PDA

View Full Version : xc's and canoes-why can't we get along

havesome
04-25-2008, 07:56 AM
hello volvo lovers,yes i love my burgundy 03 but dam why does volvo not have tie down points at the front and rear to tie off a canoe safely?do they not use the roof rack for canoes in sweded or what. i know some have suggested using the eye hook/tow hook but come on,the front is off center so its a bad tie off and then there is nothing in the back.the bumber area has nothing to hook onto either.so my xc and canoeing people how do you tie off your boats when heading out?

DobiesXC
04-25-2008, 08:53 AM
I use the less than perfect off-centre front tow hook, and in the back I use the trailer hitch. If you don't have a trailer hitch installed, that obviously wlll not work for you. Sorry I can't be more help

Art
04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I know of others in the kayaking community who utilize lengths of webbing and attach them to stable points around the perimeter of the engine bay as demonstrated in the photo below. There is a large opening in the front center section under the hood that just might provide an appropriate tie down point. The bow of the canoe should extend far out enough so the webbing doesn't impede or rub against the leading edge of the hood. For added precaution, wrapping some padding around the webbing would also help.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/TieDownPoint.jpg

I would tend to agree with DobiesXC. Although it might be off center, the front tow hook, IMO, is still the most secure tie down point on the XC. FWIW, there should also be a port on the rear bumper to accommodate an additional tow hook.

striperhound
04-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I found the eyehooks a great tie off spot, but I do see your point about lack of center positioning on the front of the car. I think you'll need to sneak a strap around the front bumper and attach an eye or carabiner to the strap for a tie off point.

When looking for a new car last year I looked at a lot of cars and many no way could you tie off a bow and stern line.

PDXXC
04-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey...another used for bull bars!

Sasquatch
04-26-2008, 07:01 AM
hello volvo lovers,yes i love my burgundy 03 but dam why does volvo not have tie down points at the front and rear to tie off a canoe safely?do they not use the roof rack for canoes in sweded or what. i know some have suggested using the eye hook/tow hook but come on,the front is off center so its a bad tie off and then there is nothing in the back.the bumber area has nothing to hook onto either.so my xc and canoeing people how do you tie off your boats when heading out?

Use a bungie cord to each fender.

budrichard
04-26-2008, 09:48 AM
The front and rear eyelets even though off center have proved to be no problem in carrying an 18' Jensen, 18' Current Designs Solstice HV, 16' Dagger Whitewater canoe and Prijon WW kayak. I use either of the two XC's that we have with Yakima racks and tie downs. I find the 'Hully Rollers' particularly useful in one person car topping with the Current Designs. Even in kevlar, the Current Designs is still is an awkward 50 #'s.-Dick

Skid_o
04-28-2008, 07:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a photo of where we tie our canoe in the front. There is hole in the middle on the front. On the back i have a trailer hitch to hook on to.

Art
04-28-2008, 09:51 AM
I looked at that location too. My only concern would be the risk of the hooks releasing their grip if there was any slack in the painter lines. I know for a fact that driving in the rain periodically requires taking up the slack on the tie downs. One way to avoid this might be to attach a loop of webbing or rope to the center of a short piece of steel rod and then slip the entire works into the hole. This would provide a safer alternative than just attaching the hooks to the edge of the opening. Just a thought.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b249/Batstar/IMG_9296.jpg

elib
05-15-2008, 03:27 PM
If your lines are stretching in the rain you need some better lines man! Look at some high performance lines for small sail boats, probably something for boats in the 14-18 foot range would be perfect. Make sure you get something with zero stretch, probably something made for a jib sheet or main sheet would be perfect. The painter lines you use are made to stretch to absorb shock when your tied to a dock etc. It will be a little pricey but it will probably last forever if you take care of it and it should never stretch.

Some hardcore racers even take the cores out of lines and just use the casings to shed weight.

- Eli