PDA

View Full Version : New Trans Results

clemstock
04-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if I could get some feedback about people who have replaced their transmissions and what a difference it made.

I have a 02 V70 XC with 120K. I've been reading this forum for quite some time and have replaced the fluid and the B4 Servo. I've never really had a "flare" but after I have been driving for a long time or been sitting in idle for 10 minutes, I get a lot of extremely hard P -> D engagements and very hard 2 -> 1 downshifts. Everything else is fine. I just replaced the front suspension and installed a 3rd row seat so I'd like to keep this car for another >100k miles. Is my trans a disaster waiting to happen? The dealer can replace it with new Volvo Trans for 2600 out the door. Is it worth it to just replace it now to avoid headache later and possibly a more expensive fix? I'd really appreciate your thoughts, especially those who have replacements in 2002's.

santon
04-22-2008, 10:24 AM
it must be true when they say volvo owners have deep pockets. you are willing to spring the money for a new trans "just in case", wow! good for you, you must be doing ok for yourself.

in short, save your money and go to CUBA for two weeks witht your wife to get your mind off things. actually you are american, you cant fly to cuba. Come up to canada and fly from here.

Jake529
04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
If you have the $2600.00 and like the car, go for it... If you don't have it, then trade the beast IN.....

Jake

sejman
04-22-2008, 12:02 PM
I had the transmission replaced in my 2001 V70XC at about 70K miles after it died. Fortunately, it was covered under the extended warranty. However, about 25K miles later, I am getting similar symptoms as you - hard up/down shifts between 1/2 - rest of gears are fine. My car now needs a new radiator ($800) and the front suspension components are worn. Add brakes, tires, andmaybe transmission issues again and I'm thinking I'm done.

Many people recommend the "Gibbons" tranny flushing method as a fix for general transmissions maladies and prevention. You may want to give that a try.