PDA

View Full Version : bought 2004 XC70 did we pay to much/

Roselake
04-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. we are first time Volvo owners, we just bought an 04 XC70 with 42756 miles.(ruby red) We paid $17,000. The warranty expired 2 days before we bought it, but Volvo dealership (where we had the car checked out) agreed to honor the warranty and replace front right wheel bearing, control arm and sway bar links. The car has brand new tires on it. We had the tranny fluid changed, it was a bit dark, ( a flush was not recommended), and the dealer we bought it from agreed to put new brakes and rotors (front and back) on it for cost. we have a 3rd row seat, the dealer will install that for around $450.00. All the work should be done by next week. How did we do?
Thanks for the input.
RL

Jake529
04-26-2008, 03:27 PM
JRL is the man that should answer this... He is the pro... But I think that the dealer doing all that is a good thing.. As long as you feel good about it thats all that matter. You guys are making the monthly payments. If it was me, I would be happy.. Good purchase and good luck to on your "NEW"

~V~

Jake

srs
04-26-2008, 07:00 PM
You can price compare other dealers' inventory at
http://volvocarspreowned.autotrader.com/dealerdirect/index.jsp?address=&make=VOLVO&certified=y&dd_brand=VOLVO
Click off the "Show only Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles" box.

Your dealership sounds like a good one. Which dealership is it?

JRL
04-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. we are first time Volvo owners, we just bought an 04 XC70 with 42756 miles.(ruby red) We paid $17,000. The warranty expired 2 days before we bought it, but Volvo dealership (where we had the car checked out) agreed to honor the warranty and replace front right wheel bearing, control arm and sway bar links. The car has brand new tires on it. We had the tranny fluid changed, it was a bit dark, ( a flush was not recommended), and the dealer we bought it from agreed to put new brakes and rotors (front and back) on it for cost. we have a 3rd row seat, the dealer will install that for around $450.00. All the work should be done by next week. How did we do?
Thanks for the input.
RL

Seat install is under 3 hours, $450 seems a bit steep as was the car price, (but they did do some stuff.)[sly]
You should have them pay for the brakes at that price

Roselake
04-28-2008, 06:48 AM
I agree on the brakes. Initially the salesman sort of agreed to pay for them, but later when we discussed it, he had spoken to his manager and wouldn't do it. My hubby liked the car (so do I) and the mileage was what he wanted, and since the Volvo dealership, Traverse Motors, (not where we bought the car) was willing to honor the warranty, we decided to go ahead with the deal. They checked the car out good, and hopefully we will have no surprises. It may actually cost less to have the 3rd row seat put in, the guy who usually does it, is no longer with the dealership, and they haven't done one in a long time. The Service manager said the qoute is probably high, but said he would rather be high on it than low. Not many Volvos' or Volvo dealerships here in northern Mi. The nearest ones are 65 miles and 90 miles away. The one 90 miles away has ridicules prices on everything. The Service manager at TM seems fair, he even offered us a loaner for the day while we had the work done, but we aren't picking the car up until it is set to go, so we didn't need the loaner. Thanks for all the comments. This forum looks great, hopefully I will be able to contribute to it, once we get a bit of "Volvo experience" under our belts.

srs
04-28-2008, 05:02 PM
You might also want to get estimates from Dave's Garage and/or Lakeside Automotive. Both are independent mechanics in Traverse City that work on Volvos. Both have techs that worked at the dealership at one time.

Perhaps of interest as a MI Volvo owner:
http://www.greatlakesvolvoclub.org/default.htm which is our new local chapter of http://www.vcoa.org/.

Enjoy your "new" car!

Roselake
04-30-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks so much for the info. I will check them out. We were hoping to find some qualified Volvo Mechanics who weren't with a dealership. I will give them a call today about the 3rd row seat. As "newbies" in the Volvo world, we need all the help we can get.
Rose

Jake529
04-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Rose,

Your in the right place, so many people go willy nilly into car purchases WITHOUT asking questions. This place has so many people that can answer ANY questions about Volvo's. JRL is the master of one liners and just plain calls it like it is. The rest of them have a bevy of info rolling around inside their heads. Good luck, and ride safe in you ~V~

Joliet Jake
Nashua NH

Forkster
04-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Don't forget to check out the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum! [thumbup]

Roselake
04-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I called Lakeside Auto this morning, the quote I got on getting the 3rd row seat installed was half of what the volvo dealer quoted me. He said it should be a 3 hour job, possibly 4 if he needs to pull the carpet to get at the pre drilled holes. We have an appointment to take it in on Monday. Thanks for saving us some $$! I'm liking this site better and better.

JRL
04-30-2008, 07:50 PM
No need to pull the carpet