PDA

View Full Version : steering issues after accident

chairmanmeow
06-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I recently had an encounter with a curb that left my driver's side front wheel and rim broken. After a frame straightening, replacement of steering knuckle, lower control arm (+ ball joint) front wheel bearing hub assembly, outter tie rod end and wheel alignment by a very competant mechanic, I drove home disappointed. The sterering seem darty and steering from side to side would cause a lot roll. The car used to steer true and stay very flat when steering side to side. Anyway, I had it back to the mechanic and he replaced the worn rear sway bar links. We all think this has improved things a little but the steering is not what it used to be and my mechanic is out of ideas. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

billr99
06-18-2008, 06:23 AM
You mention that you had an alignment. Was that a 4-wheel alignment? By your description it sounds to me like your car still may not be properly "squared up". One thing that can cause a "darty" character is if one of the ends of the car is setup with a toe-out condition. Just a thought.

Good luck,

Bill

chairmanmeow
06-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks Bill, that what the mechanic thought but it was true to the laser spec on the 4-wheel alignment. I guess "darty" is perhaps not the best term since the rear stabilier link was replaced. The thing that I really notice now is the front end pitches when steering side-to-side and sort of a sloppy feeling. I also changed to fairly worn summer tires after the accident so maybe there is something to that. Thanks agian for your thoughts.

Pat

P.S. Chariman Meow was a 68? P1800 (red) I used to own and love.

Blessyouboys
06-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Did anyone look at the struts and springs?

pdk
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
the other things could be that you replaced the one side with new and the other is worn out and looser which could cause the sloppiness you describe.

chairmanmeow
07-04-2008, 03:02 PM
This may sound strange but it seems to have helped greatly. I developed a steering fluid leak just after the repairs and was down quite a bit. Topped up the fluid and the sterring issues (spongey and tilting when steering from side to side) seem to have cleared up. Should probably change the struts also (140K). Thanks for all the advice.