PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 Magnaline filter work better?

howardc64
04-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Installed the 3/8 Magnafine in wife's XC. I have to say, out of all the work I've done on my 2 Volvos (including ETM removal and install + timing belt), this is one of the most frustrating jobs.

I'm sure anyone that installed this would testify that getting the bottom of the filter attached to the tranny return hose is nearly impossible. The 3/8's diameter outlet fit to the inner diameter of the return hose (rubber is very hard and doesn't flex much) is so tight it requires back and forth twisting along with quite a bit of force to get a good connection with a lot of overlap. Doing this the tight space allowed and no leverage is very difficult.

Anyone tried 5/16 version of this filter? 3/8 was awfully tight, maybe 5/16s is just right? It would seem this would make it a lot easier to install.

I also made the mistake of removing too much line (about 3 inches) so when I finally got it in, I wasn't comfortable with the compression (not a kink but def compressed a bit) in the line where it bends at the bottom of the filter. Even when I only had 2 inches taken off, you can feel a bit of compression.

So I finally got a L shaped tube from the auto store, make a elbow to turn the line toward the tranny after exiting the filter and connected to the tranny return line (cut to fairly short so to meet the elbow in the right place) via a brass fitting. Even after doing this, the elbow is compressed a little as the filter outlet is so far below the transmission hose (I cut the return line at the filter inlet as short as possible while still allowing for a full connection)

To refine this installation, I'd imagine 5/16s (easier to connect in such tight space) and removing very little of the return line (1 inch tops) to evenly distribute the bend. Anyone tried this?

KCsXC
04-29-2008, 01:38 PM
I installed the 3/8" in my 2002 V70XC. I removed the entire line and fit the filter where it would be the least intrusive on the natural bends of the line. Do not recall exactly how much line was removed. Overall job not too bad.

KC