PDA

View Full Version : I am beyond furious ...!

PierreC
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
I have just got home after collecting my 2001 XC from its 120.000 km (75.000 mile) service.

The interesting item on the invoice was 4 liters of transmission fluid, for the "replacement of the ATF"

Upon querying this, I was shown a new Volvo maintenance schedule (released at the beginning of April) which now specifies replacement of ATF at certain intervals.

Needless to say, I refused to pay for the ATF because Volvo had not contacted me to advise me of this change of maintenance schedule... and the dealer also had not called me during the day to request specific permission. This is on top of the fact that "replacement" of ATF is NOT 4 liters if the gearbox capacity is 8+ liters!

When I got home, I inspected the containers (I have a standing "rule" that all replaced parts and containers must be returned!) only to find out that the AFT that was used comprised the following mix:
- 1 liter Volvo ATF
- 2 liters Castrol Automatic TRANSMAX M
- 1 liter Valvoline Universal Type IID ATF

I am speechless!

howardc64
04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Actually, I think drain and fill is quite a common practice. My very reputable swedish car only independent shop does that as their standard 30k mile service for Volvos. Without knowing the ATF flushing history of the car, I read flushing can actually make it worse (move the harmful build up around in the transmission and mess up internal intricate parts) I had a early 90s 5 series BMW and it was common for the auto tranny to die after flushing if it had not been flushed for a long interval (say 10+ years and 100k miles). So I think it is natural for shops to avoid this kind of liability and just to drain and fill. I'm pretty sure transmission mechanics will tell you this.

Maybe 75k isn't so bad yet to flush without problem. And surely every transmission design has its own characteristics. But the shop has really no knowledge of the internal conditions inside the transmission. Therefore, they don't take that chance.

However, it is also common for US independent shops to use ONLY Volvo fluid even if it is more expensive. They avoid liability of not using manufacturer's fluid.

Hope this helps.

funglenn
04-11-2008, 12:43 PM
I have just got home after collecting my 2001 XC from its 120.000 km (75.000 mile) service.

The interesting item on the invoice was 4 liters of transmission fluid, for the "replacement of the ATF"

Upon querying this, I was shown a new Volvo maintenance schedule (released at the beginning of April) which now specifies replacement of ATF at certain intervals.

Needless to say, I refused to pay for the ATF because Volvo had not contacted me to advise me of this change of maintenance schedule... and the dealer also had not called me during the day to request specific permission. This is on top of the fact that "replacement" of ATF is NOT 4 liters if the gearbox capacity is 8+ liters!

When I got home, I inspected the containers (I have a standing "rule" that all replaced parts and containers must be returned!) only to find out that the AFT that was used comprised the following mix:
- 1 liter Volvo ATF

I am speechless!

Replacing the fluid is not a bad idea, many have done it to help ensure a long life out of this tranmission. Also think about changing the angle gear oil as well soon. You will never get all 8 liters out unless you have them do a power flush, but most dealers do not like this. getting 4 only is common practice.

Although they did not mention it to you--and bad on them, with the mileage of the car, it is not a bad idea. Either way bad on them, but they are looking out for what is best for you car.

J-R
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I guess PierreCs point here is that most people in here flush their transmissions themselves and therefore do not want the dealer to do it. Done properly according to the "Gibbons method" is the same procedure described by VADIS and will not damage your transmission!!

- 1 liter Volvo ATF

I am speechless!

I would have bought some gallons of Toyota T-IV and flushed the transmission asap to get that crap out..

PierreC
04-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I had in fact flushed the transmission with 16 liters of T-IV only 10.000 km ago.

My complaint is the fact that the dealer (stealer?) thinks that a "flush" requires only 4 liters, and then the &*%$ that they put in!

JRL
04-12-2008, 05:05 AM
Since you just did it yourself and what they did seems a bit weird, INSIST
they do another flush (on them) and with ALL the proper fluid, 3309

PierreC
04-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Since you just did it yourself and what they did seems a bit weird, INSIST
they do another flush (on them) and with ALL the proper fluid, 3309

You bet I will! It is just the inconvenience, and I am scared that they will stuff up something else!

PierreC
04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
After numerous phone calls to Volvo Cars South Africa (VCSA), Castrol South Africa, Valvoline South Africa and the dealer, it was confirmed by ALL parties that:

The non-Volvo ATF used is wrong for the car and can cause damage to the transmission
The dealer was "delinquent" in using non-Volvo ATF (it is essentially fraud)
The dealer was at fault to only drain/refill the sump and not do a power flush of the complete transmission.

The dealer has now agreed to (at his cost) do a power flush with the full quantity of 14 litres of genuine Volvo ATF!

By the way, there was another "small" problem that they will also fix, after also acknowledging that they stuffed up: I supplied a sufficient quantity of my own full synthetic engine oil ... However, the technician had already drained / refilled the engine with their own semi-synthetic before he read the job card noting that I had supplied my own oil, and then just kept quiet! So the dealer will also do an engine flush, replace the oil filter and fill the engine with full synthetic oil --- all at their own cost.

Just for good measure, I had laid a formal complain about the dealer's incompetence with VCSA - don't know if it will help but, hell, somebody has to fight back!

PDXXC
04-14-2008, 10:01 AM
After numerous phone calls to Volvo Cars South Africa (VCSA), Castrol South Africa, Valvoline South Africa and the dealer, it was confirmed by ALL parties that:

The non-Volvo ATF used is wrong for the car and can cause damage to the transmission
The dealer was "delinquent" in using non-Volvo ATF (it is essentially fraud)
The dealer was at fault to only drain/refill the sump and not do a power flush of the complete transmission.

The dealer has now agreed to (at his cost) do a power flush with the full quantity of 14 litres of genuine Volvo ATF!

By the way, there was another "small" problem that they will also fix, after also acknowledging that they stuffed up: I supplied a sufficient quantity of my own full synthetic engine oil ... However, the technician had already drained / refilled the engine with their own semi-synthetic before he read the job card noting that I had supplied my own oil, and then just kept quiet! So the dealer will also do an engine flush, replace the oil filter and fill the engine with full synthetic oil --- all at their own cost.

Just for good measure, I had laid a formal complain about the dealer's incompetence with VCSA - don't know if it will help but, hell, somebody has to fight back!
They sound like a bunch of ****heads...maybe you should insist on being present when they do the work or at least insist that a technical person from Volvo SA be present to "supervise".
Good luck with this.

TiredGeek
04-15-2008, 06:49 AM
I would insist on being present and watching them do the work. I would also want to inspect the oil containers for sealed before they start, from what you have said I wouldn't put it past them to fill containers with any old rubbish and tell you it's the right stuff.
They don't really care if your gearbox/engine suffer long term damage, by the time it shows up you will have no way of proving it was their fault.

Then I'd start talking to Volvo owners at the supermarket/fuel stations and anywhere else you spot one, find out where they go for service. I sure as hell wouldn't trust my (expensive) car to those guys again.

funglenn
04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
I would insist on being present and watching them do the work. I would also want to inspect the oil containers for sealed before they start, from what you have said I wouldn't put it past them to fill containers with any old rubbish and tell you it's the right stuff.
They don't really care if your gearbox/engine suffer long term damage, by the time it shows up you will have no way of proving it was their fault.

Then I'd start talking to Volvo owners at the supermarket/fuel stations and anywhere else you spot one, find out where they go for service. I sure as hell wouldn't trust my (expensive) car to those guys again.

Yes, but where does it stop? Would you retorque their bolts to ensure they were done right? What about the parts? Bottom line if you don't trust them move on.