PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt change - vibration damper

howardc64
04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
01 V70 T5 at 105k miles.

Anyone knows if if the timing belt can be replaced without removing the vibration damper? Is there a way to work the old belt out of the crankshaft pulley (or cut it) and the new one back on without removing this part?

Looks like the following special counter hold tool is necessarily for the damper removal. The 4 slots on the tool seems to be for holding and preventing the crankshaft from turning while removing the nut that holds the vibration damper? Is this correct?

Just want to get a full picture in my head before doing this. Thanks.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/howardc64/counterholdtool.jpg

Willy
04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Yes, the special tool is a counterhold, also see the instructions here:
http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/timing-belt-replacement2.pdf
Willy

Jeremy
04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Howard,

I did my timing belt a few months ago on my 2001 XC.

I used a 30mm impact socket on an impact wrench. Before I removing the belt I broke the nut free then went ahead and continued on. The nut came right off but the pulley required a little help with a few wood pry bars, a small puller would be better.

Now saying that my friend had a 2002 T5 and followed my instructions and had a hell of a time getting the nut loose but after using clamps and bars he got it loose.

You can try the impact method pretty easily without much disassembly. You may even be able to have a shop break it loose and re tighten then do the rest yourself. As with must cars the first time loosening is a bitch. Belt changes from here on will be a piece of cake.

Jeremy

howardc64
04-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Thanks Jeremy. I heard there is a way to get the belt off/on without taking out the vibration damper.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt3.php

I checked with a member that did his 2001 and was able to sneak the belt off by the above direction. I'll give that a try and post my findings. I guess I should have a impact wrench ready just in case :)

Jeremy
04-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Keep me posted if that works. I don't remember there being enough room but then I really didn't look or try to hard either. I have to do my wifes V70 in about 10K so that would be nice not to have to fight the nut.
Jeremy

psaboic
04-13-2008, 08:24 PM
It can be done without removing the dampener. I did it on our 01 XC 70 last year. It just take a little working of the belt, and a bit of patience.

srs
04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
It can be done without removing the dampener. I did it on our 01 XC 70 last year. It just take a little working of the belt, and a bit of patience.

I agree. I did mine the same way. Be careful not to damage the new belt when sqeezing it in. Premature failure can ruin the engine. Consider replacing the tensioner and idler pulleys also.
I ended up purchasing the tool (by telephone from http://www.spxvtc.com/) right after because I notice the rubber was all cracked on the dampener and so I replaced it. Very easy with the tool. It will help next time the belt is done.

howardc64
04-19-2008, 12:03 AM

Without taking damper off, its like a fishing trip. Have to clear the new belt over 2 metal tips near the tooth on the crankshaft

- One at 6 o'clock (the hard one, I didn't crawl on the ground so it is all by feel)
- One at 4 o'clock

Also have to clear 2 plastic brackets (I didn't try to remove this) even after taken off the one held by 2 10mm bolts.

- One at 9 o'clock (the harder one)
- One at 1 o'clock

I decided to work the old belt off for practice. But that only helped somewhat. There must be a best sequence to clear these obstructions and angle to work the belt in. And yes, becareful not to mess up your new belt. Lots of tights spaces and need to turn and twist the belt as well.

Here is a couple of more tips

- When you take the tube of coolant reservoir (the tube leading to the radiator) the tube will leak a lot of coolant. Get something ready to plug it.

- Not much space to rotate the accessory belt tensioner. IPD sells an extra long handle tool for this. A wrench with a built in ratchet helps too.

Chicho
06-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Hello all,

I have just done the belt on my 01,

Compared to other cars I have done this is an easy job.

As Howard64 said the two 10mm bolts he didn’t take off should be taken off. With that cover removed the belt will practically fall out now.

Line up the dots on the top cover, remove old belt and don’t move anything!! Place the new belt on tighten the damper/adjuster as the Volvo instructions and you’re basically done.
Rotate engine 720 deg make sure that all the dots line up, fit all the covers back.
I replaced the damper and idler bearings but the original were fine after 150k!

You literally need a 30mm, 10mm, 13mm spanner or sockets and the torx to remove the top cover, no special tools and no need to remove the top cross bar.

I can’t believe what they charge to do this simple job.[nonono]

shuv70
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I have 2003 V70 2.4T, at 70k miles, need the belt change (and tune up), would really like to have a picture of where the plastic bracket Chicho and Howard64 referred to... (top cover of the crankshaft ??) 2nd pic from http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/timing-belt-replacement2.pdf

also, any know how much the 9995433 counterhold is?

sounds like removing the vibration damper is "unnecessary" ?

thx

JRL
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I have a

2003 V70 2.4T, at 70k miles, need the belt change (and tune up),

would really like to have a picture of where the plastic bracket Chicho and Howard64 referred to... (top cover of the crankshaft ??) 2nd pic from http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/timing-belt-replacement2.pdf

also, any know how much the 9995433 counterhold is?

sounds like removing the vibration damper is "unnecessary" ?

thx
No you do not.
105K miles or 7 years, you're not even close

howardc64
07-01-2008, 10:27 PM
This following Volvo tech doesn't seem to like Volvo's recommended 105k mileage for timing belt changes

http://www.volvoforums.com/m_81259/tm.htm

But I did mine at 109k and everything looked fine when I changed it.

Regarding the damper, you don't need to take it out. I did take the plastic bracket held in by 2 10mm bolt off and it is still quite a fishing trip to wiggle the belt off and on. Here is the direction to the bracket I took off

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/timingbelt3.php

While this direction is for older Volvos with a different tensioner, the bracket is in the same place as this picture (bottom of the pulley)

Chicho sounds like he had a much easier time. Maybe there is another plastic bracket held in by 2 10mm bolts that I didn't see in any of the directions. I do recall there were some plastic obstructions that made the belt hard to come off and go on. I didn't see any removal directions this particular part.

Here are my notes from my timing belt job. I noted where the blockage points are when fishing the belt off and on.

http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/engine.htm

Chicho
07-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Hmmm..
Our engines looks slightly different, I don’t have the hydraulic tensioner.

That bracket with the two 10mm bolts looks like the one I took off, it is facing the front of the car at about 2 and 5 o’clock looking at it from the harmonic balance wheel.

On the tune-up, you cannot do this on this car it’s all electronic – just change the plugs filters and oils.

shuv70
07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
thanks for the response, I was reading the volvoforum TECH's post, and decide to do the belt change, I am planning to do, spark plug, oil, tranny, and fuel filter at the same time, will check the brake pad, if needed, I will probably do the rotor as well, since it will be the 2nd pad on current rotor.

I have read that water pump is pretty good in volvo(not like my bimmer 325 ;) ) so I will leave that off the list, unless I see something odd, then I may have to order one (www.perlicanparts.com)

Howard's website is great!

howardc64
07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Just fair warning shu70 :)

As you know this is an interference engine so if something goes wrong in the timing belt job, big damage can occur. volvospeed's directions gave the same warning.

Anyway, sound like you've tinkered with the 325 so you know the risks :)

I think an indy will only charge 2+ hours for this job. The parts from fcpgroton (timing belt kit including belt, tensioner, idler) is around $130 as I recall.

Fishing the belt off and on is the hardest part. Sometimes looks almost impossible. Just review the blocking points I listed. I've only done one of these so haven't figured out any good entry and exist angles/spots :( If I did it again, I would practice with the old belt to find the least damaging path for the new belt.

shuv70
07-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Howard, appreciated, I know the risk, from those pics posted by different volvo members ... I saw some member recommend to crank engineer over after fitting the new belt to make sure the alignment before turn the engine on, it is probably a good step to add...

btw, I made the same mistake on the brake clips, I found it out later since I was questioning the way I put it on in the first place, and checked against a neighbor's volvo to figure it out, but by then I lost one of the clip already, somehow, I still have a longer than usual brake pedal distance.

given all the messages, I am actually considering to defer the timing belt change to next year of so ;)

softerik
08-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Agree with Chicho!!

Very easy job !! I did it on a XC70 2002

YOU D'ONT NEED TO REMOVE THE "VIBRATION DAMPER"

Just fully remove the small cover right behind the damper, there only two 10mm bolt. I remove this cover without raising the car or removing the wheel, just fully turn the wheel to the right to have space and your good to follow volvo instruction to remove the belt.

A small garage in Montreal they charge over $500.00 to do this.

I pay $123.95 for a kit (belt - tensionner - Idler Bearing )at Ebay and took 2hrs to do-it with no experience with that car.[thumbup]

JimP
08-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Agree with Chicho!!

Very easy job !! I did it on a XC70 2002

YOU D'ONT NEED TO REMOVE THE "VIBRATION DAMPER"

Just fully remove the small cover right behind the damper, there only two 10mm bolt. I remove this cover without raising the car or removing the wheel, just fully turn the wheel to the right to have space and your good to follow volvo instruction to remove the belt.

A small garage in Montreal they charge over $500.00 to do this.

I pay $123.95 for a kit (belt - tensionner - Idler Bearing )at Ebay and took 2hrs to do-it with no experience with that car.[thumbup]

Is it possible that the factory timing is off? I am doing the first replacement on a 2006 XC90 5 cyl. I assume that the mark is a really small arrow in the cam sprockets. I don't see a notch as shown on the manual.

The car has always had a bad hesitation, maybe that is the reason?

JimP
08-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Does the nut come off CCW?

Vicious Meistersinger
04-27-2014, 05:28 AM
Nice one man