PDA

View Full Version : ETM Replacement - Warranty 01 XC 79K

jmoser
06-10-2008, 07:11 AM
My 2001 Cross Country was acting up with intermittent loss of power - took it to dealer with no fault codes or messages, this car had the ETM 'software recall' in 2006.
They diagnosed it as ETM, will be covered.

Key symptom to watch - when it shudders or bogs down watch the tach needle - it will dip sharply, different from a hesitation from rough running [dirty injectors, MAF, etc etc.]

Dealer found the engine mount bushing going but I have the urethane IPD replacement at home; also found a broken exhaust hanger which I will check out and rig up a fix vs. the $175 dealer part.

Hoping to make it to 100K before I dump my 1st and last Swedish nightmare; back to uber-reliable Toyota thank you very much.

Jake529
06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
I understand your pain. As far as Toyota goes, not sure if you have heard that Toyota has taken back most of the 1997 to 1999 Toyota tacoma pickups. Frame rust has killed most of those trucks. I had a 1999 Tacoma SR5 V-6 extended cab automatic 4 wheel drive. This truck WAS perfect. Just the right size. Plowing, towing my trailer.... Great gas mileage.. Now its going to get Crushed into a block.... I got $13k for it in a check from Toyota.. New tacomas cost $23k and there are non around because of this massive buy back... Stuck with no truck. So, maybe Toyota is a better company for taking back all of those Taco's and they build them better.. BUT at least Volvo builds them to last longer than my 9 year old truck.....

Jake[cool2]

Forkster
06-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Jmoser - sorry to hear about your issues. However, I'd rather get hit in my Volvo-tank than I would in any tin-can Japanese vehicle. And our Volvo's are just as reliable as any domestic vehicle - abit they are expensive to repair because they are an expensive vehicle. But then again - so was my 99 Nissan Maxima. I spent more on fixing that POS than I have on all the car's I've own the past 20 years.

In my opinion, they're more reliable than Audi, BMW, Chev, Dodge, Ford, Nissan and VW, but less than new Honda, Hyundi, Mits, and Toyota. So it's ok, but not great. It's also unfortunate you got the first year model. :(

JRL
06-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Hoping to make it to 100K before I dump my 1st and last Swedish nightmare; back to uber-reliable Toyota thank you very much.

Unfortunately, you bought the worst possible Volvo there is.

2001 was just a very bad 1st year model, they became much better as the years went on