PDA

View Full Version : Auto-dim mirror replacement?

MoeB
05-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Our auto-dimming mirror suddenly quit working a while back and I finally got it tested today. There's a "fault" in the UEM. Probably a $2 part went bad, but thanks to the fine Swedish electronic engineering in these cars, a whole new mirror with software is required. That's $600+ installed and my aftermarket warranty doesn't cover it, so I'm looking for other options.

I know others have suggested replacement with a manual mirror instead, but if the UEM is integrated into the autodim mirror, how do I replace it and keep the UEM electronics? Someone else said they opened one up and the electronics are glued to the back of the electrochromic glass. Can the glass and guts be swapped out? Anybody have pictures or tech notes on the insides?

MoeB
05-04-2008, 12:39 PM
bump

Forkster
05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
If you do a search Moe - someone else had the same issue but went with the dealer ripoff fix for $$$. I am wondering if something just isn't busted or perhaps a software update? My MY04 mirror wasn't working either (previous software patch from 2006 busted it) but a software flash from VIDA October last year fixed it.

MoeB
05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
They said the UEM "fault" was a hardware issue and the only fix was a new mirror unit. Diagnostics were done by a reputable indie shop with VIDA and they know Volvos inside out, but I guess it's possible they could be wrong. Do you still have your invoice from that software flash? If so, what's the part number of the software?