetooth minikit, which would leave the factory headunity (and steering wheel controls) in place.

I am on a tight budget and would like to do this for under $200. Thanks!

funglenn
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I would go with the volvo one, no cutting required, and goes right through your speakers it is a rebranded motorola (I have one in my S60). I also installed a parrot evolution in my wife's car (XC70). It also goes over the speakers and has two small buttons on the dash, they both look pretty factory. There are also cable harnesses made for your XC70 to connect to parrot with no cutting. They work like factory units, muting the radio so the call can come in, and then resuming the sound.

I would not bother with a new headunit, leave the stock one. However I caution you the pre 2005 V70s, S60s are horrible to get into ! The CCM (Climate Control unit) is a pain to remove. I will never ever ever go back into that dash!

brick8
06-19-2008, 07:32 AM
We are less than satisfied with the stock headunit, so I may opt for the changeover. I don't understand why Volvo deleted normal tuning controls and pushbuttons. Also, it would be nice to have an auxiliary input and a cd player that can handle mp3s. The sound is fine, but the interface is terrible.

ocpc
06-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I replaced the stock radio in a 2002 v70xc as soon as I purchased the vehicle. Crutchfield can be expensive, but when they have a good sale you can save quite a bit and allot of times supply the wiring and installation kit at no cost. As for bluetooth, I happened to just be looking into it also. I was checking out the Pioneer DEH-P700BT, it has bt built in and also connections for mp3 players. They also offer the DEH-P7000BT, I can only find one difference between the two and the 7000 is about $20 cheaper (you can find both online for a lot cheaper that retail).

brick8
06-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I purchased a blaupunkt hamburg with bluetooth from crutchfield that I am installing now. I am stuck at the point where I have to remove the climate control unit. I pulled out the pen holder and removed the two torx screws at the bottom of the climate control unit but can't get the climate control to come out. Am I missing something?

MoeB
06-28-2008, 08:20 PM
There are two metal spring clips that hold the climate module to the bottom of the stereo unit. There are also two "prong things" (for lack of a better term) on the bottom of the stereo unit that fit into some slots on the top of the CCM. As you have discovered, it's hard to get the CCM off of the clips and prongs. The trick is to pivot the CCM out at the bottom enough to then force it downward enough to get the prongs out of their slots enough to then pull the top of the CCM off of the spring clips.

Kind of hard to describe, but look at this picture and you might see what I'm talking about. This is the bottom of the stereo unit (it's removed from the car here). Just take your time and coordinate your downward/outward pulls and it should eventually turn loose.

http://moebdick.home.comcast.net/DSCN0043.JPG

I got a little angry at mine when I took it out the first time and may have bent the spring clips and/or the pop rivet that holds them on. Now the face of the CCM isn't perfectly aligned with the face of the stereo, but at least it comes out real easy now. :o

brick8
06-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks, got it! The new unit went in fairly easily and sounds much better than the OEM one it replaced.

ocpc
07-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Don't forget to disconnect the battery before messing with any electrical. I forgot and almost fried the computer. Had to take it to my Volvo shop to have them reset everything. I think they said that there were like 36 error messages.