PDA

View Full Version : "DISC" Message on dash

daharleyrdr
05-19-2008, 06:16 AM
I've been seeing "Disc" message displayed on the dash computer near the trip odometer. When I flip the switch next to the reset button thru the computers various display modes it goes away, only temporarily, then it comes back! What does this mean and how can I fix the problen? Thanks Bill

Jake529
05-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Bill,

What year is your car what type X/C V70. We need info to help you.

Jake

daharleyrdr
05-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Sorry about that
the car is a 2000 V70 Cross Country, thanks Bill

JRL
05-19-2008, 02:44 PM
The switch is dirty
Rotate the switch back and forth about 20 times rather quickly (don't break it) from one side to the other, back and forth

That should clear it out

daharleyrdr
05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
JRL thanks Ill try it hopefully that will fix it or should I look into replacing the switch is that someone like me a weekend mechanic should attempt? Thanks Bill

darag2358
05-24-2008, 05:22 PM
JRL thanks Ill try it hopefully that will fix it or should I look into replacing the switch is that someone like me a weekend mechanic should attempt? Thanks Bill
The switch is an easy replacement, though that particular switch seems harder to get out vs the others in the dash. It just pulls out but you need something like a bone tool to slide in there and disengage the little metal tabs that hold it in. But it just pulls out. You could also remove the switches or blanks on each side of it so you can see it better.

But try the easy fix mentioned already before trying to get a replacement switch. That switch is probably spendy at the dealer. I actually have an extra that I'm selling, but I'm selling it with the whole instrument cluster also, so that doesn't really help you. Might try ebay if you think you need a replacement.

PaperToast
07-12-2008, 12:55 PM
hmm mine is doing the same thing.
tried rotating the switch very fast, no results.
so i took the switch apart and cleaned the contacts with some alcohol and boy was it dirty.
now to see if that works.

i would say try and clean it before getting a new one.

JRL
07-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I would say try and clean it before getting a new one.

Sure, that's the next step, but if that doesn't work than you have to buy a new (or used) switch.

RARELY does the actual trip computer itself go bad