PDA

View Full Version : "time for regular maintenance" light reset

Roxydog1
06-05-2008, 11:59 AM
HI,
I'm in need of some help. I'm sure this has been addressed here, but I can't seem to find success with the search function, or Google for that matter...

The car is a '07 XC70, and I've gone over to Amsoil. Need to reset the idiot light. Any help appreciated...[happy]

JRL
06-07-2008, 08:53 AM
This may work on an 07, can't hurt to try it

1. Hold down the odometer button
2. Turn the ignition so all the lights come on
3. Keep holding the odometer down for 30 secs or until the service light starts flashing
4. Release the odometer button while service light flashing
5. Turn off and on again to check

bortojo
07-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know the sequence for the 2008 with the push-button ignition?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks.

bortojo
07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I pieced this together from an S80 Forum on another site.

1. Make sure to start with the T1 millage showing on the trip meter. (Not T2)
2. Press the ignition button once with your foot off the brake. The car will not start.
3. Press and hold the trip reset button.
4. While holding it press and hold briefly the ignition button again so that the run position is selected, again with your foot off the brake.
5. Release ignition button, while continuing to hold the trip reset
6. When the "i" begins to flash, release the trip reset.
7. Done

BoBoKwok
08-29-2008, 03:14 AM
I do it on my o1XC
it works

3. Keep holding the odometer down for 30 secs or until the service light starts flashing

RedXC
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
The service light reset on the newer generation system are required to be resetted by VIDA. the old resetting does not work, I have tried it on the new S80,V70, and XC70.

carcrazee412
11-19-2008, 08:10 PM
for the 2001 - 2007 volvo models to shut the service light
1. turn key to position I
2. press odometer button and while doing so turn the key to position II
3. hold odometer button until hazard triangle in center of dash flashes when this occurs release the button.
4. go ahead and start the car and the light should be off.

for the new 2008 volvo xc70 with the push button start [just turned my light off tonight after hitting 14,000 miles]

1. start the car. the time for regular maintenance light will appear.
2. press the button to shut the car off, the time for regular maintenance light should still be on the screen.
3. breifly press the start/stop button, the dashboard will become brighter and the service light will still be on. [you are now in position I]
4. press the odometer button first then quickly press and hold the start stop button until all the idiot lights appear, when this occurs you can release the start stop button.
5. while still holding the odometer button wait until the orange Information icon flashes, when this occurs release the odometer button and you will here an audible signal that the reset has occured.

on both vehicles your radio station presets will be lost after this reset so if you have any stations you like write them down before hand.

beavenx5
03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I pieced this together from an S80 Forum on another site.

1. Make sure to start with the T1 millage showing on the trip meter. (Not T2)
2. Press the ignition button once with your foot off the brake. The car will not start.
4. While holding it press and hold briefly the ignition button again so that the run position is selected, again with your foot off the brake.
5. Release ignition button, while continuing to hold the trip reset
6. When the "i" begins to flash, release the trip reset.
7. Done

I just did this method on my 2009 XC70 T6. Only difference is that I had to keep pressing the ignition button for 5-6 seconds while holding the trip reset in order to get the "i" to flash. Works well and did not reset radio station or other settings. Thanks to all for the great info on this forum.

Lotus99
09-23-2009, 08:14 AM
For those with PCC, you may have to put the key in the slot for it to work.

A&P
02-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Worked like a charm on my 2006 XC90 T5. Thank you. Did not lose my radio station presets.

3. hold odometer button until hazard triangle in center of dash flashes when this occurs release the button.

your radio station presets will be lost after this reset so if you have any stations you like write them down before hand.

XCovlov70
02-27-2011, 04:27 AM
I just did this method on my 2009 XC70 T6. Only difference is that I had to keep pressing the ignition button for 5-6 seconds while holding the trip reset in order to get the "i" to flash. Works well and did not reset radio station or other settings. Thanks to all for the great info on this forum.

Can I ask:

What is the 'i' and where is it?

I have made a note of the 'process' as I would like to try it on the 2011 XC70 when it comes up.

Thanks.[thumbup]

Chenango21
02-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Worked on my new used 07 xc70. Darn message was annoying. Thanks.

Inchindown
02-27-2011, 11:54 PM
The steps detailed here did not work on my 2010 XC70 D5. I suppose I'll just have to wait till the car goes in for service in a couple of weeks. [happy]

XCovlov70
02-28-2011, 09:48 AM
The steps detailed here did not work on my 2010 XC70 D5. I suppose I'll just have to wait till the car goes in for service in a couple of weeks. [happy]

I was going to try it when the time came, so thanks for that.

I was still hoping someone could tell me what & where this 'i' is.
Maybe it's just as well I didn't get the answer!

buzzenergy
03-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Just want to say a big thank you for these posts. I tried it and it worked perfectly

Art
03-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Try employing the SRI reset procedure in the PDF attachment below.

beavenx5
03-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I was going to try it when the time came, so thanks for that.

I was still hoping someone could tell me what & where this 'i' is.
Maybe it's just as well I didn't get the answer!

If my memory is good the "i" appears on the display when you do the procedure

XCovlov70
03-21-2011, 11:32 PM
If my memory is good the "i" appears on the display when you do the procedure

Thanks for that.
I have also downloaded the Instructions from Art to try but as I have 16,000 Miles to go before the 1st Service is due then it could be a few months before I get around to trying it out! :D

Regards [thumbup]

michado
07-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Try employing the SRI reset procedure in the PDF attachment below.

thanks for posting the PDF, it worked like a charm for me, took all of 5 seconds! no more light!

mario010100
11-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Works on my 2007 S40

XCovlov70
12-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Found yesterday that this works on our 2011 XC70!

Thanks JRL! [thumbup][thumbup]

Originally Posted by JRL View Post

jamestodd
02-12-2012, 08:54 AM
2008 XC70 maintenance message reset

1. Make sure to start with the T1 or T2 trip mileage showing.
2. With your foot OFF the brake and the electronic key inserted into its slot, press and release the ignition (start/stop) button. The car will not start, but the displays will be activated.
4. With your foot OFF the brake, while holding the reset button down, press and hold the ignition button until the yellow "i" in the yellow square at the bottom center of the instrument display begins to flash, release both buttons.
5. With your foot ON the brake, start the engine and after a few moments, turn it off. If you got it right, the “time for maintenance” message should not reappear when the motor stops.

mandi
02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
The instructions provided by JRL also work on the 07 XC90. I did have to try it three times but on the third try it worked. I think it was user error the first two times or it would have worked the first two times. Thanks so much!

The local Volvo dealerships refused to tell me how to reset the "Time For Regular Maintenance Light" over the phone. They said it was way too complicated and that I needed to bring it in and pay to have it reset but this worked great! Thanks again!

-MM

desertdawg
06-10-2013, 07:28 PM

on both vehicles your radio station presets will be lost after this reset so if you have any stations you like write them down before hand.

This procedure worked on my '06 XC90 V8. Radio presets were not cleared.

rddowns
01-21-2014, 12:08 PM
It worked on my 2011 C30 too!

Cattrick
02-06-2014, 03:51 PM
IPD to the rescue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5df2WQPONI0

Something between your finger and the odometer pin might be needed as it might hurt like hell keeping the pin pressed for an extended period of time or repeating the process several times if it fails. The eraser tip of a pencil or similar works great.

dr3wfr4nk
10-21-2014, 06:19 AM
Found yesterday that this works on our 2011 XC70!

Thanks JRL! [thumbup][thumbup]

Originally Posted by JRL View Post

This worked on my mother's 2007 XC70

boosted12a
10-21-2014, 06:45 AM
2008 XC70 maintenance message reset

1. Make sure to start with the T1 or T2 trip mileage showing.
2. With your foot OFF the brake and the electronic key inserted into its slot, press and release the ignition (start/stop) button. The car will not start, but the displays will be activated.
4. With your foot OFF the brake, while holding the reset button down, press and hold the ignition button until the yellow "i" in the yellow square at the bottom center of the instrument display begins to flash, release both buttons.
5. With your foot ON the brake, start the engine and after a few moments, turn it off. If you got it right, the “time for maintenance” message should not reappear when the motor stops.

this worked on my 09

hutchiejerrycummin
11-04-2016, 02:19 PM
I tried the method for the earlier models but nothing worked to shut off the "time for etc" light. I have a 2011 XC 90. Is there a new shut off system or should I keep trying to use the system for the older (2007) XC 90's?

Aussie70
02-10-2017, 07:55 PM

worked on my 06 xc70 - stoked!