PDA

View Full Version : Revving at idle - throttle surging + droken door hinge?

JRD16
05-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey there, this is my 1st post...

First off I'd like to thank this forum for the vast knowledge it has give me as a "lurker" for a few years now. I had my ABS system re-built via info from this forum and it saved me tons of time and not to mention the big plus, money.

Now on to the problem(s)
I had my ABS module re-built about 2 years ago on my 99 XC70 with 57k. This solved the revving and the blinking dash lights as well as the loss of dash power. Now here we are 2 years later and just the revving has returned. It's a slow rev while idle. Mileage is 77k now.
I made a video. Hopefully this will be helpful in seeing what the problem may be.

Watch the video here (youtube) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Io19hPKZI)

I'm not having any lights come on or loss of dash instruments like I was before, so I'm not sure it's the same problem.
As you can see the only light on the dash is the washer fluid one, and that's just laziness on my part!!

The other issue is the door hinge on the driver side. It's the center hinge and makes a loud crack when I open the door. Is this an easy fix? Also is this a common problem.

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if these questions have been asked a zillion times over, I was having trouble finding an exact answer for these pressing questions using the search function.

-Jeremy

BEJinFBK
05-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I'd be surprised if the ABS has any control of the fuel injection,
but it is the source of your road speed input signal, so maybe.
My first question would be about your ETS. Are you up on this?

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=39438
I don't know much about it, having the older, '98 system,
but there is plenty out there on the subject.

99- Owners? Whatta ya think?

As for the door, you probably just need a new door stop.
They aren't too expensive or difficult to change.

Good Luck!

JRD16
05-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Awesome. I saw a bunch of stuff regarding the ETS, but wasn't sure. I will keep digging, and get the ETS stuff done at the dealer.

BillR
05-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Here's a link to a site that I used to fix this problem with our hinge.

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/door-stay_fix.html

They are fixing an 850, but the problem is the same. The spot weld has failed and welding it would very hard to get right. This solution involves drilling out the broken spot weld and replacing it with a bolt. You can do it yourself for the cost of a short bolt! Once finished, you can't see the change because it's hidden under the rubber boot around the hinge. I did ours two years ago and there's been no further trouble.

Bill

JRL
05-13-2008, 06:09 PM
ETM

darag2358
05-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Regarding the hinge. It could just be a loose bolt on the door check. Open the door and on the door check (middle of door) is a Torx bolt, maybe T30 or so. If that is at all loose, you will get a cracking noise. If that isn't it, then probably the whole door check needs to be replaced. You can get them at FCP or your dealer. Get the OEM ones. To replace, you have to remove the door panel, behind that is a white plastic cover that hides the door check which removes by hand. After that it is just the one Torx bolt and two hex bolts (12mm wrench I think) and the assembly slides out the hole in the door. 30 minute job.